Signing(s): Curtis Granderson signs with the Blue Jays (1 year, $5 million)

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
He was a target of mine once free agency started, will make a good platoon with Pearce if that’s the plan. However, this better not be the only outfield addition they make this offseason.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Giggity. Was always a fan of this guy. I know he's older now and has his limitations. Could either play a corner for a bit or be a flat out platoon. Either way, i like it.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
While none of the moves the Jays have made this off season really excite me they are small things that do make the team better and fill some holes without committing much in terms of money or giving up key prospects. Can't complain much but can't really feel great about it either

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The grandy man can!

Always loved Granderson going back to his heyday in Detroit. Glad to have him aboard.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
If he hits for the Jays at all the fans will love him. One of the most likable Yankees I can ever remember cheering for. Hoping for big things even if he's on a division rival.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I guess he was Plan B if they couldn't nab Cutch.

Low risk move. Still looking shaky as a whole out there in the OF.

Pearce, Pillar, Zeke, Granderson, Alford, Hernandez, maybe Pompey? :help:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
career wOBA splits

Granderson: .366 vs RHP, .306 vs LHP
Pearce: .356 vs LHP, .311 vs RHP

Grandy can't hit lefties, Pearce can't hit righties. Probably platoon between them. Jays reportedely seeking another outfielder.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
This and the Solarte moves are the types of moves I was afraid of from Shatkins - moves designed to make the team "competitive" into next season. Has to be the oldest team in the majors at this point...Granderson is 35 or 36. Management will act like they are competing for a wild card when in reality they will be lucky to match last year's win total. They might fool some of the casual fans of the Jays (of which they are quite a few) into believing the team is making a push for the playoffs and thus, bring decent crowds in the early going. That will quickly dissipate though with what is shaping up to be the worst outfield in the AL and possibly MLB, an injury-prone middle infield and a first baseman/dh unlikely to come anywhere close to the numbers he posted last season.

Payroll looks to be declining as well this season by the looks of things and may very well decline the following year as attendance will nosedive for the Jays as the season progresses...Rogers has always underpaid relative to the size of the market outside one season.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I guess he was Plan B if they couldn't nab Cutch.

Low risk move. Still looking shaky as a whole out there in the OF.

Pearce, Pillar, Zeke, Granderson, Alford, Hernandez, maybe Pompey? :help:

Shatkins trading prospects for a good player? Hahaha good one :laugh:

This and the Solarte moves are the types of moves I was afraid of from Shatkins - moves designed to make the team "competitive" into next season. Has to be the oldest team in the majors at this point...Granderson is 35 or 36. Management will act like they are competing for a wild card when in reality they will be lucky to match last year's win total. They might fool some of the casual fans of the Jays (of which they are quite a few) into believing the team is making a push for the playoffs and thus, bring decent crowds in the early going. That will quickly dissipate though with what is shaping up to be the worst outfield in the AL and possibly MLB, an injury-prone middle infield and a first baseman/dh unlikely to come anywhere close to the numbers he posted last season.

Payroll looks to be declining as well this season by the looks of things and may very well decline the following year as attendance will nosedive for the Jays as the season progresses...Rogers has always underpaid relative to the size of the market outside one season.

Part of it is Rogers and their desire not to spend like the big market team they are (like did they forgot how many games they sold out 2015-2016 when the team was good?) and the other part of it was hiring Shapiro. He is a small market guy who has no business running a big market team, thus you get signings like Granderson where you hope the player will be good but its not likely. Things would have been very different if they had been able to hire Duquette or Kenny Williams.

Reactions: sparxx87

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Shatkins trading prospects for a good player? Hahaha good one :laugh:

Part of it is Rogers and their desire not to spend like the big market team they are (like did they forgot how many games they sold out 2015-2016 when the team was good?) and the other part of it was hiring Shapiro. He is a small market guy who has no business running a big market team, thus you get signings like Granderson where you hope the player will be good but its not likely. Things would have been very different if they had been able to hire Duquette or Kenny Williams.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting them to clear the cupboards either. AA already tried that and it wasn't enough.

Just keen on finding out what their next move might be. Assuming there is one. :laugh:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Decent depth pickup here. Hope they get another outfielder before the season starts though. (Yelich is available from Miami)

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Decent depth pickup here. Hope they get another outfielder before the season starts though. (Yelich is available from Miami)
He is, but apparently the Jays inquired before Ozuna was moved as the ask was Bo + Vlad.

I’d love Yelich, he’s exactly the player they need, but the organization isn’t in a place to pay that sort of price.

Voight said it best - Shipiro is a small market guy who finds himself in a big market. Free agents and trades will all be ‘buy-low’ scenarios. No more big fish.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He is, but apparently the Jays inquired before Ozuna was moved as the ask was Bo + Vlad.

I’d love Yelich, he’s exactly the player they need, but the organization isn’t in a place to pay that sort of price.

Voight said it best - Shipiro is a small market guy who finds himself in a big market. Free agents and trades will all be ‘buy-low’ scenarios. No more big fish.

I don't know why the ask for Blue Jays is always so high then the players always get traded for less. Vlad is a top 2 prospect in all of baseball and Bo will be really high this year as long as he doesn't take a nosedive. I'm not sure if what's getting leaked is always the extreme price example, but it seems to always the reported asking price when the Jays are involved.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

I get kind of confused when people say Toronto doesn’t act like a big market team. They have had a top ten opening day payroll the last 5 years...including the 5th highest last year. Not to mention the effect of the exchange rate. They spend money.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I get kind of confused when people say Toronto doesn’t act like a big market team. They have had a top ten opening day payroll the last 5 years...including the 5th highest last year. Not to mention the effect of the exchange rate. They spend money.

I think it's because we never make big FA splashes or sign players to contract that are like 8 years and 328345 billion dollars. There is no doubt that there is at least a slight bias against Toronto when it comes to players signing there. It is what it is. I don't know if I'd say the Shatkins combo has done a great job but they haven't really done anything atrocious either.

They let Price walk which was the right decision. They didn't cave to Bautista which was also the right decision. The EE thing probably could have been handled better but EE bungled that too. The Jays offered 4/80 and he turned it down, eventually signing for 3/60. Would I prefer to have EE over Molases? Of course but I don't think having EE makes the Jays contenders for anything either. They likely end up exactly where they were last year with or without.

I'd rather them pay (next to) nothing for bandaid short terms upgrades and wait until they are in a better condition to compete than blow their brains out on Lorenzo Cain or JD Martinez. I'm pretty firmly in the trade JD camp as well. I don't think he resigns long term so better get something good for him now. And if he does sign long term it will probably be a mistake. The Jays might be ready to compete again in 2-3. Might as well save up for then.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don’t think there is necessarily anything wrong with having a small market mindset even in a large market, especially when it comes to guys at the bottom part of the roster like Granderson. Hell, that is how Boston won the WS in 2013 by surrounding their top players with a bunch of low risk/medium reward type guys on short deals. We have also seen Boston and NY focus a lot more on drafting and developing their own guys to plug holes much more than they used to. How often do those long term, FA deals work out anyways? I am sure Duquette is ecstatic right now with that contract he gave Chris Davis....or KC with Gordon.

I know it’s not a sexy move, but Toronto is an improved team by replacing Bautista and whatever he made last year with Granderson for 5M.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad