Confirmed with Link: Curtis Glencross Traded to Washington for 2nd&3rd Round Picks

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not really a surprise. Glencross sees himself these days as a true sniper rather than a gritty player with a good shot.

Fine, in that case he can go. I'm tired of watching him try to dangle through an entire team only to inevitably turn the puck over, every single time.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Wow unexpected, very interesting. Hurts are playoff expectations for sure but I think in the long run it would be a good move.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel that he is wanting a 3-4 year term with good $ attached to it. My guess is I don't think we were willing to give him the term.
and trading a vet during a playoff run in mistake. I've made that very clear. Unless we get an overpayment there is no way he should be moved.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Would you be happy if he got 4 years at 4 million extension?

Edit: I think he could get more then that personally and I would not want that.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
and trading a vet during a playoff run in mistake. I've made that very clear. Unless we get an overpayment there is no way he should be moved.

The Flames making the playoffs is a bonus. What Treliving is doing is asset management for a rebuilding team. I guarantee we get can a 2nd and a good prospect out of Glencross, maybe just a late 1st if a team really wanted to overpay for him. 15 teams called about him, but Glencross gave his list. Hopefully we do see overpayment.

Besides, we have Adirondack players that are capable of playing in the NHL. We won't miss a beat without Glencross.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not utilizing asset management when the team is still early in a rebuild is a far bigger mistake. Besides, the return is still up in the air, if he's even traded at all.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames making the playoffs is a bonus. What Treliving is doing is asset management for a rebuilding team. I guarantee we get can a 2nd and a good prospect out of Glencross, maybe just a late 1st if a team really wanted to overpay for him. 15 teams called about him, but Glencross gave his list. Hopefully we do see overpayment.

Besides, we have Adirondack players that are capable of playing in the NHL. We won't miss a beat without Glencross.
I'd say a extra 2nd would be a bonus. But to the owners a million plus in revenue per home game is vital'

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Agreed. Only trade him if its a worthwhile deal.

Realistically he isn't worth as much as some people here think. Maybe a year or tw ago when he was actually useful.

Especially that we are handcuffed to what, 2-3 teams he is willing to go to?

2nd + decent prospect would be the most we get IMO

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not utilizing asset management when the team is still early in a rebuild is a far bigger mistake. Besides, the return is still up in the air, if he's even traded at all.

Agreed. The playoffs are the icing on the cake this season. We need to continue treating this as a rebuild year, playoffs or not. If Glencross wants to be traded, trade him. I'm not saying throw him out with the trash, but it's basic asset management.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
yeah because drafting another Mitch Wahl, Tim Ramholt or Brian McConnell will really make our rebuild!

you don't trade a playoff spot for a 50% chance at an NHL player, especially when it's going to send a ****** message to the players on the team

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
If we can get an extra first or an interesting prospect (Shea Theodore) I would be happy beyond believe, even if that ends up hurting us this season.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
yeah because drafting another Mitch Wahl, Tim Ramholt or Brian McConnell will really make our rebuild!

you don't trade a playoff spot for a 50% chance at an NHL player, especially when it's going to send a ****** message to the players on the team

Glencross has complained that he isn't being utilized correctly. Isn't that giving a **** message to the team as well?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not enough. I am going to be pissed if we trade him and then miss the playoffs by a point or 2

eh, if we miss the playoffs because we lose 1 guy (which could happen to due injury anyway), we didn't deserve to make it. Also given the way Glenny has talked this year about 'not taking a discount' and complaining about minutes, I don't know that hes a guy we want around long term anymore.

Also, I am hoping if we move Glenny its for some help on the backend instead of just a pick.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Or we draft another Markus Granlund, Pat Seiloff or Tyler Wotherspoon.

FFF mentioned above that Glencross complaining sends an equally ****** message to the team. If Glencross is unhappy and letting it be known, trade him.

EDIT:
eh, if we miss the playoffs because we lose 1 guy (which could happen to due injury anyway), we didn't deserve to make it. Also given the way Glenny has talked this year about 'not taking a discount' and complaining about minutes, I don't know that hes a guy we want around long term anymore.

Also, I am hoping if we move Glenny its for some help on the backend instead of just a pick.

I agree. Picking up a younger guy who can play defense would be great too.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
one second round pick or something like that isn't going to mean more to the rebuild then reaching the playoffs and having the young guys experience that feeling. Trading away and then missing it while we're in the hunt will have more of an impact than some people will realize. That kills morale.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Or Wotherspoon, Granlund, Smith. Or even Weber, Bergeron, etc.

And Glencross isn't the difference between a playoff spot or just missing. Not with the way he's been playing. Management will look a lot stupider if they hold on to him but still end up on the outside.

one second round pick or something like that isn't going to mean more to the rebuild then reaching the playoffs and having the young guys experience that feeling. Trading away and then missing it while we're in the hunt will have more of an impact than some people will realize. That kills morale.
It's far from a guarantee the Flames make the playoffs even with Glencross on the team. It's one if the Flames were sitting atop the division, a safe bet to only make the playoffs but have home ice as well. It's another when the team's barely holding on.

As mentioned, the Flames could look at someone like Bartowski or Connolly as the return. That would help the present as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad