Current State of our Goalie Prospects

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
So what's the current deal with our goalie prospects? Has anyone stuck out specifically? Who's your current favorite? I know about the unfortunate situation with Lieuwen, but I don't know a whole lot about the others. Ullmarks numbers don't look as good, but it's my understanding that MODO is pretty bad this year. Any info is welcome :)

The goalies:

1. Andrey Makarov- Rochester
2. Linus Ullmark- MODO
3. Nathan Lieuwen- Rochester
4. Jonas Johansson- Brynäs
5. Cal Petersen- Notre Dame
6. Matt Hackett- Rochester

Last edited:

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I think Lieuwen's career is over. He's had two serious concussions, and he was just shelved for the season for the one he suffered last spring.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
We'll probably wait to see how Ullmark does in Rochester, but I wouldn't be surprised if we either pulled a trade off for a top young guy like Mrazek (Howard signed for 3 more years), Vasilevskiy (Bishop signed for 2 more years), etc

Or go the free agent route:
Neimi (2015)
Bishop (2017)
Rantaa (2016)
Talbot (2016)

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
I think Ullmark is currently our best option for "goalie of the future", however, I'd still like to see either a trade for an up and coming goalie with a couple good AHL seasons under his belt or a high pick (late first/early second) used to grab one of the top goalies in the 2015 draft.

Btw, you missed Hackett.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I think Ullmark is currently our best option for "goalie of the future", however, I'd still like to see either a trade for an up and coming goalie with a couple good AHL seasons under his belt or a high pick (late first/early second) used to grab one of the top goalies in the 2015 draft.

Btw, you missed Hackett.

Ah, Thank you. I had a nagging feeling I was missing someone..

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
TM philosophy on goalies, you wait until the 4th or 5th round and pick the biggest, most athletic Swede or Finn you can find. That's what we have in the pipe line. Goalies are always available so you develop some and pick one up when needed.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

Btw, you missed Hackett.

Not that hard to miss.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
1. Linus Ullmark- MODO
2. Andrey Makarov- Rochester
3. Jonas Johansson- Brynäs
4. Cal Petersen- Notre Dame
5. Nathan Lieuwen- Rochester

Lieuwen and Hackett are in danger of being right off the list. Lieuwen due to what should be considered very serious concussion issues, Hackett because his past two AHL seasons have been bad followed by missing half a season. I still have Ullmark #1 but Makarov has legitimate potential. Ullmark's team is really bad. There's no question Ullmark started out poorly but that's behind him at this point. Makarov's putting up decent numbers behind a pretty crappy squad. Johansson has had a really tough season between illness, injury, and bouncing between leagues. I've only seen him play once for Brynäs that I recall. It's too bad he missed out on the WJC. I've seen plenty of Notre Dame on the other hand. Petersen looks OK but I was hoping for a stronger freshman season. I'm putting Johansson ahead of him due to pedigree.

I really have a hard time making my mind up with goalies. I feel like you need to see a lot of them to begin having a grasp. Barring an elite prospect like Vasilevski I prefer to just kind of group them together based on development stage, with the objective if I were GM to keep each stage stocked with at least two viable talents. That needn't be reflected so literally in the rankings but as you can see, that's how it turned out with mine.

Given that this year has been unkind to our net prospects to say the least, I wouldn't mind using our surplus of picks to draft a goalie again this year, but that'd make it at least 5 straight drafts taking one (not sure if we got anyone in 2010... don't think so). It's preferable that this year, instead of drafting someone, we put a pick or two towards acquiring a young NHLer.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
1. Linus Ullmark- MODO

Lieuwen and Hackett are in danger of being right off the list. Lieuwen due to what should be considered very serious concussion issues, Hackett because his past two AHL seasons have been bad followed by missing half a season. I still have Ullmark #1 but Makarov has legitimate potential. Ullmark's team is really bad. There's no question Ullmark started out poorly but that's behind him at this point. Makarov's putting up decent numbers behind a pretty crappy squad. Johansson has had a really tough season between illness, injury, and bouncing between leagues. I've only seen him play once for Brynäs that I recall. It's too bad he missed out on the WJC. I've seen plenty of Notre Dame on the other hand. Petersen looks OK but I was hoping for a stronger freshman season. I'm putting Johansson ahead of him due to pedigree.

I really have a hard time making my mind up with goalies. I feel like you need to see a lot of them to begin having a grasp. Barring an elite prospect like Vasilevski I prefer to just kind of group them together based on development stage, with the objective if I were GM to keep each stage stocked with at least two viable talents. That needn't be reflected so literally in the rankings but as you can see, that's how it turned out with mine.

Thanks for the information. I agree that it's kind of hard to have a good grasp on the goalies with such limited viewings. Also, goalies seem very hard to project.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
1. Linus Ullmark- MODO

They're in danger of not being qualified, IMO, and right now I'd be surprised if either Neuvirth or Enroth are back next season. That's four of the top five players at that position in the organization.

I don't really have a lot of confidence in any of the current organization option as a guy who's going to be a good starter on a good team within the next four to five years, though I'm not up to date on Ullmark (is he playing better, back to last year's form?). I'd like to see Murray trying to tab an external candidate in the 23/24 year old range, hopefully with some NHL experience, before the start of next season.

The "it'll work itself out" mentality is thrown around a lot to support the idea of not trying to acquire a goaltender. I'm of the exact opposite opinion, the failure rate is so high that I'd rather be proactive in the event they don't get it right the first time (Tampa Bay being the obvious example).

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Look for help elsewhere to build out the pipeline. Lieuwen is either done or needs a year off and who knows about Hackett. First thoughts?

Montreal - With Price starting look at Fucale or Tokarski
TB - Bishop is starting for a while, look at Gudlevskis or Vasilevskiy
Detroit - Mrazek has looked good and is 22, perhaps Detroit would be looking to make a move, although I doubt they are that shortsighted.
Vancouver - Demko?

Besides Subban and Gibson who did I miss thats under 22 or so?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Look for help elsewhere to build out the pipeline. Lieuwen is either done or needs a year off and who knows about Hackett. First thoughts?

Montreal - With Price starting look at Fucale or Tokarski
TB - Bishop is starting for a while, look at Gudlevskis or Vasilevskiy
Detroit - Mrazek has looked good and is 22, perhaps Detroit would be looking to make a move, although I doubt they are that shortsighted.
Vancouver - Demko?

Besides Subban and Gibson who did I miss thats under 22 or so?

How long will Anaheim keep both Gibson and Andersen?

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
IMO, if after three to four years which we haven't brought in outside help (which I what I think we will ultimately do) our goalie will either be Enroth or Neuvirth.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
IMO, if after three to four years which we haven't brought in outside help (which I what I think we will ultimately do) our goalie will either be Enroth or Neuvirth.

I think that's the least likely scenario. Ullmark is looking better and has flashes of last season's form (he was a beast last year) but isn't quite back to that pedigree statistically. Small sample eye test; I think he'll be good in ROC hopefully? next year. Pretty sound, quick, not really prone to giving up that one easy goal a game that so many (even NHLers) goalies are. NA smaller rinks make goalie transition a lot easier from EUR but that quickness will be key for him. Being such a big kid always helps too. Being able to move when the puck is in close, which I think he will do well, is an adjustment moving forward. My list looks like Rob 's with no huge gaps until you get to the bottom two for injuries sake. I'd look for TM to pay low for a solid return with the market the way it is. As mentioned, there's seemingly several available guys that maybe aren't necessarily being shopped but could be had. Tim's a pretty bright guy and getting guy's who are ready for the NHL but haven't built their player value yet, is a keen of his eye (des, perhaps Fasching).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad