Current State Of NYI, From An Old Skool Fan's Perspective

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I agree, HIP. Vanek was acquired at a very bad time when a full s***storm was brewing. A lot of fans blame Vanek for that as if things would be different if Moulson was here.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Sometimes chemistry isn't just ON the ice. It effects the locker room as well. I remember the 2009 Yankees, they won with Melky Cabrera, Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui. They gladly let all three go in free agency or in trades, brought in Curtis Granderson via a trade, a way superior player to those three mentioned, yet the following year, they were lost without the leadership and chemistry lost by letting those guys go. Chemistry goes a long way when it comes to winning.

Scott, I agree that chemistry doesn't just means on the ice and clearly Moulson and JT were great friends and from what it sounds like Moulson was a great guy in the locker room but if a GM feels they want to go another direction with a player I don't know how much pull that stuff has. With the exception of the power play, the top line is producing at a fine rate and keeping pressure in a way that they haven't until vanek arrived. The rest of the lines are playing pretty bad, and the defense is horrid. I'm not really willing to blame the departure of moulson from the locker room for the poor play of the rest of the team.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I agree, HIP. Vanek was acquired at a very bad time when a full s***storm was brewing. A lot of fans blame Vanek for that as if things would be different if Moulson was here.

Same here. Vanek is not the issue at all. But I'd still trade him, I don't like his game, even though he's pretty damn good.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Same here. Vanek is not the issue at all. But I'd still trade him, I don't like his game, even though he's pretty damn good.

I want to resign him, and I'd still trade him while the value is high.

It can be argued that scoring by committee could make more sense, if subtracting Vanek, Regin and Bouchard was enough to bring in 2 defensemen and one forward. Nelson takes Vanek's place, either Strome comes up or the acquired forward takes a spot, and the overall ability to fend off an attack by the defense could translate to more wins, where the recent addition of Vanek isn't enough to reverse the detriment of a sharp decline by Nabokov and the loss of Visnovsky and Strait isn't getting much done.

State of the NYI? Wang's too crazy to allow the NYI to function like a normal organization, leading to an array of thrift moves, fair drafting and noticeable blunders by Snow (who had to sweep the Augean Stables with a toothpick to begin with anyway when cleaning up after Milbury), a string of sub-par coaches leading to Capuano, and a number of poorly developed players whom, other than John Tavares, don't stand much of a chance with the sum of adversities ultimately created by ownership and exacerbated by a rookie GM (whose moves would make one hell of a lot more sense if the Islanders were half a step in front of where they were last season instead of two steps back.)

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Oh look, another blame Vanek thread.

Yes, its Vanek's fault that Grabner, Bailey, Regin, Bouchard, and Martin can't produce offensively if their lives depended on it. Its Vanek's fault Visnovsky got hurt and the entire defense is horrendous and we have the 2nd most goals allowed in the NHL. Its Vanek's fault we have below average goaltending. Its Vanek's fault our coach is a moron and refuses to play rookies that earn their spots over ****** vets, and bases his coaching decisions off of superstition. Its Vanek's fault our owner doesn't care about winning.

If you're gonna blame the Isles' struggles on team chemistry being lost, then none of the guys on the team should be playing professional sports. If they're so godamn butthurt because one of their pals got traded then they should all find a new profession. Its the ****ing NHL, you don't get sad and decide to stop producing just because someone was traded. Jesus Lord.

thank you

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
What is they traded Steve Thomas during the Turgeon era?

A better comparison for Moulson from that team would be Derek King. So, what if they had traded King and draft picks for, say, Dave Andreychuk or Brendan Shanahan in 1993/94?

First of all, a large part of the fan-base would have driven King to the airport, as he was a frequent whipping-boy on those early-90s teams. Second of all, I think we'd have seen an improvement in that first line.

The total trade would have been King, Brett Lindros* and Jason Holland for Andreychuk or Shanny. Absolutely in theory only but keep in mind that Andreychuk was traded in '93 with Puppa and a 1st for an aging Grant Fuhr.

*Lindros' career was derailed by concussions but I personally think he had the tools to be a decent 2nd liner.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
A better comparison for Moulson from that team would be Derek King. So, what if they had traded King and draft picks for, say, Dave Andreychuk or Brendan Shanahan in 1993/94?

First of all, a large part of the fan-base would have driven King to the airport, as he was a frequent whipping-boy on those early-90s teams. Second of all, I think we'd have seen an improvement in that first line.

The total trade would have been King, Brett Lindros* and Jason Holland for Andreychuk or Shanny. Absolutely in theory only but keep in mind that Andreychuk was traded in '93 with Puppa and a 1st for an aging Grant Fuhr.

*Lindros' career was derailed by concussions but I personally think he had the tools to be a decent 2nd liner.

King was the whipping boy after Turgeon left.
He scored 38 and 40 while being Turgeon's wing.
When PT was traded King fell off the map.

Aucoin3

Aug 9, 2005
Being born in 1981 makes me an older school fan, I dont believe you remember the 83 cup and you obviously missed a lot in the 10 years you stopped watching hockey. We all love Moulson but that first line is much better with Vanek. The issue is the line was good enough with Moulson but the rest of the team was not good enough with what the roster provided. Adding Moulson didnt help the defense, goaltening or secondary scoring. That all caught up to them and I think the Isles are as bad as they've been in the last 7 years.

The Isles got Tavares because of goalie injuries and running MacDonald and Danis. This year we may get Sam Reinhart due to what Snow and company considered an acceptable defense and goaltending.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I don't think you qualify as "old school", being born in '82 and all. Just sayin...

I graduated High School in 1982, what does that make me, very old school? Put out to pasture old school? Time for the retirement old school? Shut up old man old school? LOL

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
OP, I do agree with you to some extent, and although i felt we ended up with the better player, i wasn't too happy about them letting moulson go, because it was more of a sideways move if anything. its almost as if snow has out smarted himself with this move. We needed to address a glaring hole in our D, but we added a little more firepower up front, with the thought that it would compensate for our defensive deficiencies.

We'd probably be in the same place we are now without the trade, so i dont think the loss of matt moulson was a huge detriment to the team or to Tavares for that matter.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
King was the whipping boy after Turgeon left.
He scored 38 and 40 while being Turgeon's wing.
When PT was traded King fell off the map.

By my recollection mostly from posts on the isles-list usenet group and fan reaction at the Coliseum, King was already seen as a one-dimensional player before Maloney jettisoned Turgeon, and in the stretches where the team was playing poorly he was often viewed by many fans as a weakness on the team... very similar to the treatment Moulson has received despite putting up numbers.

giddy up*

The isles slide has nothing to do with the Vanek trade. I make that trade 10 out of 10 times. Hope he signs an extension.

We suck for a million other reasons. Notably coaching and goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad