Current Player Most Likely To Have Their Number Retired? (No Datsyuk or Zetterberg)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Even if the percentage chance is .0001%?

Because none of those guys are going to end up comparable to the greatest of the greats. Harder to get your number retired in Detroit than it is to get into the Hall of Fame.

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Even if the percentage chance is .0001%?

Because none of those guys are going to end up comparable to the greatest of the greats. Harder to get your number retired in Detroit than it is to get into the Hall of Fame.

Completely agree, I just thought it'd be fun to see what Red Wings fans thought. Sorry if it's a dumb poll

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If he turns out like we hope and dream, then Nyquist. But "none of the above" is also a likely option.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I picked Howard but he'll have to win multiple cups (a la Chris Osgood) and win 300-400 wins (a la Chris Osgood)...although that resume didn't get Ozzie's #30 retired (or into the Hall of Fame).

The rest of the team...way too early to project. If Fedorov's number isn't retired, I doubt Hank or Pavel will...although I wonder if the fact that they never left Detroit and they won a cup might earn them the honor. Yzerman and Lidstrom...both lifelong Red Wings.

iwtb*

Mantha. Not very likely but don't see any super star potential in those other options. Or maybe Pulkkinen ;)

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
I said other because none of those players get their number in the rafters. I don't even know if Datsyuk and Zetterberg are worthy of it. 1, 7, 9, 10, 19 and 5 are some of the all time great NHL players, let alone Red Wings. Pasha and Sasha aren't really all time greats like the rest of our bannermen.

I'd say Datsyuk is more likely than Zetterberg in my opinion.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
DeKeyser.

If he develops an offense and keeps on developing more defensive skills.

Last edited:

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
I'm not saying any of these people will, just thought I'd see who everyone thought had the best chance.

I didn't put Datsyuk and Zetterberg because that would be every answer. Or Dan Cleary of course

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
I'm a bit more liberal when it comes to retiring jerseys. Feds deserves his number in the rafters... I say DeKeyser...but its very very slim. He needs to develop into a Lidstrom quickly.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
If we're talking about potential, which we clearly are by including Pulu and Frk in this poll, I think Mantha has the best shot

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I'd say Datsyuk is more likely than Zetterberg in my opinion.

Disagree. Especially if we get another Cup. Being the captain is going to give Zetterberg the edge, I think. Datsyuk more likely to get into the Hall, but I think they both end up in there (assuming Z gets back to being healthy). Will be interesting to see if either get retired. Both being lifelong Wings is definitely going to help their case.

As for the poll, I voted for Dekeyser. I came in thinking I'd advocate for Nyquist, but DD has a better shot. Hometown guy, over a year younger than Gus, already playing pretty tough minutes, making his partners better. I don't think it's likely that he ends up in the rafters, but he's probably got the best shot. I agree with everyone else, though.. Mantha probably being the best bet, given his potential.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I picked Howard but he'll have to win multiple cups (a la Chris Osgood) and win 300-400 wins (a la Chris Osgood)...although that resume didn't get Ozzie's #30 retired (or into the Hall of Fame).

The rest of the team...way too early to project. If Fedorov's number isn't retired, I doubt Hank or Pavel will...although I wonder if the fact that they never left Detroit and they won a cup might earn them the honor. Yzerman and Lidstrom...both lifelong Red Wings.

I don't think Ozzie is eligible for the Hall of Fame until July of this year.

Although I don't think he gets his jersey retired regardless of whether he gets inducted or not.

The Wings are pretty stingy when it comes to that honour.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
No one. And as much as I would like 40 or 13 to go up in the rafters they each need more team hardware to be considered (1 more cup for dats and a playoff mvp wouldn't hurt his case, and for Z he needs 2 cups).

Almost every player in the rafters has at least 3 cups in addition to a career of excellance. And as of right now even dats or z doesn't have the resume like those up there right now. Granted they are the closest but even they are a ways off for the lofty expectations to join the rafters like those already up there.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
When all is said and done I think Feds and Dats will have put up similar numbers as wings.

Dats is currently at 800 points and has two years left. Max points would probably be 160. My guess is that it will be closer to 100 w/ injuries. That'd put him at 900 if he retires at the end of this contract after 13 seasons. Feds put up 955 in 13 seasons. Feds has the far superior playoff numbers, but that could at least get closer in the next 3 seasons. So while I think Feds will have the slightly superior career as a Wing, Dats will probably leave on better terms which will help. I think both have a pretty good chance of having it done, but it may not be immediate like Yzerman and Lids.

Z is interesting, because he doesn't have the accolades like a Feds or a Dats, but he could potentially be captain for 9 seasons. He currently sits at 720 points and has a Conn Smythe. I think he'd have to at least get to 1000 points and win at least another cup as the captain to get his number to the rafters.

As for current young guys I think Nyquist is your guy. I think he will be a PPG player, he is starting young enough to be on the team for 10+ seasons. He seems really well thought of by his fellow players and I think is already being groomed for a letter. I could easily see him taking over for Z when Z retires.

I won't call Mantha a superstar until he at least puts up points in a Pro league.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I voted other because I want to vote none.

Z and Datsyuk will likely not have their number retired either.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
Why don't you guys think datsyuk wouldn't have his retired? I see it as a matter of when, not a matter of if.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I put Nyquist because if he continues to play as he has and improves on it, I think he'll be the next captain once Zetterberg retires.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad