Who is the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Didn’t know Jagr and Lemieux were part of the OP.

Didn't know you had trouble counting to 4. I think one player can wind up on Mount Rushmore, I think the other won't.

McDavid is head and shoulders above everyone in a way I haven't seen since the greats in the 80s. Tough concept I now realize for a few.

By the way when this somehow becomes team related, McDavid would be supplanting Howe in that scenario for me and yes I can see him doing that when all is said and done. He is an exceptional talent, I watch Oilers games when the Wings are on just because I find him to be such a marvelous talent. I really haven't seen anything like him since Super Mario in terms of the sheer amazing ability in his game. I think Lindros threatened it for a second but was derailed by injury.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Didn't know you had trouble counting to 4. I think one player can wind up on Mount Rushmore, I think the other won't.

McDavid is head and shoulders above everyone in a way I haven't seen since the greats in the 80s. Tough concept I now realize for a few.
He's not even head and shoulders above one of his teammates the last two years.

Every criticism you're throwing at Crosby (Malkin had better years, Mario is their best player) could easily be thrown at McDavid (Draisaitl had a better year, Gretzky is their best player).

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He's not even head and shoulders above one of his teammates the last two years.

Every criticism you're throwing at Crosby (Malkin had better years, Mario is their best player) could easily be thrown at McDavid (Draisaitl had a better year, Gretzky is their best player).

I disagree with that. Love Draisaitl too. Just think McDavid is in his own tier in this league. And you could be the hiding behind Crosby's injuries to explain his loss of the Art Ross they did happen. I think McDavid's were less concerning long-term so it probably won't continue impacting his prime the same way hopefully. We will see, I just think McDavid is clear cut the best player in the league.

Agree with the second part, nobody is Gretzky.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I disagree with that. Love Draisaitl too. Just think McDavid is in his own tier in this league.

Agree with the second part, nobody is Gretzky.
But he's really not in his own tier. He has one Hart trophy and he's not even in the discussion this year.

Gretzky has nine Harts. Howe has six. Lemieux has three and would have about a dozen if Gretzky stuck to lacrosse. That's Mount Rushmore.

McDavid is not that. To be fair, I don't think Crosby is either (no knock on either of them) but you can't make that argument for one and not the other.

Reactions: K Fleur and BHD

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
But he's really not in his own tier. He has one Hart trophy and he's not even in the discussion this year.

Gretzky has nine Harts. Howe has six. Lemieux has three and would have about a dozen if Gretzky stuck to lacrosse. That's Mount Rushmore.

McDavid is not that. To be fair, I don't think Crosby is either (no knock on either of them) but you can't make that argument for one and not the other.

Bingo.

These are all awesome players but I find it almost impossible to believe a world exists where Kucherov/Draisatl/Henrik Sedin beat Lemieux or Gretzky for scoring titles. That’s what being on your own tier really means

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I think McDavid enters the next five seasons as the odds on favorite there. He has tied him in Art Ross' already and has two Lindsay's his next one ties Crosby in both MVP formats. Some of this argument is being made for being in a better organization at the start of their careers. Great Crosby came into a better planned out tank and rebound, good for him. We will see if Holland can provide him with a lot more help than he had early on.

Some of it is projecting. I think McDavid does really well 20-25 making this argument a lot clearer. We will see, but that is my bet. We are in McDavid's prime still for me where he carries the day for a while longer here.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Yes and I choose McDavid because he reminds me more of the true Mount Rushmore players.

Neither McDavid nor Crosby is close to the Mount Rushmore players.

But, if anyone is closer it's Crosby. You really can't make Mount Rushmore without a Stanley Cup. And you think he looks better than a guy with three, and two Conn Smythes?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Crosby has been fortunate enough to player under two general managers who put together Cup-winning teams. So, I wouldn’t use Cups as the bar for how good either of them are. McDavid is preparing for just his second playoff run, let alone Cup, thanks in part to Holland taking over.

It would be more reasonable if you were to look at how each of them performed in the playoffs. But still... McDavid only has one showing.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Crosby. Guy was robbed of the Hart in 2013. Tied Ovechkin in points (who played the full season). Finished 3rd in points in the league. Missed 25% of the season.

That's not even Crosby's peak.

Crosby's absolute peak IMO was in 2010-2011, too bad it got shortened by injuries. That was the best player hockey has seen in the modern era.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Crosby's absolute peak IMO was in 2010-2011, too bad it got shortened by injuries. That was the best player hockey has seen in the modern era.

That's 132 points over a full season (82 games). Although, it probably wouldn't count since Lemieux put up 160 back in '93, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad