Cup dream keys (must haves for a cup win)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree. Didn't specifically note this, but I think it falls under being a play-off built team, veteran presence, coaching, and physicality. Definitely important! Look at how crazy good the Avs team was that just won the cup - but even then, without MacKinnon's intense drive and competitive nature, backed up by some of their best players putting their bodies' on the line and setting an example, plus presumably some of their vet players and coach supplementing MacKinnon and Landeskog's leadership, that undoubtedly helped elevate them even further, especially when they faced a bit of adversity vs STL.
I think john tortorella and Barry Trotz exposed possession-based hockey a few years back. They allow teams to hold the puck all day IF that team stays on the perimeter. This used to haunt TB in the playoffs, but they learned you have to drive into traffic and make plays under fire.

If you're content to dipsy doodle around the outside, good defensive structures will eat you alive.

Reactions: TheTechNoir

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I think john tortorella and Barry Trotz exposed possession-based hockey a few years back. They allow teams to hold the puck all day IF that team stays on the perimeter. This used to haunt TB in the playoffs, but they learned you have to drive into traffic and make plays under fire.

If you're content to dipsy doodle around the outside, good defensive structures will eat you alive.

Agreed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad