Cumiskey

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
He makes 1-2 awful plays per game, but his skating clearly makes him a marked upgrade on Timonen/Rundblad.

I wouldn't mind Q having a bit more faith in him.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
He makes 1-2 awful plays per game, but his skating clearly makes him a marked upgrade on Timonen/Rundblad.

I wouldn't mind Q having a bit more faith in him.

If he makes 1-2 bad plays in his first couple games in how does that compare to the vets who are well adjusted to the team and still make some awful plays game in and game out?

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
If he makes 1-2 bad plays in his first couple games in how does that compare to the vets who are well adjusted to the team and still make some awful plays game in and game out?

I agree!

He's played 3 games after only playing 7 games with this group in FEB.

The 3 he's played in came after Rozi gets hurt, 44 is awful and Rundblad wets himself.

Cumiskey has done quite well.

As for 1-2 awful plays per game, I don't recall 6 in 3 games. I do remember 2 bad plays. One in his 1st game, turnover at our blue line, when he could have skated it a loooong way but you could almost see him thinking make the safe play. Well the pass wasn't elevated and got picked off.

I see many more good plays from him than bad. The kid is making himself a bunch of money from his showing here, IMO.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Just to be clear here, I wasn't ripping on the guy. As I said he is way better than Timonen/Rundblad.

But he has made a couple iffy-ish plays (that really awful turnover at the end of 2OT in G2, getting caught behind his own net trying to skate the puck out a couple times over the last two games when the team really needed a change) that does beg the question if he starts getting 14-16 mins per night will it help him get his legs more or will those types of plays increase as he gets a bit more tired?

At this point he's pretty much a Leddy replacement from last year. If we still had Rozy he would be an absolute fantastic #6 guy playing 7-8 minutes per night.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
He can definitely play 3rd pair in this league. That can't be said about 5 or 44.

5 can play 3rd pairing in this league, but it has to be on a team that will: play him consistently as well as play him with someone that can skate better. Before TVR got hurt, he and Rundblad played very well together once Rundblad got through that 5 game stretch.

Some guys need time to get going and get back in the flow of things. 5 is one of them.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Just to be clear here, I wasn't ripping on the guy. As I said he is way better than Timonen/Rundblad.

But he has made a couple iffy-ish plays (that really awful turnover at the end of 2OT in G2, getting caught behind his own net trying to skate the puck out a couple times over the last two games when the team really needed a change) that does beg the question if he starts getting 14-16 mins per night will it help him get his legs more or will those types of plays increase as he gets a bit more tired?

At this point he's pretty much a Leddy replacement from last year. If we still had Rozy he would be an absolute fantastic #6 guy playing 7-8 minutes per night.

The dichotomy is most guys need some time to feel comfortable on the ice (Rundblad), a luxury we don't have at the moment. I think Cumiskey has looked much better than I thought he would and really hasn't made any more ridiculous plays than most of our other, regular dmen.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
5 can play 3rd pairing in this league, but it has to be on a team that will: play him consistently as well as play him with someone that can skate better. Before TVR got hurt, he and Rundblad played very well together once Rundblad got through that 5 game stretch.

Some guys need time to get going and get back in the flow of things. 5 is one of them.

The dichotomy is most guys need some time to feel comfortable on the ice (Rundblad), a luxury we don't have at the moment. I think Cumiskey has looked much better than I thought he would and really hasn't made any more ridiculous plays than most of our other, regular dmen.

The time excuse for Rundblad again :shakehead

He ####### is awful in his own end and soft. No amount of time will change that and playing him just potentially kills Hawks (Or in case of game 1 ,, Actively gives away game)

The Hawks will be 4th team to give up on Rundblad since he was drafted. How many more chances do you expect he will get?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The time excuse for Rundblad again :shakehead

He ####### is awful in his own end and soft. No amount of time will change that and playing him just potentially kills Hawks (Or in case of game 1 ,, Actively gives away game)

The Hawks will be 4th team to give up on Rundblad since he was drafted. How many more chances do you expect he will get?

Versteeg still sees the ice here so I wouldn't be surprised to see Bladder back as well, but I hope not...Certainly not with the prospects we have waiting their turn.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

I agree with the above. Cumiskey has a lot of talent but his small stature hurts his game. If he's not pressured immediately, he's pretty dam good out there.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I agree with the above. Cumiskey has a lot of talent but his small stature hurts his game. If he's not pressured immediately, he's pretty dam good out there.

Agreed and his speed helps avoid immediate pressure often. A couple of times when he is pressured he has shown a willingness to eat it along the wall rather than just ringing it around too.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Very true.

Rundblad made two bad plays, and they ended up in the net.

Cumiskey has made bad plays, but they didn't happen to result in goals. If they did, people would be on his case too. And hell, there's still time for a bad play from him to end up in the back of the net.

Cumiskey's speed is an asset, but watching him in his own zone is about as easy as watching the 2nd line in their own zone. Same level of key-stone cops.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
When did he go down?

Wasn't it when Stan acquired his boy's BFF Erixon? And then of course after dumping Erixon Stan brought in Timonen I believe

So really on Stan the bungling of Cumiskey. I am sure Q would have been fine with Stan waiving Rundblad and retaining Cumiskey all year

At the time you were trashing Cumiskey and incorrectly placing blame of goals on him. But now that he's playing decent hockey and helps your argument, why should we let any context get in the way of your vendetta?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad