Cubs hire Craig Counsell

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Ross must have gotten really bad player exit interview feedback

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Pretty massive improvement. This past season had convinced me that Ross was a rebuild manager and nothing more.

Oddly timed, though.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've always thought he was kind of a dipshit anyway but you don't see teams hire a guy to fill a role that is still filled by someone else all that often
Yeah...surprising they did it without relieving Ross of his duties first. Then again, perhaps they wanted assurances they will have their new guy before moving on from their current manager just in case anything blew up in the process.

Stupid question, but by all accounts this means Ross is completely gone from the organization than being demoted to another position? Not like he'd want to stay on anyways, more than likely.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
No clue. I don't think many will miss him as a manager, but Grandpa Ross is still damn popular as a player. I hope he has a spot with the team as a front-facing memeber of the team, but I wouldn't fault him if he was sour at the front office and thought he could still manage elsewhere.

With any luck, he'll get a respectful "promotion upwards."

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Hopefully this means the Patrick Wisdoms of the world get kicked to the curb along with Ross.

Ross is the worst manager in baseball. I stated all along this was going to happen and here we are.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
That's a huge salary for a manager, albeit the Cubs won a world series by investing in a big shot at the time in Maddon.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That's a huge salary for a manager, albeit the Cubs won a world series by investing in a big shot at the time in Maddon.

Yea but at that point they had a really good makeup of a team and everyone and their brother knew they were on the cusp of possibly winning a championship.

Really thought COunsell would join his old boss in NY. Maybe he didn't wanna move so far away or maybe Cohen didn't think it was worth it to pay a manager 8 million a year (yea, I see the irony in that too)

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Counsell knew he was never going to win anything with a cheap ass organization like the Brewers. Might as well get a payday and have a better chance at winning.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth

It might be a huge salary for a manager, but it's being paid by a millionaire, and it's a fraction of the overall salary for these teams.

This isn't a response to you, but I'll never understand why people care so much about that. If it doesn't impact anything (like the luxury tax), then.. whatever. Not my money, and the billionaire will probably be just fine.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
It might be a huge salary for a manager, but it's being paid by a millionaire, and it's a fraction of the overall salary for these teams.

This isn't a response to you, but I'll never understand why people care so much about that. If it doesn't impact anything (like the luxury tax), then.. whatever. Not my money, and the billionaire will probably be just fine.

Well it's possible the Cubs would pay slightly more salary for their roster with a cheaper manager

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad