CSKA Moscow 1986 vs Montreal Canadiens 1975

Anderson9

Apr 11, 2009
Kazan, Russia
What ice and rules?

CSKA and theres no doubt about that. In 1975 the Habs peppered Tretiak with 50-odd shots almost all of which being slapshots Tretisk was well adapted to. Ten yrs later, Red Army passed their way into the Habs zone with time enough to take aim before the fatal wrist shot.
The Canadiens were leading the leaguue in pp goals thus far in the season. I looked at their p. play and nearly vomited. Then on their 1st pp CSKA made a sweet passing play that set up the open man (Krutov?) and i clapped my hands. Then the flagellation went on. The 3rd period tally by Mats Naslund (on a fortuitious slap shot) did little to save face. Perfect, perfect schooling that eclipses the glory of Scotty Bowman's Habs.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I kinda think that it would have needed a full Soviet National Team to beat the mid/late-70s Habs - at least on their home-ice & best of 7. CSKA always had to add a couple/few star players to their roster (also in the 1985-86 Super series; Shepelev & Tyumenev?) when they toured the NHL.

Habs' domination in the classic New Year's Eve game from 1975 is not the greatest example; I namely do think that the 1986 CSKA was stronger than the 1975 version - not that they had better players but were far better coached and had far more dimensions to their game (definite improvements in defensive play, physical game etc.). However, IMO neither is the CSKA-Habs game in 1985, as embarrissingly one-sided as it was; there is no comparison between the 1985-86 and mid/late-70s Canadiens...

Vladsky

Mar 8, 2008
IMO. it would be pretty close 7-game contest.
Game 7 could go to either team. Even match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad