Rumor: CSE Buying the Chilliwack Chiefs

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
CHilliwack usually has one of the best junior programs in the BCHL. It will be interesting to see if we start sending our drafted prospects who have to wait a year or start drafting out of the BCHL more often

Reactions: Play

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Interesting…I wonder what the end goal is.

A while ago one of the local media (cannot recall who at all) was pointing out that the Aquilinis have done nothing significant for local hockey apart from the Canucks. With the massive success of the Abbotsford Canucks, if there was a realization that investing in other local hockey ventures is a profitable idea. Not even on a purely financial front but also as an on and off-ice talent pipeline and for positive public relations.

Reactions: Indiana and Play

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
CHilliwack usually has one of the best junior programs in the BCHL. It will be interesting to see if we start sending our drafted prospects who have to wait a year or start drafting out of the BCHL more often
I believe if they have played in the CHL they are ineligible for the BCHL

Reactions: The Stig

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

That sounds like a major conflict of interest I could see the NHL shitting its pants over.

• Love
Reactions: Play

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Random thought, could this be a precursor to the Canucks buying an ECHL team, and moving them to Chilliwack? Oh who am I kidding...it's likely just a real-estate play as mentioned above.

Reactions: Indiana

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
That sounds like a major conflict of interest I could see the NHL shitting its pants over.
How is it a conflict of interest? Flames parent company have owned the Hitmen for nearly 20 years so I doubt the league has an issue with CSE owning and operating a junior team.

Reactions: HairyKneel

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
it is a real estate play. they will run the arena and make all $$$ and get close to the Indigenous groups in that area for possible massive real estate opportunities. believe the Chiefs are just a small part of this
For all the shit and bad business, the Aquilinis know the value of strong relationships with local First Nations and maintain those relationships

Reactions: Vector

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I stopped in Chilliwack for a quick lunch a couple of months ago, but accidently went to a place run by a cult. Very good Reuben though.
I think I know them. I think "cult" might be stretching it, to be fair. And yes, the food is very good (if it's the place I'm thinking).

Nov 1, 2011
Random thought, could this be a precursor to the Canucks buying an ECHL team, and moving them to Chilliwack? Oh who am I kidding...it's likely just a real-estate play as mentioned above.

The Canucks were a real estate play that developed into more.

This could too.

Nov 1, 2011
For all the shit and bad business, the Aquilinis know the value of strong relationships with local First Nations and maintain those relationships

The First Nations group that works with the Aquilinis, MST, are the largest developers in North America now.

Big developers give them land and then JV with them to avoid paying development and other fees.

It’s like sanctioned tax evasion (just a different kind of tax with a different name).

People think they are helping the Nations, which they are, but they are also helping billionaires avoid development charges that are supposed to help build schools and other infrastructure that support the population that these developments bring.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The First Nations group that works with the Aquilinis, MST, are the largest developers in North America now.

Big developers give them land and then JV with them to avoid paying development and other fees.

It’s like sanctioned tax evasion (just a different kind of tax with a different name).

People think they are helping the Nations, which they are, but they are also helping billionaires avoid development charges that are supposed to help build schools and other infrastructure that support the population that these developments bring.
Its really not that simple.

Land that comes over to a band doesnt automatically become tax exempt native land/reserve land. It remains fee simple and is just owned by the band who has to pay taxed as anyone would. The addition-to-reserve process is a bureaucratic mire and takes at minimum 20 years with consistent and persistent advocacy and leadership.

Developments like Senakw are taking place on pre-existing reserve land wherein municipal by law technically dont apply, however agreements have long been in place in almost every instance to adhere to building code in exchange for access to municipal utilities.

The main benefit for joint venture developing alongside first nations that arent on pre-existing reserve land like you are describing is due to the decades of fighting tooth and nail for the respect and implementation of aboriginal rights and title, where we now find ourselves in a position where if anyone needs to do something that is contingent on federal, provincial, or municipal permitting processes, the local first nation can either fasttrack or effectively end any attempt to navigate the system.

Also, MST is independently incredibly wealthy and they are an active partner in these projects. It isnt wealthy developers extending an olive branch in exchange with help with “tax evasion”

And to the tax evasion remark, I look forward to the day where indian bands can charge tax at a territorial scope on either property or business done within said territory—not just reserve land. Then we’ll really see schools and hospitals being built

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
How is it a conflict of interest? Flames parent company have owned the Hitmen for nearly 20 years so I doubt the league has an issue with CSE owning and operating a junior team.

That's because the Flames aren't the Canucks.

Anything the Canucks do that Gary Bettman can make an excuse to punish us, he will

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad