Cryptocurrencies Part II - No more forks for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, Katy Perry tweeted about cryptocurrencies the other day. It's just weird to see...
I’m excited to see how huge crypto will be from 5 years from now...Coin base was on the #1 trending apple store app this weekend, word was certainly getting out at thanksgiving dinners last week ;)

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I’m excited to see how huge crypto will be from 5 years from now...Coin base was on the #1 trending apple store app this weekend, word was certainly getting out at thanksgiving dinners last week ;)
Look at this picture of trending apps I found on reddit

Attachments

• IMG_1287.PNG
    IMG_1287.PNG
    165 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
And now the IRS wants their cut in the US.

https://gizmodo.com/the-irs-has-come-knocking-at-bitcoins-door-1820877550

According to Bloomberg:
U.S. Magistrate Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley in San Francisco ruled that the tax agency’s demand for information isn’t overly intrusive. The price of bitcoin has been soaring and crossed $10,000 Tuesday.
With just 800 to 900 taxpayers reporting bitcoin gains from 2013 through 2015 in a period when more than 14,000 Coinbase users have either bought, sold, sent or received at least $20,000 worth of bitcoin, “many Coinbase users may not be reporting their bitcoin gains,” she wrote. “The IRS has a legitimate interest in investigating these taxpayers.”​

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Vertcoin (VTC) is taking off today, hitting $6.21 usd last I looked. Not sure if it will last, but it's nice to see it up over double the price at which I invested a bit (~$3 usd).

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

According to Bloomberg:
U.S. Magistrate Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley in San Francisco ruled that the tax agency’s demand for information isn’t overly intrusive. The price of bitcoin has been soaring and crossed $10,000 Tuesday.
With just 800 to 900 taxpayers reporting bitcoin gains from 2013 through 2015 in a period when more than 14,000 Coinbase users have either bought, sold, sent or received at least $20,000 worth of bitcoin, “many Coinbase users may not be reporting their bitcoin gains,” she wrote. “The IRS has a legitimate interest in investigating these taxpayers.”​
This is nothing new. You’re suppose to claim all your gains to the irs. People just weren’t.

Some people arent very smart , if all of a sudden they have $20,000 extra in their bank accounts the IRS will come knocking and have some nice hefty fines for them.

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Every coin I follow in my Blockfolio is double digit green except Coss. FINALLY a rebound.

According to Bloomberg:

Meh. They've said something like this a few times.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
This is nothing new. You’re suppose to claim all your gains to the irs. People just weren’t.

Some people arent very smart , if all of a sudden they have $20,000 extra in their bank accounts the IRS will come knocking and have some nice hefty fines for them.
They just seem to be more proactive about collecting now and actually went to court trying to get the information. I am still not sure what the rules are here in Canada.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
They just seem to be more proactive about collecting now and actually went to court trying to get the information. I am still not sure what the rules are here in Canada.

Makes sense since it's starting to get popular and some people have collected in on some very good profits.

Getting the information from companies will be tough unless they are from the US (which not all of them are obviously). Again though, they will start asking question to people who all of a sudden get a nice chunk of money in their bank accounts that went unclaimed. It's not worth trying to pull a fast one over them since if you're caught you will end up paying far greater penalties than the 15% tax you should have just paid.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
A noob here, obviously I've heard about Bitcoins long ago but never really paid too much attention. Am I late to the party? Or is it still good to jump in? Also can someone pls explain it to me in layman's terms and how to get started? Thanks.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
A noob here, obviously I've heard about Bitcoins long ago but never really paid too much attention. Am I late to the party? Or is it still good to jump in? Also can someone pls explain it to me in layman's terms and how to get started? Thanks.

Too late i think it hard to buy and you would need a bunch to get started

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

The entire crypto market has more than doubled in the last three months and is up like 10x since last year. It's still way early. I'm on mobile, but there's a few posts earlier in this thread (or a previous iteration) on how to get started. Maybe a mod can stick them in the OP?

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Looks like it's doing the alts some favors. VTC hit $6.41 overnight. WTC and OMG also spiked a bit but are now back downish. Ready for those to make more noise and not delays.

I missed that VTC went up to $6.41 last weekend. Today it's up to $7.41, which has to be an ATH, no?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Too late i think it hard to buy and you would need a bunch to get started

I read that less than 5% of the world actually uses crytocurrencies. I can't imagine that it's too late, though you're absolutely right about the up front money, I just looked at the value of Bitcoin and it's way too high.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I read that less than 5% of the world actually uses crytocurrencies. I can't imagine that it's too late, though you're absolutely right about the up front money, I just looked at the value of Bitcoin and it's way too high.

Keep in mind that a) you can buy fractions of a bitcoin or b) you can buy something like WTC that crushed its ATH and is currently at $9.25. EDIT: $10.65

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

It's far less than 5%.

Reactions: Homer Vote

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Heh, I remember being pissed that I bought into VTC at 60 cents rather than the 40 cents it was at when I first heard about it. The growth it's gone through over the last couple months is ****ing incredible. Curious to see what sort of effect the block reward halving has on the price.

As for Walton, I was going to buy in when it was down at around $4.50 the other day, but didn't want to move money over to Binance just for that. What a mistake that was. :facepalm:

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
Heh, I remember being pissed that I bought into VTC at 60 cents rather than the 40 cents it was at when I first heard about it. The growth it's gone through over the last couple months is ****ing incredible. Curious to see what sort of effect the block reward halving has on the price.

As for Walton, I was going to buy in when it was down at around $4.50 the other day, but didn't want to move money over to Binance just for that. What a mistake that was. :facepalm:
Looks good, the AMD miner is finally getting released and it's going to be before the halving (12th). Vertcoin was less than 1.50 usd when I ordered my Ledger nano s specifically for it, when it arrived it was at 4.00. Pissed

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003

Haha, nice. I didn't get in until it was at around $3.

My crypto regret right now is selling my LTC when it was around $75. I bought in under $50, but after shooting up near $100, it went on a prolonged dive and I got nervous and gave up on it. Stupid, obviously.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Looks good, the AMD miner is finally getting released and it's going to be before the halving (12th). Vertcoin was less than 1.50 usd when I ordered my Ledger nano s specifically for it, when it arrived it was at 4.00. Pissed

Is it worth buying more before the 12th, or is that unlikely to change the price at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad