Confirmed with Link: Crunch sign Mikhail Shalagin to a 1-year AHL contract

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Same reason we took a flyer on a kid like Marty St. Louis, Tyler Johnson, and Yanni Gourde... we have a history to rolling the dice...with low-risk high-reward types of transactions.. hopefully this ends up being another home run for us.

I know but... I get that the MHL isn't crazy prestigious, but still... 48 goals in 43 games (wasn't it?)? And he's 6'4? I just can't believe he fell all the way to us. But I'm glad he did. :)

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I know but... I get that the MHL isn't crazy prestigious, but still... 48 goals in 43 games (wasn't it?)? And he's 6'4? I just can't believe he fell all the way to us. But I'm glad he did. :)
I guess I don't understand that aspect of it either. Was the league he played in THAT significant in him not being picked sooner or did other teams just think that they wouldn't be able to get him to play in North America?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I guess I don't understand that aspect of it either. Was the league he played in THAT significant in him not being picked sooner or did other teams just think that they wouldn't be able to get him to play in North America?

Kucherov played there. So I don't know. Scored 24 goals in 23 games, his last season. So it's a goal where good players dominate. I'm just not sure what the red flags on this guy were.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Kucherov played there. So I don't know. Scored 24 goals in 23 games, his last season. So it's a goal where good players dominate. I'm just not sure what the red flags on this guy were.
Maybe it's more of a bias.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean - it's Russia's junior league, so he was a 19-year-old dominating the equivalent of the CHL (but less high quality talent), and developed physically pretty early. To boot, he's not a good skater (at the moment).

It's exactly the type of red flags you'd expect from a 7th round pick. It's also the exact type of risk you take with a 7th round pick.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mean - it's Russia's junior league, so he was a 19-year-old dominating the equivalent of the CHL (but less high quality talent), and developed physically pretty early. To boot, he's not a good skater (at the moment).

It's exactly the type of red flags you'd expect from a 7th round pick. It's also the exact type of risk you take with a 7th round pick.

Agreed, but I mean... NOBODY? I get that it was very much a men vs. boys situation, but when we're getting into the late rounds, I would assume somebody would look at 48 goals in 43 games and take the shot.

That said, I did mistakenly think we took him with our own 7th rounder, but he was Chicago's 7th from the Koekkoek/Rutta deal. So there could have been other teams looking to take the same shot on him.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Agreed, but I mean... NOBODY? I get that it was very much a men vs. boys situation, but when we're getting into the late rounds, I would assume somebody would look at 48 goals in 43 games and take the shot.

That said, I did mistakenly think we took him with our own 7th rounder, but he was Chicago's 7th from the Koekkoek/Rutta deal. So there could have been other teams looking to take the same shot on him.
Also - I doubt the MHL is heavily scouted. I'd imagine most of the scouting of Russia takes place in the VHL/international tournaments.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Also - I doubt the MHL is heavily scouted. I'd imagine most of the scouting of Russia takes place in the VHL/international tournaments.

Yeah, that's more what I'm thinking. I think Murray said, even of our own guys, only one guy scouted him.

He seems perfect for our situation though. I mean, I know chances of him working out are still slim... But a 6'4 winger who can score in close? At risk of a 7th? It would be just what the doctor ordered if it does work.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

I think for sure they will start him in the ahl but I could see it happening him playing in the nhl this year if he murders the ahl like Kucherov did

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Shalagin can barely skate. Let’s calm down with all the hype. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he plays the entire year in the echl. He was drafted in the 7th round for a reason.

Reactions: Todd1a

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Well he did say he would laugh. I would too because it would mean something has gone horribly wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad