Crowdsourcing the 2016-2017 Opening Night Roster - Poll #9, #3LD

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's not really about Engelland, it's the simple fact that a Engelland-Wideman pairing is an absolute horror show which no system can fix, particularly one that emphasizes speed and possession. It's about fit and what will work the most on the ice, not which player has seniority. Or at least that's the way it should be.

I too would rather have Engelland over Wideman as the 3rd RD as the former brings something unique to the group (truculence) while the latter is wholly redundant but that contract is a hard one to move. And I suspect the Flames will keep Wideman in the lineup even when he shouldn't be in a vain attempt to bolster his trade value by the deadline. Hopefully it doesn't handicap Gulutzan too much.

If Flames had a possession monster like Kopitar maybe? Where the three forwards can cycle without worrying about the D's assistance at all?

I'd hate Wideman and Engelland on the bottom pair. Their games do not mesh, and both are absolutely vulnerable to defensive lapses and speed. For what it's worth; I'd rather pay Russ to be the 3LD on this team than try this out :laugh:

You don't expect much from your bottom pair. I think Wideman fits the bill; he brings offence and offensive IQ; I think Engelland fits the bill. He's big, tough and can protect a net. Together they're a tire fire waiting to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad