Crouse or Rantanen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I should have rephrased the poll.

Do you agree with the rankings - is Crouse actually better than Rantanen. If you were drafting after the Leafs which one would you pick?

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Wouldn't even slightly consider either. If I had to pick probably Crouse because he's Canadian. You don't see many Euro power forwards

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We cant take either.

Every year there is an over hyped bust hidden in the mix. Both have that potential.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Lawson Crouse who is listed as #5 on NHL Central Scouting's final NA rankings and ISS Scouting that also have him at #5 both agencies ahead of Mitch Marner.

Most scouting reports have Crouse > Rantanen.

While Rantanen had a strong WJC he is a lot harder to follow while in Finland on a regular basis.

Interesting that everyone is saying Crouse but the poll is even.

I actually liked Rantanen's game more at the WJC. He displayed some elite skills during that tourney. He also had more TOI and played a more prominent role for his team so not a fair comparison based on the WJC's alone.

I think the Fin is flying under the radar a bit.

I have Crouse and Rantanen going one after the other

I agree with all of this quotes.

Rantanen is flying under the radar, because he's playing in Europe. And yeah, I think he goes a spot after Crouse, in my eyes, that would be Crouse as 9th and Rantanen as 10th.

Rantanen will never be mean powerforward, but he can be very good playmaking forward with size. Crouse might become great powerforward, his numbers with Bennett are really good, so I think he has some nice upside.

I think that Crouse would fit perfectly beside RyJo, I think that he would compliment him perfectly.

Shwaguy*

If Sam Bennett played all year everyone would literally be in love with Crouse.

Kingston was inept offensively

SSM had 7 players with more points than Kingston's scoring leader (Crouse)

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
How is this so close? Crouse is better than Ratanen in almost every way. ANot by a lot, but I don't see anyway someone would prefer Rantanen over Crouse.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Pavel Zacha is now #8 in the final rankings.He hasn' t played a full season.You could pass on the other 2 & move down a few spots & still draft a great power forward if you have that draft spot.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We're guaranteed to be drafting 1, 4 or 5. At 1 it's McDavid, at 4/5 it's very likely one of Marner/Hanifin/Strome. With Nashville's pick, these two will most likely be gone, though not certainly. I'm personally looking more at guys like Konecny, Zacha and Kylington with the Preds pick, though I'd certainly take Crouse if he dropped. Not too high on Rantanen, just seemed awkward on the ice, not a quick thinker making plays at high speed. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a Paajarvi type future in the NHL.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Crouse and it's not close. He takes a beating because he's not Strome or Marner, but he's better than Rantanen.

I have a question what makes him better than Rantanen?

One is playing in men's league and other is playing with other kids.

If we had a choice between them, I'd take Crouse, just to make Don happy, even though I think Rantanen is going to have good career.

grabovski94

Jun 18, 2011

If we had a choice between them, I'd take Crouse, just to make Don happy, even though I think Rantanen is going to have good career.

Am both a frontenacs and steelheads season ticket holder, so I see alot of OHL games. Crouse is CRIMINALLY underrated. His play this season has been great, even without Bennett (despite unimpressive point totals relative to the rest of the team). He is relied on in literally ALL situations. Outstanding skater. Always where he needs to be defensively. Has a big body and knows how to use it. The only draft eligible players I have seen who look more impressive so far (OHL wise) are McDavid and Marner. Yes, although Strome gets the points, Crouse has looked better than him every game.

I saw three Finland WJC games, Rantanen did not look nearly as good, but then again, it was only three games.

Anyways, thats just my two cents.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
Am both a frontenacs and steelheads season ticket holder, so I see alot of OHL games. Crouse is CRIMINALLY underrated. His play this season has been great, even without Bennett (despite unimpressive point totals relative to the rest of the team). He is relied on in literally ALL situations. Outstanding skater. Always where he needs to be defensively. Has a big body and knows how to use it. The only draft eligible players I have seen who look more impressive so far (OHL wise) are McDavid and Marner. Yes, although Strome gets the points, Crouse has looked better than him every game.

I saw three Finland WJC games, Rantanen did not look nearly as good, but then again, it was only three games.

Anyways, thats just my two cents.

Thanks, that's all I wanted to hear. He wasn't that impressive at WJC, but guys like you can tell us something that we can't see, since we haven't watched him as much.

I think it's going to be really tough to decide players from 6-11, but I sense that Crouse will be gone before Rantanen. I think Columbus would really appreciate such player with RyJo.

And since the best player from WHL seems to be Provorov, I think that Crouse will battle with him for 6th pick, this pick will depend on what are organisational needs probably.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
We're guaranteed to be drafting 1, 4 or 5. At 1 it's McDavid, at 4/5 it's very likely one of Marner/Hanifin/Strome. With Nashville's pick, these two will most likely be gone, though not certainly. I'm personally looking more at guys like Konecny, Zacha and Kylington with the Preds pick, though I'd certainly take Crouse if he dropped. Not too high on Rantanen, just seemed awkward on the ice, not a quick thinker making plays at high speed. Wouldn't be surprised to see him have a Paajarvi type future in the NHL.

I agree with this.

Crouse and Rantanen won't be around with our second pick and we'll be taking one of Marner/Strome/Hanifin at 4/5

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Lawson Crouse who is listed as #5 on NHL Central Scouting's final NA rankings and ISS Scouting that also have him at #5 both agencies ahead of Mitch Marner.

Most scouting reports have Crouse > Rantanen.

While Rantanen had a strong WJC he is a lot harder to follow while in Finland on a regular basis.

Based on the polls here (especially the Strome-Hanifin-Marner one), it appears as though most posters all on the Leaf section of HF Boards see a top 5 of McDavid-Eichel-Hanifin-Strome-Marner (not necessarily in that order).

However, you have posted this a few times - I am curious, what pick do you think Crouse will be selected at?

The board may be under-rating Crouse, or he may be one of the players that ends up falling in comparison to their rankings (ISS had Nylander in front of Draisaitl at 5th last year, and Fabbri at 8 - in front of Ritchie/Virtanen/Ehlers/Fleury).

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Crouse doesn't have the offensive upside to be a top ten pick. If you want Zack Kassian then you pick him with a later pick.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Crouse reminds me of a true PWF with the bite and a strong shot. Using his body to shield the puck and go through players. Rantanen reminds me of a JVR style PWF. Using his body to shield the puck and go around players. A Crouse is a much harder asset to acquire, which is why he's placing so high on scouting lists.

Atleast that's what I gathered watching them both at the World Juniors this year anyways.

I should note that I don't think the Leafs will be looking to pick either player with the 4th/45th pick.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
If Sam Bennett played all year everyone would literally be in love with Crouse.

Kingston was inept offensively

SSM had 7 players with more points than Kingston's scoring leader (Crouse)

Shouldn't a top 5 pick be able to shoulder the burden offensively by himself? Crouse is the one player I don't want with our 4-5 pick.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Crouse and it's not close. He takes a beating because he's not Strome or Marner, but he's better than Rantanen.

He probably takes a beating because his point totals in junior are somewhat embarrassing. Seriously, 51 points? Who was the last forward picked in the top ten to score that few points in the CHL.

grabovski94

Jun 18, 2011
Thanks, that's all I wanted to hear. He wasn't that impressive at WJC, but guys like you can tell us something that we can't see, since we haven't watched him as much.

I think it's going to be really tough to decide players from 6-11, but I sense that Crouse will be gone before Rantanen. I think Columbus would really appreciate such player with RyJo.

And since the best player from WHL seems to be Provorov, I think that Crouse will battle with him for 6th pick, this pick will depend on what are organisational needs probably.

Yeah, I think I have seen around 30-35 Frontenacs games this year and I've been watching him closely. He has honestly been the Frontenacs best player night in night out and is usually one of the most if not the most impressive skater on the ice.

As for his low point totals, just look at how much his team has scored this year compared to a team like London or Erie. For most of the year he was not playing with what one would call skilled linemates. I honestly can safely say I project a Backes-like player. I think his point totals will translate more directly to the NHL than most assume. He will be a 50-60 point winger who can hit, fight and kill penalties.

Scouts don't rank this guy this high for no reason. If he makes it out of the top eight he will be a steal.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Poll is irrelevant to us, but I voted Rantanen. I think his underrated, because he plays in europe. He plays in the mens league, though Finnish Elite League isn't the same it just to be, but it isn't youngsters league that much. It's pretty hard league for young players and it took a while for TPS to realize what kind of player Rantanen is. I'm not interested about the fact that his big or skilled. Interesting thing about him is his leadership and will.

His teams season was total fiasco, they had pretty expensive team and Carlyle like coach. They started mediocre and canned their coach and took total rookie coach in. That didn't help at all and they started total slide to the bottom. Rantanen wasn't that impressive at the start of the season, 10 points in the first half 1+9. Then he went to WJC and had tremendous tournament. After that he picked his play also in his team in FEL. Off course that helped that his team sold all their expensive and more experienced players. Though all that losing or being one of the go to guys in his club didn't rattle Rantanen and he started scoring also in FEL. It's unusual that young player show that kind of leadership and the situation wasn't easy. Lots of media pressure to their coach and to the whole team. It was total gong show.

That same leadership he showed in WJC and after his teams season ended he went to juniors and won championship there being the leading player in his team. Their pro club finished dead last, but their junior team won championship. He scored 14 points in 7 games there. Now his playing with Finnish National team as they are building team for World Championship. I don't think he makes it, but watched two games and you couldn't tell that he was 18 year old boy playing his second and third game in national team.

He has good head on his shoulders, his big and I think he has very bright future. He has took his role in every team this year and showed leadership and I think that's big thing for young player. That you can rely on him.

I don't usually want us to draft Finns. There has been few exceptions those being Tuukka Rask and Sami Vatanen(who was big steal as 4th rounder, he was exceptional player here). Off course there was Mikael Granlund and his hype, but I'm much more sold on Rantanen being NHL star than Granlund.

Sorry for long post and poor writing. Haven't seen Crouse, but Rantanen is very intriguing prospect and I think top Finnish prospects are nowadays little bit underrated, because our player production have been very poor last ten to fifteen years.

We can't pick him at 4th or 5th and if we trade up we probably do that for Zacha or Barzal, but I'd think that Rantanen would compliment our prospect pool and would be great fit for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce