Speculation: Crouse Contact Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I thought it was reported that term was agreed upon and money was the issue.
I read that too. However if it actually goes to arbitration then the contract will be no more than 2 years.

5x5 feels about right. I'd be happy to see 6 years at that rate.

Reactions: jmelm

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
I read that too. However if it actually goes to arbitration then the contract will be no more than 2 years.

Yeah I think so too. For me, I think anywhere from say, 4m - 5.5m on a long term deal is fine (4m is probably unrealistically low). Sure Crouse might get injured but power forwards who are also decent offensively are rare these days. And we all know Crouse plays hard -- good role model for the kids

Reactions: Summer Rose

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Tell you the truth, neither am I since hearing that term was agreed upon, which indicates to me that it is beyond UFA years.
For now, I'm looking at this as a simple negotiation tactic. I'll be surprised if a deal doesn't get done before the hearing. Also, if he were to be awarded a 2 year contract through arbitration, he'll likely be here long enough to see things come together and should be more likely to like what he sees at that point, and re-sign again after. Who knows really!? We'll see!

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
For now, I'm looking at this as a simple negotiation tactic. I'll be surprised if a deal doesn't get done before the hearing. Also, if he were to be awarded a 2 year contract through arbitration, he'll likely be here long enough to see things come together and should be more likely to like what he sees at that point, and re-sign again after. Who knows really!? We'll see!
Two years walks him right up to unrestricted free agency.

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
Crouse in most minds on this thread he is deserving of a 4-5 million with term. This is what 5 million or so gets you.
Strome 5 x 5
Smith 3 x 5
Palat 5 x 6
Peron 2 x 4.75
Lehkonen 5 x 4.5
Marchment 4 x 4.5
Mikheyev 4 x 4.75
Copp 5 x 5.6
Kane 4 x 5.1
Rakell 6 x 5
I would rather have every one on this list before Crouse except for Lehkonen.
3 year term is all I would give with a total compensation of 10 million.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Two years walks him right up to unrestricted free agency.
All we could do is wait and see if he likes what he sees at that point. Doesn't guarantee that he's gone is all I think. It's definitely riskier than locking him up now. That's why I believe mostly that it won't get to arbitration.

Edit: Then again, even with a contract extrnsion he could ask to be traded. It's all up in the air for now.

Last edited:

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013

5 years in this environment is WAY too long- IMO...

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Note: RFAs who go to arbitration cannot use UFAs for comparables -- only other RFAs.

If we want to be conspiracy theorists, there is only one advantage of going to arbitration: the arbiter can only award money & term, and cannot award no-trade clauses.

So if BA as a super-secret plan to trade Crouse (with 50% retention of course) and get a King's ransom for him, then BA would want to go to arbitration....or maybe trade him beforehand.

I've personally been an advocate of signing Crouse for 5+ years, but it obviously entirely depends on whether they see Crouse as a guy like Shane Doan-lite, who they want to keep around very long term to have as one of the veterans for when team is ready to compete; or if they see Crouse as being a guy likely past his prime when they're ready.

My guess is BA wants to and will keep him and get him signed long term, but I guess we'll find out soon. And if BA wants Crouse to be here long term, then unlikely Chychrun, the feeling will have to be mutual with Crouse.

Reactions: Jacob582

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
He wants 5 mil. We want 3 mil. Pretty clear to see where this is going to land.
I would say pretty clear it will land in 1 of 2 scenarios. Correct me if I'm wrong....you are thinking it will land in the middle. I think It could also land in a scenario where he's put on the trading block.
:popcorn:

Reactions: Mangosteen

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If you were to make a list of guys who play Bill Armstrong Hockey, Crouse would be near the top of the list. That makes me believe this will get done and on a long-term deal.

Curious to see how it goes it as it could be BA's first long-term deal. Outside of ELCs, his longest so far is 3 years for Vejmelka.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
If you were to make a list of guys who play Bill Armstrong Hockey, Crouse would be near the top of the list. That makes me believe this will get done and on a long-term deal.

Curious to see how it goes it as it could be BA's first long-term deal. Outside of ELCs, his longest so far is 3 years for Vejmelka.
8 years is the term that I hope for.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
He wants 5 mil. We want 3 mil. Pretty clear to see where this is going to land.

Yes, if it's 2 years. But if we're not buying up UFA years and want to go long term, I think it will be more, unless Crouse deep down feels like he may not score 20 goals again in the next 2 years.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Thoughts on whether the Mathieu Joseph contract is useful in ascertaining Crouse's value?

Screenshot_20220729-114814_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad