Speculation: Crouse Contact Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoSi

Nov 15, 2021
One year deal and he'll be an rfa again next year. They must want him to prove last year wasn't a fluke before signing him long term. He might want to prove he deserves more money on a long term deal.

Reactions: Prarievarg

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
2 years, but the arbitrator can award 2 years. I do not know what determines 1 or 2 years awards.

Like to see him sign before and would be happy with an 8 year, $30M deal get done.
Team elected arbitration but not sure who gets to pick the term. I think it’s the player.

CoSi

Nov 15, 2021
Team elected arbitration but not sure who gets to pick the term. I think it’s the player.
I believe this was player elected and therefore team chooses term. They'll choose 1 year to keep his rfa status.

Reactions: jmelm and hbk

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Crouse actually elected arbitration, so according to the CBA it would have been Armstrong that elected for a single year.
I was holding on to hope that both sides would agree on a long term deal before the hearing. Now that I understand Bill chose a 1 year term and seeing how low he went on the offer, I'm confident that Crouse will be traded at the deadline.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was holding on to hope that both sides would agree on a long term deal before the hearing. Now that I understand Bill chose a 1 year term and seeing how low he went on the offer, I'm confident that Crouse will be traded at the deadline.
It makes more sense to me to do a sign and trade right now.

3yrs, 11.01mil, 3.67aav (jersey number) but retained to 50% for 1.835aav.

Could get Knies, Holl and probably a ‘23 2nd from TOR, I bet.

Flip Holl, along with Chychrun (at 50%) to Ottawa for Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Greig, and a ‘23 1st and a ‘23 2nd.

Grieg, Knies, Brannstrom, a ‘23 1st, and two ‘23 2nds for Chychrun, Crouse, and cap considerations.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It makes more sense to me to do a sign and trade right now.

3yrs, 11.01mil, 3.67aav (jersey number) but retained to 50% for 1.835aav.

Could get Knies, Holl and probably a ‘23 2nd from TOR, I bet.

Flip Holl, along with Chychrun (at 50%) to Ottawa for Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Greig, and a ‘23 1st and a ‘23 2nd.

Grieg, Knies, Brannstrom, a ‘23 1st, and two ‘23 2nds for Chychrun, Crouse, and cap considerations.
I insist on Klevin over Brannstrom.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
This is what 5 million or so gets you.
Strome 5 x 5
Smith 3 x 5
Palat 5 x 6
Peron 2 x 4.75
Lehkonen 5 x 4.5
Marchment 4 x 4.5
Mikheyev 4 x 4.75
Copp 5 x 5.6
Kane 4 x 5.1
Rakell 6 x 5
These were all UFA's. They don't make a good direct comparison with an RFA.

Reactions: Jakey53

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Big mistake actually going to arb, can you even trade a player who has gone to arb?

And next year when he has 1 year left, it's gonna be impossible to ask for a long contract then. Then he certainly takes the arb and gets one year again. This remains me of what the Wild did with Fiala, they had to trade him right after the draft (or possibly before, but they could only do that because he signed a 1-year deal before the arb they had asked for. If I understood this right. ). I trust my comments won't ruin the teams negotiation-position, luckily I'm to far away for that, so here it goes: Crouse is legit. Give him money!

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I like the @rt suggestion of Knies PLUS.

There's no chance TOR will give up Knies for Crouse, let alone a +. TOR views him as a future top line winger. Crouse is an amazing 3rd line winger. I love Crouse and think he would be in huge demand around the league (were it not for the cap), but you don't trade a prospect who you think is a top line W for a guy who's a great 3rd line W.

They also think Knies can step in at the end of this college season and play right away, and play full time with the team the following year, as opposed to spending much time in the AHL (and of course he'll be on an ELC so that's even cheaper than Crouse retained at 50%.) That's the buzz I hear living in TOR.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There's no chance TOR will give up Knies for Crouse, let alone a +. TOR views him as a future top line winger. Crouse is an amazing 3rd line winger. I love Crouse and think he would be in huge demand around the league (were it not for the cap), but you don't trade a prospect who you think is a top line W for a guy who's a great 3rd line W.

They also think Knies can step in at the end of this college season and play right away, and play full time with the team the following year, as opposed to spending much time in the AHL (and of course he'll be on an ELC so that's even cheaper than Crouse retained at 50%.) That's the buzz I hear living in TOR.
Well, the + was some kind of cap dump.

Leafs are in MUST win mode. Do they take a chance on a pure rookie making a difference in the playoffs after 20 or so NHL games under his belt?

Crouse is a know entity. He brings what the Leafs lack. He is more likely to help the Leafs get out of the 1st round than another talented offensive player will. My opinion of course.

Reactions: MaKarter

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Tavaras isn't getting any younger. Matthews' contract is an unknown and Michael Bunting isn't making 950k next season. They need Crouse, not Knies is this short window.

Reactions: Nowotny

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Toronto has to fire Dubas if they don't get beyond round 1 again. I would think this is the most important season of his career and waiting on a kid in college who is years away from his prime over getting Crouse now should be something to consider. Unless he hasn't thought about it. Lol
No pressure Kyle, just saying.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Thinking about a Crouse and Gostisbehere to NJ for Blackwood and Severson. All 4 are on their last year of their contract (if Crouse gets 1 year)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Toronto has to fire Dubas if they don't get beyond round 1 again. I would think this is the most important season of his career and waiting on a kid in college who is years away from his prime over getting Crouse now should be something to consider. Unless he hasn't thought about it. Lol
No pressure Kyle, just saying.
100% - it’s funny to think that a team that can’t get out of the 1st round has a generational player approaching UFA would be hyper protective of amateur players. Haha.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
If Toronto doesn’t get out of the first rounds, Matthews walks

If Toronto gets out of the first round, the chances of Matthews walking is still present, though slightly lower

They got two years to make it happen. Knies will be a casualty to make it happen

Reactions: Jagged Ice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad