Confirmed with Link: Crosby wins ESPY as Best NHL Player

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I liked the ESPYs a lot better when they were mostly about awesome plays. They would have commercials showing the top four or five plays of the year for each sport, and you'd vote. I think Tomas Sandstrom's top-shelf goal from his ass (against the Nordiques) was up for an ESPY. Maybe it even won.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Haha, I'm pleased to say I found that goal. Go to 1:16.

And indeed it won the ESPY. They only awarded the plays of the year for six years. Really weird, it's the only thing I think about with the ESPYs. You would think a network built on highlights would incorporate more highlights in their awards show.

Here's the complete list of winners:

1998: Darren McCarty of Detroit scores on a great move
1997: Steve Yzerman's OT goal in a scoreless Game 7 vs. St. Louis
1996: Tomas Sandstrom scores from the seat of his pants
1995: John Vanbiesbrouck with a glove save (and no stick)
1994: Wayne Gretzky plucks the puck out of the air to score
1993: Jaromir Jagr goal around three players

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I remember last year he didn't even know he was nominated until a reporter told him :laugh:

LOL yep. This is true.
He didn't go, obviously but i think Lundqvist presented something and Getzlaf/some Kings players were in the crowd.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I remember last year he didn't even know he was nominated until a reporter told him :laugh:

That was great. :laugh:

Sid is a fool for not appreciating an award of the ESPY's calibre. It's like a Hart, Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, Selke, Vezina, Norris, Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, Emmy, Nobel Prize, People's Choice and Pulitzer all rolled into one, and it's made out of diamonds.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Haha, I'm pleased to say I found that goal. Go to 1:16.

And indeed it won the ESPY. They only awarded the plays of the year for six years. Really weird, it's the only thing I think about with the ESPYs. You would think a network built on highlights would incorporate more highlights in their awards show.

Here's the complete list of winners:

1998: Darren McCarty of Detroit scores on a great move
1997: Steve Yzerman's OT goal in a scoreless Game 7 vs. St. Louis
1996: Tomas Sandstrom scores from the seat of his pants
1995: John Vanbiesbrouck with a glove save (and no stick)
1994: Wayne Gretzky plucks the puck out of the air to score
1993: Jaromir Jagr goal around three players

Some great vintage Paul Ranheim in there, too.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It's important to everyone outside the hockey world. It's a pretty big deal and a way better show than the NHL awards show.

Sucks hockey has such a bad relationship with espn

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
1295.gif

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Because ESPN awards are important / ESPN cares about hockey. I mean good for Sid but seriously who gives a **** when it comes to ESPN and anything hockey?

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
It does make me pretty angry the way ESPN treats hockey these days. I remember a couple years ago, they cut time away from hockey to go to a live feed of NY Jets OTAs. No one was even there yet! That was the year they got Tebow and so they thought sports fans would rather look at an empty football field than hear about playoff hockey. It made me sick.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It does make me pretty angry the way ESPN treats hockey these days. I remember a couple years ago, they cut time away from hockey to go to a live feed of NY Jets OTAs. No one was even there yet! That was the year they got Tebow and so they thought sports fans would rather look at an empty football field than hear about playoff hockey. It made me sick.

ESPN is a very good business. They show what makes them the most money. And I'm not just talking broadcasting contracts. I'm talking about immediate viewership. They are going to show whatever gets them the most viewers. Most ESPN viewers would rather look at an empty football field and hear about the most recent football sensation than watch hockey clips. If that wasn't true, they would show more hockey clips. They are in the business of making money, and hockey doesn't make them money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad