Crosby vs Ovechkin

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
And most goals have assists.

Taken one to one, goals are better than points. But big points almost always reign supreme when it comes to comparing players. More points means the player was "in on" more goals than the other guy.

Actually it doesn't and he has explained why.

Assists are given arbitrarily in the league and many important plays that contribute to goals are not awarded a "point." Such as the third assist, the player who screens the goalie, the player who makes a key check that clears space for his linemates and the player who draws double coverage and opens up room for his linemates (something Ovechkin does often).

The metric that accounts for the player being "in on" goals is actually +/-. For every goal scored, every player on the ice is technically in on that goal.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
And most goals have assists.

Taken one to one, goals are better than points. But big points almost always reign supreme when it comes to comparing players. More points means the player was "in on" more goals than the other guy.

I agree.

Noting also that while I consider the point system broken (broken-as-designed?) it's same for all players, it clearly over value offensive side of game but when doing so, do it by undervaluing goal scoring relative to categorically not-necessary one or two, more or less random passes before it. Essentially it's bad proxy for offensive contribution, that isn't limited to passing chains of two, or that does a player have actual, real puck possession at all when acting for benefits of his line, and ultimately for his team. It dramatically underrates defensive side of the game, that can be argued to be almost equally important than offensive side, beyond that one more critical goal needed for the win.

In this thread it's about evaluation of players, putting them in some kind order of pre-eminence. Good tradition is to try back up opinions with measurable things, statistical facts, sheer number values i.e. hard evidence. How far we can really go in that if the measurement stick itself doesn't make justice to the nature of game? How much value we can really put to various trophies if their awarding criteria is based to conventional, arbitrarily set point values of only few defined in-game offensive activities while not seeing and counting others in reality worthy actions? (for another example the mask man on front of the grease who doesn't touch the puck but has important role for a scoring chance to become a high danger scoring chance and very often also - the goal scored).

It's obvious that more prodigious playmaker you are that more you will suffer from invisibility on scoring boards relative to your real offensive contribution. That's one of my primary arguments in defense of Sid's case regardless of all aforementioned about goals and goals scoring.

It's clear that Sid has been damn well "in on" more goals than he is actually credited, and I assume disproportionally more than Ovechkin-type 'pure goal scorers' (tho I can't back that assumption up by any comprehensive, reliable statistical source).

As a category 'Goals' are much more objective, easily countable and "pure" point category than assists. Differences in Quality of goals disappears from evaluation immediately after it is scored; the puck is in the net and went in legally, but variances in qualitative aspects of credited and not-credited assists doesn't not have that luxury. There are much more haze there. Arse-deflections are treated just like perfect play making saucer passes, (if they are counted at all) introducing noise to already bad proxy of offensive contribution.

The best score board invisible offensive NHL-player? -thread would be really interesting topic. /rants :)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It's clear that Sid has been damn well "in on" more goals than he is actually credited, and I assume disproportionally more than Ovechkin-type 'pure goal scorers' (tho I can't back that assumption up by any comprehensive, reliable statistical source).

By virtue of touching the puck, yes. As a center he does this much more often than Ovechkin.

By other virtues, not so sure.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Have you ever compared McDavids first 3 years in the NHL point wise to Crosby's?

McDavid: 209 gp - 87 G - 159 A - 256 Points
Crosby: 213 gp - 99G - 195A - 294 Points

Explain to me how McDavid is better than Crosby was at that point in their careers.

When Crosby and Ovechkin retire, Crosby will have passed him in points, lead the league in assists during his playing time and be 2nd in goals.

Sure Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer, possibly ever, but that does not mean he is better than Crosby.

Crosby's stats were buffed heavily by the many more powerplays awarded back then in which he got to play with elite guys like Gonchar, Recchi, and Malkin. In his second season for example more than half of his 120 points were from powerplays.

Powerplays were up drastically in Crosby's first 3 seasons and he played on a vastly better PP unit as evidenced by the quality of teammates and their success. Had those powerplays been reduced to the average awarded in McDavid's first 3 seasons it's probable he scores less than 120 points and possible he doesn't even crack 100 in that second season. While Crosby's even strength socring would have statistically went up from being on less powerplays in those first 3 seasons his over all scoring would have most likely dippped drastically rather than increase or stay the same.

McDavid's route to his points were less dependent on having a man (or more) advantage and he also had 2 Art Ross' in those 3 years, he managed this while being the only generational talent on his own team in 16/17 and 17/18 and did this while not having the benefit of the great PP linemates Crosby had at that time. All things considered McDavid's first 3 seasons are better.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Assists are given arbitrarily in the league and many important plays that contribute to goals are not awarded a "point." Such as the third assist, the player who screens the goalie, the player who makes a key check that clears space for his linemates and the player who draws double coverage and opens up room for his linemates (something Ovechkin does often).

The metric that accounts for the player being "in on" goals is actually +/-. For every goal scored, every player on the ice is technically in on that goal.
I'm not talking about my opinion. I am talking about how players are generally viewed and compared.

PittsburghPens8771

Oct 1, 2017
Crosby's stats were buffed heavily by the many more powerplays awarded back then in which he got to play with elite guys like Gonchar, Recchi, and Malkin. In his second season for example more than half of his 120 points were from powerplays.

Powerplays were up drastically in Crosby's first 3 seasons and he played on a vastly better PP unit as evidenced by the quality of teammates and their success. Had those powerplays been reduced to the average awarded in McDavid's first 3 seasons it's probable he scores less than 120 points and possible he doesn't even crack 100 in that second season. While Crosby's even strength socring would have statistically went up from being on less powerplays in those first 3 seasons his over all scoring would have most likely dippped drastically rather than increase or stay the same.

McDavid's route to his points were less dependent on having a man (or more) advantage and he also had 2 Art Ross' in those 3 years, he managed this while being the only generational talent on his own team in 16/17 and 17/18 and did this while not having the benefit of the great PP linemates Crosby had at that time. All things considered McDavid's first 3 seasons are better.

Nope. Terrible argument. Crosby never had a linemate like Draisaitl.

I know Oilers fans pretend like like they play on separate lines but he doesn't. They have the benefit of each other. Next...

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017

I know Oilers fans pretend like like they play on separate lines but he doesn't. They have the benefit of each other. Next...
Nice kneejerk but my argument is a sound argument. Yours is the terrible argument since McDavid doesn't play with Draisaitl all the time and puts up around the same amount of points with or without him.

That said I'd say Crosby is a better all around player than Ovi but Ovi is a significantly better goal scorer.

JustTheDad

Jun 8, 2018
What does better mean? Seriously. In what position and on what team?

I know I'd choose Ovechkin over Crosby, but I wouldn't say it's because he better. They're both fantastic players, and different.

But if I were building a team, I'd take the one who scores more, and who can hit and is durable, not fragile. Crosby has around 600 hits, Ovechkin has more than 3x as many. How many turnovers is that? How much fatigue and hesitation has that caused other teams. Ovechkin is bigger and stronger and it matters in the game. One more big hit and Crosby is finished. It's tragic, but his brain can't take more trauma. It's part of why he isn't the GOAT. He isn't genetically tailor made for hockey. He is one of the most talented players ever, and one of the hardest working. I admire him more for that work ethic and his courage than for his goals. He's awesome. But if I were building a team and my first choice were between those two, and I could only choose one, it would be Ovechkin.

But better? Neither is the better player.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
What does better mean? Seriously. In what position and on what team?

I know I'd choose Ovechkin over Crosby, but I wouldn't say it's because he better. They're both fantastic players, and different.

But if I were building a team, I'd take the one who scores more, and who can hit and is durable, not fragile. Crosby has around 600 hits, Ovechkin has more than 3x as many. How many turnovers is that? How much fatigue and hesitation has that caused other teams. Ovechkin is bigger and stronger and it matters in the game. One more big hit and Crosby is finished. It's tragic, but his brain can't take more trauma. It's part of why he isn't the GOAT. He isn't genetically tailor made for hockey. He is one of the most talented players ever, and one of the hardest working. I admire him more for that work ethic and his courage than for his goals. He's awesome. But if I were building a team and my first choice were between those two, and I could only choose one, it would be Ovechkin.

But better? Neither is the better player.

The major injury Crosby suffered during his prime wasn't a concussion; it was a misdiagnosed vertebral fracture. The few concussions he's suffered since then, he's been able to bounce back really quickly from. He's no more fragile than any other player in the league who's suffered concussions before.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The major injury Crosby suffered during his prime wasn't a concussion; it was a misdiagnosed vertebral fracture. The few concussions he's suffered since then, he's been able to bounce back really quickly from. He's no more fragile than any other player in the league who's suffered concussions before.
I don’t know why his injury history is used against him. It’s pretty astonishing that he dealt with all that and still remained one of the best in the league.

Fragile is the opposite of what I’d describe Sid as.

Reactions: Hornqvists Glasses

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As mentioned, Ovi's peak was better, Crosby's been more consistent.

Both are going to go down as all-time greats, both will go into the HOF, and now both will have their names on the Cup.
I don't think we really got to see the best of Crosby's peak because of his concussion, but being at or near the top of the league for literally the entirety of his career, ppg average, etc, apparently not enough vs 1 great season!

JustTheDad

Jun 8, 2018
I said I didn't think Ovechkin is better than Crosby. I don't think you can say one is better. I give Crosby credit for more focus and his courage. I know we all like to give credit for courage when we evaluate players. It's more heroic. But Crosby's symptoms and MRI change from concussions are what they are.

Neither is "better", but everything factors in if you are deciding who you'd want building a team. I know which of the two I would choose. Being concussion prone would tip the scales away from Crosby. Hits would tip the scales towards Ovechkin. The other stats you can argue.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Assists are not given arbitrarily. Be the last or 2nd last player to touch the puck after the goal scorer and you get an assist. Not exactly arbitrary.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Assists are not given arbitrarily. Be the last or 2nd last player to touch the puck after the goal scorer and you get an assist. Not exactly arbitrary.

It is an arbitrary choice to credit non-goal scoring contributions the way the NHL does. It is arbitrary to give assists strictly based on touch. It is also arbitrary to award two assists as opposed to one assist (as the Russian leagues used to do) or as opposed to 3 assists.

Reactions: ujju2

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The reason this is arguable is because Crosby lost a sizeable portion of his prime to injuries. His trophy case just doesn't do justice to his abilities as a player. He lost out on at least 2 Harts (2010-2011, 2012-2013), 2 Art Ross (2010-2011, 2012-2013), 1 Rocket (2010-2011), and 1 Pearson/Lindsay (2010-2011) due purely to injuries.

JustTheDad

Jun 8, 2018
Injuries that come with the way he plays, how he moves, skates, trains, places himself during play, and yes, how others play against him. But it's not like anyone is out to give Crosby a concussion more than with other great players. When you play at 100% effort all the time in a physical game, and go after opportunities others might not even see, it's a risk and you're more likely to get hurt. Especially if you aren't the biggest, toughest guy out there. Why would you try to give credit for injury time?

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Another caveat to the argument for Ovi, if not already mentioned: he strikes me as a Jagr type who won’t quit playing hockey until nobody wants him anymore. And with his playing style and body, he will for sure last into his 40’s.

Crosby on the other hand, while he loves the game and may want to play as long as he can too, is softer and has a concussion history which will likely result in him retiring at least 5 years earlier than Ovi will, mark my word.

This is where Ovi will really pass Crosby. He’ll smoke him in career goals and points, and probably even assists as well. And that’s more time too to add to his already impressive trophy case.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Another caveat to the argument for Ovi, if not already mentioned: he strikes me as a Jagr type who won’t quit playing hockey until nobody wants him anymore. And with his playing style and body, he will for sure last into his 40’s.

Crosby on the other hand, while he loves the game and may want to play as long as he can too, is softer and has a concussion history which will likely result in him retiring at least 5 years earlier than Ovi will, mark my word.

This is where Ovi will really pass Crosby. He’ll smoke him in career goals and points, and probably even assists as well. And that’s more time too to add to his already impressive trophy case.

Not sure you know what the term "caveat" means. Hopeful speculation is not the basis for a caveat.

I would bet big money that a rested and motivated Crosby blows away OV next year. Or even if both play to their current level of ability, Crosby has the clearly better season.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Hahaha! McDavid never had a power play partner like Malkin. McDavid never had a defenseman that could move the puck like Gonchar.

Didn't you get the memo that Drai sucks and is heavily overpaid?

Next indeed.

Scotty Pucks

Bring back “Doop” as Flyers Goal Song
Apr 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Not sure you know what the term "caveat" means. Hopeful speculation is not the basis for a caveat.

I would bet big money that a rested and motivated Crosby blows away OV next year. Or even if both play to their current level of ability, Crosby has the clearly better season.
I will do an avatar bet with you that Ovi has a better year than Sid next year, and eliminates the Penguins yet again.

Last edited by a moderator:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

In what way does Ovechkin strike you as a Jagr type? Because they're both European and like to party?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Both are amazing players. Both are future HOF'ers.

Mad respect for both. Their games are different though.

Ovi was a monster this year. Crosby has also been dominant in past years.

Splitting hairs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad