Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, and Draisaitl

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So how much of McDavid's power play edge over Crosby is because Draisaitl is a more adaptable power play weapon than Malkin? Or is McDavid just better than Crosby with the man advantage?

Here are what the stats say:

Top single season PP scorers since 2005:

McDavid 71 - (22/23)
Draisaitl 62 - (22/23)
Crosby 61 - 06/07 (rookie Malkin 40 points)

In Crosby's notable PP scoring season, Malkin was more of a passenger than a leading co-force like Draisaitl. Both Malkin and Draisaitl lead their team in PP goals but Malkin was the clearly inferior PP playmaker than Draisaitl.

Another notable PP scoring season for Crosby and Malkin was 08/09 (the only season that they were both in their prime and playing uninjured). They were Top 5 in PP points with Malkin scoring 14 PP goals to Crosby's 7.

I think Draisaitl may have the PP scoring edge over Malkin. But then Malkin has a clearer bigger edge over Draisaitl in ES scoring.

I don't think you can say with any confidence that McDavid, who looked like his ES scoring was his strength thru his first four seasons, is the better PP player. I think he gets his points regardless. And if you want to argue that he is, then you would have to then concede that Crosby is the better ES scorer given their similar offensive dominance.

It is worth noting that Crosby and Malkin produced at elite ES levels in the RS and POs in 08/09 while primarily on their own lines (exclusively in the playoffs) with notably below average wingers. Malkin was in on 41% of Crosby's ES points in the RS and 19% of Crosby's ES points in the POs.

In 18/19, the best ES scoring season for the McDavid/Draisaitl combo, Draisaitl was in on 54% of McDavid's ES points in RS. In the 2022 playoffs, their best ES scoring playoff run, Draisaitl was in on 63% of McDavid's ES points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad