Crosby is gunning for the Rocket.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I mean, in the part of their response that you didn't bold, they seem to agree with you? (Otherwise they wouldn't have specified "of my generation").
Goat means "greatest of all time".

So, if the person didn't mean to say that he's the greatest of all time, he probably shouldn't have said that he's the greatest of all time. Just my opinion, of course.

On Crosby, I think that he's building some strong chemistry with Karlsson. Would be cool to see him hit 50 goals, even at this point in his career. Although that'll still be a long shot.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
I'm aware of what you point out (and I agree with you). Their elaboration (that you ignored) was helpful in determining their actual intent.
Perhaps you are both missing the poster's actual intent.
The (36 year-old) Kid is a domesticated species of goat-antelope typically kept as livestock above all others.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Goat means "greatest of all time".
In the context the word was used it clearly means "the best of his generation." Words do not carry a universal meaning that can be defined objectively, but they have the meaning each person intends to attach to them. If he meant "the greatest of all time," then the following sentence would have been pointless and meaningless.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
13 Players on pace for 50 plus goals.

Some of them on pace for 60 ....including Sid. 87 is just amazing.

Pasternac will win Art Ross and Rocket.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I feel like people still don't fully realize how good of a goal scorer Crosby is in his own right. If he hadn't lost so much of his prime to injuries, he'd have basically been a lock for at least 700 goals in his career.
It's particularly impressive considering he doesn't necessarily have a shot that allows him to score consistently from long range and he has never been put as a go-to shooting option on the PP.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Jeez Louise, I didn't think my statement would create such reaction. To the other poster's defense, I did use the term GOAT a bit lightly there but my point was that Sid the Kid is the best hockey player of my generation. For me, he has been the greatest hockey player to win it all both at international and club level. A leader and a true team player both on and off the ice (team friendly contract to insure the organization can sign the other key players; his commitment towards youth hockey etc).

Reactions: authentic

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
After many years, the "Secondary Sid" argument seems to have finally stopped.

In the regular season, Crosby currently ranks 13th all-time in primary points (goals plus primary assists), compared to 23rd in secondary assists.

In the playoffs, he's currently 7th in primary points, compared to 13th (tied) in secondary assists.

And in total, if I've calculated this correctly, he just became one of only 12 players in NHL history with 1,300 primary points (RS and PO combined). He ranks 17th in second assists (combined RS and PO).

No matter how you look at it, if secondary assists were dropped (which, by the way, doesn't have a valid statistical basis), Crosby would look better, not worse.

Also - there are more than 90 players with 800+ primary points (RS and PO combined). Crosby has the 8th highest PPG pace. All seven of the players ahead of him spent most/all of their career in a higher scoring era. And although it's true that PPG can favour younger players and/or smaller sample sizes, assuming he stays healthy this year, he'll have played more games than all of the others except Gretzky. (The players ahead on this list are Gretzky, Lemieux, Bossy, Dionne, Esposito, Stastny, and Hawerchuk).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad