Crosby in the 'Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'm from the west, and I hear a lot of people here saying if Crosby were in the WHL he would hardly be putting up half the points he is in the soft and offensive Q.

To those that say that, how do you respond to this?

Mike Comrie 5'10" 176 lbs
2000-01 Kootenay Ice WHL 37 39 40 79

Mike Comrie is listed as 1 pound heavier than Corsby right now. Would that pound be enough to cut the point production in half? I realize Comrie was 20 when he put up those numbers, but he's still an offensively gifted small forward.

PEli*

Don_Cherry said:
I'm from the west, and I hear a lot of people here saying if Crosby were in the WHL he would hardly be putting up half the points he is in the soft and offensive Q.

Mike Comrie is listed as 1 pound heavier than Corsby right now. Would that pound be enough to cut the point production in half? I realize Comrie was 20 when he put up those numbers, but he's still an offensively gifted small forward.

Not nearly as offensively gifted as Sidney Crosby.

The Q is not soft and not strictly offensive anymore. Just like the W isn't the only gritty league, the Q isn't the only scoring league.

The people say this are just people that like to talk about their favorite league. There's no proof or facts to prove what Crosby would or wouldn't do in the W or the O. So why speculate?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Don_Cherry said:

the people who say this are not educated posters IMO. The QMJHL has been known as an offensive league only but for the past few years this is the old news and it is time for the new, there are some good d-man now comming out of the Maritimes and Quebec that are getting high reconition from scouts and there are alot of big players that are heavy hitters in the league as well, so it is not like Sidney is just flying around the ice and no one is touching him, Sid is getting double and triple teammead every night and every player is trying to run him out there, by no means does he have it easy.

As for the scoring part I would say Crosby would still be leading scorer of the league and possibly CHL still, people who have seen him play see his talents. For some it is easy to sit behind you computer look at size and stats and come up with an assumption then post it, not ever seeing him play except maybe a game on TV or something.

I still think he would be doing is tearing apart in all three leagues.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
So where are all these people that believe Crosby would be barely ahead of Brule? There must be some people out there still that believe Crosby's numbers are only a product his league.

That's the side I'm looking to hear from. I want to see if there is a reasonable arguement they can make now considering Comrie's numbers. I can't see Crosby being a whole lot less productive in any league, the guy is amazing.

PEli*

Don_Cherry said:
I can't see Crosby being a whole lot less productive in any league, the guy is amazing.

Exactly. There are marginal talents they may see their numbers change by switching leagues, whether it's the W to the Q, the other way around or whatever. Then there is talent like Sidney's. You can't stop this kind of talent.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:
So where are all these people that believe Crosby would be barely ahead of Brule? There must be some people out there still that believe Crosby's numbers are only a product his league.

That's the side I'm looking to hear from. I want to see if there is a reasonable arguement they can make now considering Comrie's numbers. I can't see Crosby being a whole lot less productive in any league, the guy is amazing.

I would think Crosby's point totals in the WHL would be slightly less than they are right now in the QMJHL. If Brule can put up a point per game at 16, Crosby would be somewhere in the point and half or more per game. The WHL is stronger defensively than the Q and probably the OHL and IMO, Crosby would not be over 2pts per game in the dub.

Another example would be LITTLE Nigel Dawes. The kid had over 90pts last year as a 17 yr old and this year has something like 31 goals in 30 games on a not so good Kootenay team. And I don't believe Dawes was ever considered for the Canadian WJT at 16.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Don_Cherry said:

I posted this thread already 2 or 3 weeks ago! So the stats aren't updated!

WHL 383 games played, 2165 goals scored = 5.65 goals per game

QMJHL 309 games played, 2080 goals scored = 6.73 goals per game

The Q score 19 % more respectively.

Crosby is averaging 2.3 ppg and 1 goal per game (33-33-43-76).

That means that Crosby still score about 64pts (in 33 games) in the WHL!

If he hadn't played at the WJC, he would still lead the CHL in scoring!

Never a half point production, dude!

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Cariboux said:
there it goes again... the Q have better goalies than the WHL so his numbers would be the same or superior

Absolutely not.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Crosby is a biproduct of his league, and I think that Crosby would have probably slightly less points than he does now (I'm thinking a difference of 0.15 in his ppg rating) because the fact of the matter is that while the league isn't AS offensively oriented as it used to be, it still is the MOST offensively oriented league in Canada. I mean, Fleury had a 3.36 GAA in his final year in the league. One of the best goaltenders to emerge from junior hockey in the past ten years. Brodeur's GAA was 3.39.

A much more marginal goalie, Dan Cloutier, in his final year in the OHL had a GAA of 2.84. I know GAA is far from everything, but its at least a slight idication of the trends in the league in terms of goals. Of course, the latter of those two stats are older, but anyhow.

The point is, anyone who watches the QMJHL knows that its far more offensively oriented, and with all due respect to the defencemen in the league...well, to be blunt, is by far the weakest league for producing defencemen. This DOES jack up people's stats, face it, this is reality.

That said, Crosby is a unique talent and would dominate in any league he was playing in. Would he have as MANY points as he does? I don't believe so. Would he still be leading any league? Probably, especially if he'd played all the games.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Lost in the comparison between Comrie and Crosby is that Crosby is 16 years old while Comrie was what, 19 at the time?

Dominance is dominance and regardless if he drops a handful of points by a switch of leagues, what he's accomplishing is extemely impressive.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Just to put some numbers on the W-Q comparison, WHL teams are scoring an average of 2.84 goals per game, QMJHL ones average 3.37. If you reduce Crosby's stats by the roughly 16% difference, he'd have 64 points in 33 games. That'd put him third in WHL scoring, but first in points-per-game.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Lard_Lad said:
Just to put some numbers on the W-Q comparison, WHL teams are scoring an average of 2.84 goals per game, QMJHL ones average 3.37. If you reduce Crosby's stats by the roughly 16% difference, he'd have 64 points in 33 games. That'd put him third in WHL scoring, but first in points-per-game.

Eh, usually I'm not a fan of statistical manipulation like this, but in this case I think it illustrates the difference well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad