News Article: Crosby and Malkin Turn the Page on Last Spring

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am just glad that Scuderi is back, to have someone on the back end that doesn't make me anxious while watching the games is going to be fun, there is finally some solid balance on the back end with Martin, Orpik, and Scuderi to blend with Niskanen, Letang and Despres and if he still lasts - Engelland. Hopefully Bortuzzo ends up as the 7th man.

Aside from that, I don't really care to hear about how tough the loss was, how many times have we read comments like that since 2009's win? It's not just a player issue, so I rather not pay much attention to what they are saying, I am glad J.M is on board though, as Jaded_fan's comment in the other thread (hilarious btw), it's good to have a "coach development coach" on board. Ha.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Our 4th line was Satan-Adams-Dupuis in the Cup year if I remember correctly. This team could use some more size up front for sure, but I'd prefer that guy to be playing in the top 9.

Let D'Agostini flank Vitale and Adams to hopefully bring us the occasional clutch goal.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a "Jokinen, Sutter, D'Agostini" 3rd line.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
And hockey is a game where skill doesn't win out a majority of the time. It's a weird example, but it's sort of how Herb Brooks picked the Miracle team. It wasn't about the skill, it was about the team, and how the team played together, and what specific guys brought to the table. Strategy and coaching also matters a lot more in hockey than most other sports, even if other sports spend much more time doing actual coaching throughout the course of a game, like football.

When a team wins a Cup, you can look back and see guys who weren't highly skilled guys but were pivotal in the success oft he team. Without those guys, the team doesn't win. When we won we had guys like Talbot, Rupp, Scuderi, Gill, and Adams who all stepped up and played crucial roles for us.

Going into the playoffs last season, that was the most skilled team I think we have seen in the Crosby era, but even going into the playoffs, you could see it was missing something. I know from my point of view, I was desperately hoping we'd find a Mike Rupp type guy for the bottom 6. I thought that was a crucial part of the team going forward. I still think that's a crucial part of the team going forward. This bottom 6 needs revamped for us if we're going to have any success. Sure they aren't going to score us the goals we need to win, but they are just as important as the guys who do put the pucks in the net. A shift disturbing 4th liner who can change momentum of a game is really the number 1 thing this team needs. Everything else is in place.

ABSOLUTELY!

I caught some **** last season for suggesting Rupp might be worth looking into, go figure.

As far as momentum changing, Talbot also contributed a lot of clutch goals that we never replaced. For that matter, many of Staal's goals were 'clutch' also. I think this contributed to the feeling we had where we never felt like we were out of a game. Hopefully these younger guys can step up in this area.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad