Critique of All Things Leaf- On the Record

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I do, as are opinions. Not sure what you are chasing with this thread, sounds like you need something?
1. Cut and paste my list of Leafs personnel into your own post.
2. Delete my responses in regards to said personnel.
3. Add your own responses.
4. Compare and contrast.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
1. Cut and paste my list of Leafs personnel into your own post.
2. Delete my responses in regards to said personnel.
3. Add your own responses.
4. Compare and contrast.

OK, I guess no one is interested in wasting their time.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Here are my concerns:

1) Line combinations. Load up the top lines instead of dumbing them down for balance.
2) Higher ice time distribution for top players.
3) Power play time distribution. Top unit should get more time.
4) No shortening of bench when down by a goal or two. 4th line should not see the ice when behind on the scoreboard, especially in 3rd periods.
5) Putting 4th line on ice after goals scored (for and against).
6) Poor use of hockey systems to match our talent levels.
7) Players too soft. Don't stand up for one another.
8) Lack of grit across the entire lineup. We need more players that can skate, score, hit, and, throw punches when necessary.
9) Little to no in game adjustments.
10) Lack of time outs being called to settle the players down.
11) Disappointed with Nylander and Matthews new contracts. AAV too high, term too short.
12) Lineup weaknesses seem to be ignored over time. Muzzin like acquisition should have happened in 2017 IMHO.
13) Keeping UFA players as own rentals instead of trading them for futures or to address lineup weaknesses.
14) Losing good players because coach dislikes them.
15) Too much SILENCE from Shanahan and MLSE BoD regarding refereeing!

Last edited:

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Challenging posters and then insulting them when they don't respond will not improve your chances of raising a discussion. WOA!
Yet still no one has enough stones to put it all on the record. No one wants to back up their convictions.

So sad.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Shanny- Jury is out. IMO is leading in the right direction. Grade uncertain on the Dubas hire.
Dubas- Mixed. Think he makes good trades, seems to draft well so far. I think he needs to learn to be a tougher negotiator. I think he falls in love with players he drafted or developed a bit too much.
Babcock- I think he is a good teacher for young players learning to be pros. Needs more time with a deep lineup and he is barely there. The lack of a championship caliber defense is on Shanny, Lou and KD not on Babs. Not every club jumps to a Cup as quickly as Q's Hawks. Trotz was criticized for being too defensively oriented to get his Preds over the hump. Its the lineup way more than the coach. If they aren't a wrecking machine by next year's playoffs I will be calling for his head of course but it seems like people here have forgotten some of the genuinely awful coaches we have had.

Matthews- great player. Needs to bring it every night though. I am disappointed that he didn't give a "hometown discount". Future anchor o the team.
Tavares- What can you say? Ultimate pro, for the most part brings it night in and night out. Should be the Captain right now.
Marner- Our Kane. Hope he gives a hometown discount. Hope he remains a Leaf for years to come.
Nylander- Willie the same as Matthews. Needs to bring it every night. Now that he's signed the big contract he needs to produce. No moral victories.
Kappy- Love Kappy. Speed to burn, wish he had a little more finish and playmaking ability. Probably a cap casualty. Don't want that. Keeper.
Johnsson- Natural scorer. A little fragile. Love his compete. Likely cap casualty.
Marleau- Over the hill and far away.
Hyman- Man what a motor. A support guy anyone would want on their team.
Kadri- Needs to get back to his pesty self. Needs a purpose. Not a guy you get rid of right now.
Brown- Know he's loved by local fans but really brings nothing an ELC/cheap vet player would bring.
Goat- Replaceable. Would like more physicality out of the big guy.
Lindholm- Why are we wasting a roster spot?
Ennis- Good cheap vet add. Shows goal scoring ability and pops one once in a while. I would resign him next year.

Reilly- Great offensive D. Wish he was more physical. I'll keep him.
Hainsey- Great soldier past his prime. Can't keep playing him big minutes. Would like to keep him in a third pair role, but unfortunately Dubas will have to take away one of Babcock's toys.
Muzzin- Seems like a good pickup, but seems a little slow.Give him a full time partner and quit dicking around Babs
Gardiner- What can I say? Can't deal with the soft play and the brain farts anymore. Will be overpaid on the open market. He gone.
Zaitsev- Not as down on him as others. Maybe him and Muzzin will be a better pairing. Needs to use his skating ability more.
Dermott- D man of the future. Seems a bit frenetic at times. Keeper for sure.

EDIT: Forgot the goalies!

Freddy- If he can be consistent we will win. A lot.
Sparks- Not very confident.

An uninjured Matthews and Willie from the beginning of the year and this club is 5 wins better easily.

Do I still have balls if I am basically agreeing with you? This stuff isn't a hot take, most of it is obvious.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Yet still no one has enough stones to put it all on the record. No one wants to back up their convictions.

So sad.

Go figure, I can't imagine why no one wants respond to your thread. :sarcasm:

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Shanny- Jury is out. IMO is leading in the right direction. Grade uncertain on the Dubas hire.
Dubas- Mixed. Think he makes good trades, seems to draft well so far. I think he needs to learn to be a tougher negotiator. I think he falls in love with players he drafted or developed a bit too much.
Babcock- I think he is a good teacher for young players learning to be pros. Needs more time with a deep lineup and he is barely there. The lack of a championship caliber defense is on Shanny, Lou and KD not on Babs. Not every club jumps to a Cup as quickly as Q's Hawks. Trotz was criticized for being too defensively oriented to get his Preds over the hump. Its the lineup way more than the coach. If they aren't a wrecking machine by next year's playoffs I will be calling for his head of course but it seems like people here have forgotten some of the genuinely awful coaches we have had.

Matthews- great player. Needs to bring it every night though. I am disappointed that he didn't give a "hometown discount". Future anchor o the team.
Tavares- What can you say? Ultimate pro, for the most part brings it night in and night out. Should be the Captain right now.
Marner- Our Kane. Hope he gives a hometown discount. Hope he remains a Leaf for years to come.
Nylander- Willie the same as Matthews. Needs to bring it every night. Now that he's signed the big contract he needs to produce. No moral victories.
Kappy- Love Kappy. Speed to burn, wish he had a little more finish and playmaking ability. Probably a cap casualty. Don't want that. Keeper.
Johnsson- Natural scorer. A little fragile. Love his compete. Likely cap casualty.
Marleau- Over the hill and far away.
Hyman- Man what a motor. A support guy anyone would want on their team.
Kadri- Needs to get back to his pesty self. Needs a purpose. Not a guy you get rid of right now.
Brown- Know he's loved by local fans but really brings nothing an ELC/cheap vet player would bring.
Goat- Replaceable. Would like more physicality out of the big guy.
Lindholm- Why are we wasting a roster spot?
Ennis- Good cheap vet add. Shows goal scoring ability and pops one once in a while. I would resign him next year.

Reilly- Great offensive D. Wish he was more physical. I'll keep him.
Hainsey- Great soldier past his prime. Can't keep playing him big minutes. Would like to keep him in a third pair role, but unfortunately Dubas will have to take away one of Babcock's toys.
Muzzin- Seems like a good pickup, but seems a little slow.Give him a full time partner and quit dicking around Babs
Gardiner- What can I say? Can't deal with the soft play and the brain farts anymore. Will be overpaid on the open market. He gone.
Zaitsev- Not as down on him as others. Maybe him and Muzzin will be a better pairing. Needs to use his skating ability more.
Dermott- D man of the future. Seems a bit frenetic at times. Keeper for sure.

EDIT: Forgot the goalies!

Freddy- If he can be consistent we will win. A lot.
Sparks- Not very confident.

An uninjured Matthews and Willie from the beginning of the year and this club is 5 wins better easily.

Do I still have balls if I am basically agreeing with you? This stuff isn't a hot take, most of it is obvious.
Agreement is fine. Disagreement is fine. Thanks for respecting the premise of the thread. I don't know why others are afraid to do so.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'll tell you what bugs me a bit but it is only an impression. Feel free to disagree.
There are 3 players that while skilled, can sometimes suck the oxygen off the rest of the team on the PP and I'm not sure if it is coaching or individual player habit. JT, AM & Rielly. These guys often shoot at the net when the lanes are clogged instead of setting up a pass for another player to score. Does Marner not shoot by design or does he need to be pushed harder to shoot? I don't know the answer but there is an obvious problem.
I first noticed it with Rielly when he was on a scoring tear. When he slowed down, he was taking shots that were low probability. Matthews started to do the same thing followed by Tavares, where many of the PP rallies died at the end of his crowded shot attempt.
All 3 of these guys are great at controlling the puck but the team needs more scoring options.
I think that Marner spoils some of these players because he does a good job keeping the puck in the ozone. One possibility is that Marner might not have the confidence to shoot in the presence of these scoring juggernauts.
My solution is that Marner gets challenged to shoot more and failing that, gets moved to the other PP unit. It will end the cycle of dependency because guaranteed, the other guys will get less scoring opportunities unless they change their ways. Marner will feel he needs to do something differently if his unit plans on scoring more.
Swap Marner for Willy (who isn't shy to shoot). Maybe Kadri for Johnsson as well. Marner had great success on the PP with Kadri last year and maybe it will spark something. PP can't get much worse than it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad