Crimson Tide Track Locations to Keep Students at Games

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Saban, the Alabama football coach, has long been peeved that the student section at Bryant-Denny Stadium empties early. So this season, the university is rewarding students who attend games — and stay until the fourth quarter — with an alluring prize: improved access to tickets to the SEC championship game and to the College Football Playoff semifinals and championship game, which Alabama is trying to reach for the fifth consecutive season.
But to do this, Alabama is taking an extraordinary, Orwellian step: using location-tracking technology from students’ phones to see who skips out and who stays.
Alabama isn’t the only college tapping into student data; the University of North Carolina uses location-tracking technology to see whether its football players and other athletes are in class.
The Tide Loyalty Points program works like this: Students, who typically pay about $10 for home tickets, download the app and earn 100 points for attending a home game and an additional 250 for staying until the fourth quarter. Those points augment ones they garner mostly from progress they have made toward their degrees — 100 points per credit hour. (A regular load would be 15 credits per semester, or 1,500 points.)

Orwellabama? Crimson Tide Track Locations to Keep Students at Games

Surprised took so long for such exploitation of fan personal data. Tracking athletes? At least fans get "rewards".

Get root on your device, spoof location.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Why are students leaving?

To miss the crazy traffic after the game? Because the play is bad (and the team is way behind)? Other activities scheduled (too close to end of game; or is it a drowning of sorrows party that some need to leave early to get the final set up and start)?

Other than the reward, is there something that can be done to improve game presentation to keep fans around? (How much $$ is the school/team willing to spend? How much change can be tolerated by the alumni?)

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
They're usually blowing out the **** teams they schedule by 60, so why stay? The outcome isn't in doubt. No starters will be playing and both teams will just be running out the clock.
I've never been to one of these 100k+ capacity stadiums but it's gonna be a nightmare getting out of there after a game, right?

I am skeptical that the reward (better seats for future games) would be worth the hassle for people if they are leaving the game early.

Or if you are getting access to really good seats (that students probably can't afford anyways)? If that's the case, I hope the students game the shit out of the system (aka Ticketmaster-ing) for their own gain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad