Crazy talk time: Pettersson and Miller fluently swap positions

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Call me crazy, bored or both, but if I was a Canucks coach, I would actually start thinking about mixing Pettersson and Miller in their positions at even strength. Sometimes Miller is the center, sometimes Pettersson is. The problem with Pettersson taking such defensive responsibility is you never see him on oddman rushes and breakaways, to take advantage of his great skating and speed. If he could sometimes play wing and Miller being center, that could happen much more frequently. Miller is no slouch defensively either, so... giving Pettersson more shooting opportunities in a game is a good thing, right? His shot is goddamn divine, why not try to increase the ammunition?

Miller's and Pettersson's chemistry could be used as a coaching strategy. They could even switch roles in the middle of a shift if they're up for it and can communicate. They've both played winger and center. The dynamics of the entire line would change with the position swap. More offensive or more defensive? Solid or really in need of a goal? Need of a goal? Play Pettersson at wing and let him try to cherry pick if he can.

He's the guy you want in a breakaway or oddman rush, among a very small group of players in the NHL if you need a goal.
In all of these regular discussions; how about discussing something basically unheard of? Call me crazy, bored or both, but if I was a Canucks coach, I would actually start thinking about mixing Pettersson and Miller in their positions at even strength.

Sometimes Miller is the center, sometimes Pettersson is. The problem with Pettersson taking such defensive responsibility is you never see him on oddman rushes and breakaways anymore, to take advantage of his great skating and speed. And his shot. And his passing. And... you get the idea.

If he could sometimes play wing and Miller being center, that should probably happen much more frequently. Miller is no slouch defensively either and he has also played center in his career, so... giving Pettersson more shooting opportunities in a game is a good thing, right? His shot is goddamn divine, why not try to increase the ammunition?

A big upside is that line would be a nightmare to prepare for, when you're the opponent. How do they play when Pettersson is a winger instead of a center? And will they read what position he has before bad things happen to them? Miller takes the faceoff all the times because he's so goddamn good at it, then what? Where do they position themselves after?

Miller's and Pettersson's chemistry could be used as a coaching strategy. They could even switch roles in the middle of a shift if they're up for it, can communicate and feel comfortable in it. Imagine the havoc if it works. So, they've both played winger and center. The dynamics of the entire line would change with the position swap. Do you want to be solid or do you want a goal? Do you want a goal, you play Pettersson at wing and let him try to even cherry pick if he can if it's really problematic.

He's the guy you want in a breakaway or oddman rush, among a very small group of players in the NHL if you need a goal. He's absolutely great at center, but he's somewhat wasted at even strength in his true offensive potential.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
You’re crazy

but no thanks why fix something that isn’t broken
Because it can potentially enhance the capability of the team? If "not broken" is a stale struggle which every opponent can abuse at even strength and know inside out before the puck is even dropped, is it good enough? Considering the responsibilities the top players have on this team, do you think you can just roll along and expect to win it all?

It's not exactly a secret that Vancouver is a team heavily reliant on the PP ability. Isn't that a problem? When your goalie is considered your MVP, it IS broken. On a good team he's MAYBE a Conn Smythe candidate, on a deeply flawed team he wins it, every time. Which team do you think the Canucks resemble?

Why is it such an outrageous proposal in hockey to have players switch positions in a game, if both know the position? They always play a role on a team. Do you think they're dumb enough to be uncapable to have two roles in their heads? Pettersson is an alien and Miller is a seasoned veteran. Other sports do so regularly. It's not rocket science.

Even from a coaching standpoint, I would encourage players at a young age to try different positions, to get a bigger understanding of the game.

It's unheard of, so it's impossible? Really? I'd say this will absolutely happen in the future of the development of hockey. Switching positions and switching strategies more often. I find it incredible how stale hockey is in these approaches.

The switch will be much tougher to handle for the opponent, every time, if the team making the switch has practiced it more. And yes, I might still be crazy, but at least I give something new to ponder about.

Last edited:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I agree Miller is no slouch defensively, but he lacks the speed and on ice awareness that Pettersson has. I’d rather have a responsible top line center than a cherry picking winger. Pettersson is only in his second season and his two way game is developing well so I don’t see any reason to mess around with it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's obvious that Green completely befuddled the Blues with his drastic shakeup of the lines. I wonder if he can pull another rabbit out the hat in this one? Believe the Canucks are officially 'the home team' for this game, so he gets the last change and the line match-ups he wants.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
While we are at it, could we somehow mix up Eriksson and Ryan O’Reilly? Like, just occasionally switch up their positions/teams? I really see that working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad