Crawford to play Thursday?

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
I saw a report today that CC will be in the net Thursday, based on the morning skate, but he says he feels clear and is ready. Q seemed to think it's not a question he will be in net. Let's hope it's true and he can get his old form back quickly.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If Crow thinks he is ready and doesn't need AHL time, I'll take his word for it. Not like this team is hurting for wins, or going anywhere this year anyway.

Reactions: BK

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I hope he is ready this team needs decent Goaltending as we have not had that thus far that is for damn sure.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Depends on your definition of decent. Ward was bad in his first few games, and played better in the last couple. This team needs a #1G, not a what should be-depth goalie.

Agreed. Cam had a stretch of good performances... But all signs point to that not being a consistency.

What we need is Crawford. Crawford that is at least 80% of what we're used to seeing. Ward is not the answer, nor has he been anything much more than decent, considering his performance since joining this team.

He is a decent backup, and he has served his purpose of keeping us in the game while we've been without a #1 goaltender. But ultimately, we can't rely on purely outscoring the opponent... I can't accept that Cam had given us much more than that.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
You can't even admit that the goaltending has been "decent". Come off it! Ward has been better than decent. Have you watched the games or are you looking at the stat sheet?

ward has not put together a decent 60 minutes yet.
he is not consistent at all, he has stretches of being good but that does not last and he is nothing more than a backup and even at that I would not use the word decent or capable to describe his play.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't have a problem with no ahl games. There's going to be an adjustment to the NHL level weather you play a few games in the A or not.

Either he's healthy enough to play or he isn't.

Home against the yotes is as soft as a landing as you'll find.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
be interesting to see if he is a bit quicker as it seems like he lost considerable weight at least it looked that way this summer.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Their NHL team is AHL caliber but their front office is all world. Just ask the mainboard.

The main board is 70% trash. There's some very intelligent and respectable posters that you can carry an argument with... But mostly it's insults and belittling of your opinion. I wouldn't worry about main board consensus.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
ward has not put together a decent 60 minutes yet.
he is not consistent at all, he has stretches of being good
but that does not last and he is nothing more than a backup and even at that I would not use the word decent or capable to describe his play.

Right .................. as he and others lower the bar. :)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Right .................. as he and others lower the bar. :)

Bobby, I have to agree, and I rarely agree with featherhawk on anything. He has put together solid periods, but not a complete game of good. He has been about average most the time, and below average at times, and also made some exception/great saves at times. This team needs above average goaltending at all times to be a playoff team right now, and Ward isn't providing that. I won't say he has been awful all the time, because he hasn't. But he's not a good goalie. We'll see how he handles the backup role.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Bobby, I have to agree, and I rarely agree with featherhawk on anything. He has put together solid periods, but not a complete game of good. He has been about average most the time, and below average at times, and also made some exception/great saves at times. This team needs above average goaltending at all times to be a playoff team right now, and Ward isn't providing that. I won't say he has been awful all the time, because he hasn't. But he's not a good goalie. We'll see how he handles the backup role.

I think you folks are forgetting just how many grade A chances this Chicago team has given up since the 2018 season began (in every game). Ward is undefeated in regulation time and a lot of that is due to making the key saves when needed the most. Ward hasn't been perfect by any means but in the 5 games to begin he hasn't let in any true softies either. If Crawford can match that I'll be ecstatic but one thing is for certain in my mind: If Hawks don't tighten up their play without the puck no goalie is going to save this season.

Flahawkfan

Apr 24, 2017
The Hawks are winning, but the goaltending is crap? It's worse than last year right? Proof is right here in the stat sheet as Cam Ward has a .879 Save percentage and a 4.07 goals against. These numbers are worse than every goaltender we had on the roster last year and I would still take Ward over each and every one of them (except Crawford). With a straight face please share which of these goalies would be better in net for the Hawks?

Forsberg - .908 2.97 gaa
Jeff Glass - .898 3.36
jf Berube - .894 3.78
Colin Delia .889 3.96

*last year and this year combined for Hawks.

If you are looking at save % as THE measure then review a few of these:

Matt Murray .831
Jonathon Bernier .833
S. Bobrovsky .860
Calvin Pickard .868
M. Subban .871
P Mrazek .874
B. Elliott .874
Tuukka Rask .875
Jake Allen .877
Martin Jones .880
P Grubauer .882 (1 game)
J. howard .883
j. Reimer .885
A. Niemi .893
C. Talbot .895
M-A Fluery .896
B. Holtby.898
F. Andersen .899

My argument is the Hawks have been in every game. That's what you want from your backup goalie. We have been spoiled by watching the Raanta's and Darling's play at a very high level and then be scooped up as soon as their contract expires. We got the guy at the end of his career now, and if he keeps us in games, that's all we should be asking. Its funny on how we complain about the guy on our roster and how bad he sucks, but how many of the suggestions that each of you wanted as a backup goalie are on the list above? Bernier, Pickard, Subban, Mrazek, Grubauer, even Niemi ring any bells?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
With a straight face please share which of these goalies would be better in net for the Hawks?

Forsberg - .908 2.97 gaa
Jeff Glass - .898 3.36
jf Berube - .894 3.78
Colin Delia .889 3.96

*last year and this year combined for Hawks.

If you are looking at save % as THE measure then review a few of these:

Matt Murray .831
Jonathon Bernier .833
S. Bobrovsky .860
Calvin Pickard .868
M. Subban .871
P Mrazek .874
B. Elliott .874
Tuukka Rask .875
Jake Allen .877
Martin Jones .880
P Grubauer .882 (1 game)
J. howard .883
j. Reimer .885
A. Niemi .893
C. Talbot .895
M-A Fluery .896
B. Holtby.898
F. Andersen .899

My argument is the Hawks have been in every game. That's what you want from your backup goalie. We have been spoiled by watching the Raanta's and Darling's play at a very high level and then be scooped up as soon as their contract expires. We got the guy at the end of his career now, and if he keeps us in games, that's all we should be asking. Its funny on how we complain about the guy on our roster and how bad he sucks, but how many of the suggestions that each of you wanted as a backup goalie are on the list above? Bernier, Pickard, Subban, Mrazek, Grubauer, even Niemi ring any bells?
Forsberg would be better IMO.

The Hawks have only been in evcery game because our offense is clicking right now. How many games would the Hawks be in if it wasn't?
Yes, when the backup is in, its nice to just be in the game, but it's also nice to have a goalie that can win you a game by himself every once in a while. Which is why a lot of people are excited to get Crow back. None of the goalies above were really wanted here, as the majority of them were already signed. Bernier had too many years, Pickard sucks, Subban wasn't available, Mrazek sucks, Grubauer wasn't an option, and Niemi sucks.

Not to mention, Cam Ward has sucked for years upon years, not just the 5 games he has played this year.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think you folks are forgetting just how many grade A chances this Chicago team has given up since the 2018 season began (in every game). Ward is undefeated in regulation time and a lot of that is due to making the key saves when needed the most. Ward hasn't been perfect by any means but in the 5 games to begin he hasn't let in any true softies either. If Crawford can match that I'll be ecstatic but one thing is for certain in my mind: If Hawks don't tighten up their play without the puck no goalie is going to save this season.

I'm not. If you read my post, I give credit for making those great saves when needed. I said he has made some exceptional/great saves(but misspelled exceptional lol). And I have to disagree that he hasn't let in any true softies. He's let in a couple that were just easy saves. At least one went under his arm between his body and his glove arm. That's a soft goal by any definition. You can't let those in. But you're not wrong. Their play in their own zone has to be better, not just without the puck, but with it also. Their dzone play has been disgustingly bad whether they've had the puck or not.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Forsberg would be better IMO.

The Hawks have only been in evcery game because our offense is clicking right now. How many games would the Hawks be in if it wasn't?
Yes, when the backup is in, its nice to just be in the game, but it's also nice to have a goalie that can win you a game by himself every once in a while. Which is why a lot of people are excited to get Crow back. None of the goalies above were really wanted here, as the majority of them were already signed. Bernier had too many years, Pickard sucks, Subban wasn't available, Mrazek sucks, Grubauer wasn't an option, and Niemi sucks.

Not to mention, Cam Ward has sucked for years upon years, not just the 5 games he has played this year.

LOL. Sure are a lot of goalies who suck in this league huh?

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
How many points do the Hawks have with Ward in the net? I really don't care if his GAA is 100. If he gets points and the team wins who cares. The games have been exciting to watch. Too many complainers on this site!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad