NFL: Crater for Caleb, Bad play for Maye - Bears clinch #1 pick via Panthers and rest of order set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
UPDATED after the 1 PM games according to tankathon, which calculates the SOS after every game:

#1 CHI (via CAR) 0-5
#2 CHI 1-4
#3 NE 1-4
#4 NYG 1-4

We have a battle of 1-3 teams in Arizona and another one in Denver. The winners of those 2 games will probably be out of the running for Caleb.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
If Fields becomes the guy in Chicago, holy moly imagine the possible return the Bears could get from what will probably be the #1 pick.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Fields becomes the guy in Chicago, holy moly imagine the possible return the Bears could get from what will probably be the #1 pick.

Would still make the pick

That’s a nice new window to build

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
UPDATED after the 1 PM games according to tankathon, which calculates the SOS after every game:

#1 CHI (via CAR) 0-5
#2 CHI 1-4
#3 NE 1-4
#4 NYG 1-4

We have a battle of 1-3 teams in Arizona and another one in Denver. The winners of those 2 games will probably be out of the running for Caleb.

I don't know that a 2 game lead with 3/4 of the season left is insurmountable

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

#1 CHI (via CAR) 0-5
#2 CHI 1-4
#3 NE 1-4
#4 NYG 1-4

Bears top 2 picks. Top 2 busts incoming.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Yep.

As for the 2 game lead comment...if you are a team with 2 wins already, chances are strong you will win again. It may take 2-15 to land Caleb.

Didn't you also have the Phillies buried in mid May? It is ok to be a little more patient

The Bears were 3-4 last year after 7 games and the Texans were 1-5-1, there was even less season left at that point

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I am liking J.J. McCarthy if Bears go QB in this year's draft

The more I see of him the more I like him

Naturally they would trade down and pick him because he isn't a top 5 or even top 10 pick IMO

I see him going somewhere in teens

Reactions: stats1

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

Naturally they would trade down and pick him because he isn't a top 5 or even top 10 pick IMO

Is there anything in particular that concerns you about Caleb Williams? Shed some light please. Maybe take us out of the dark.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
unless fields suddenly puts up an MVP caliber season, i can't envision them sticking with him over williams

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Is there anything in particular that concerns you about Caleb Williams? Shed some light please. Maybe take us out of the dark.

I like some of the other talent at top of draft over taking another QB that high

Harrison and one of Verse/Turner potentially with picks

The Bears absolutely need to address pass rusher in draft this year. Our D is pitiful at getting to QB

stats1

Jul 22, 2022

I’m with you. JJ has everything you want in a QB. Size, strong arm, mobile, he plays a pro style system at Michigan, I think he’s not getting enough coverage from the media which I can understand to a certain degree. This draft is loaded with QB’s. The Bears could probably trade down to 7-10 and get more picks and take JJ.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m with you. JJ has everything you want in a QB. Size, strong arm, mobile, he plays a pro style system at Michigan, I think he’s not getting enough coverage from the media which I can understand to a certain degree. This draft is loaded with QB’s. The Bears could probably trade down to 7-10 and get more picks and take JJ.
Loaded doesn't equate to top end talent. Most of the names mentioned like Ewers, Nix, Pennix JR, McCarthy, etc. you're probably looking at Cousins, Carr, Jimmy, Dak, Tanny, etc. in the 11-16 range of QBs overall in the NFL. Have to be realistic here. But, if those kids quickly figure it out like Dak did when he arrived and Purdy has done, it allows you to pay a few to several million a year for the QB position vs the $35 million plus that these vets command. Which helps you to add to your roster to help and take pressure off the QB.

Pick #20 this year signed 4 years at $14.5 mill total. That's under $4.5 mill per. Pick #9 was Carter and he got $21.8 mill over 4, years so $5.5 mill per. That's the key. Low salary for the QB who gets it quickly in the NFL and hits his lower ceiling, allowing you to build the rest of the roster.

If you are lucky and you get a Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Allen, Jackson, etc. level of play on their rookie deal, you've won the lottery. Chances are however, that you won't.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
The Broncos/Pats game on 12/24 could end up being the Nightmare Before Christmas for the winner if both go full tank. Here's the latest order...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Broncos/Pats game on 12/24 could end up being the Nightmare Before Christmas for the winner if both go full tank. Here's the latest order...

Chi and Car play head to head. Denver/Min play as well. Den/NE. Winner of the head to heads, will move down the draft order.

See who sells their vets or guys who need new contracts in the off-season come TDL in like 3 weeks.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Chi and Car play head to head. Denver/Min play as well. Den/NE. Winner of the head to heads, will move down the draft order.

See who sells their vets or guys who need new contracts in the off-season come TDL in like 3 weeks.
As a Pats fan living in Colorado, I never thought I'd see the day where I actually want the Broncos to win.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Its becoming clear Jones is not answer in NE
He's also not winning any fans in the NE front office and coaching staff. He keeps going this way, he's going to wind up as a backup for a young kid or a veteran that they want to have extra insurance on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad