TV: Crashing (Pete Holmes HBO series)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The new HBO series with Holmes playing a version of himself as a struggling stand up comedian. Judd Apatow is directing.

I watched the 1st two episodes last night. I thought they were good and I think the show has some potential. Anyone else watching?

Last edited:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Great show so far, good way to spend a half hour. It avoids going the obvious route and builds the show around a comedian who's a really good (albeit flawed) guy as opposed to one who's cynical/angry/super self-deprecating. A lot of the humor comes from the fact that Pete's a fish out of water and probably way too nice to be a comedian. :laugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not a hard sell since Holmes' persona is the nice guy comic.

I knew him from the Collegehumor Batman parodies that were pretty funny. Didn't watch his talk show though.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Yeah it's definitely a role that comes naturally to him. I first heard him on the Doug Loves Movies podcast and he was bizarre but really funny. I also enjoy his own podcast quite a bit.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not a hard sell since Holmes' persona is the nice guy comic.

I knew him from the Collegehumor Batman parodies that were pretty funny. Didn't watch his talk show though.

I miss his show. Go back and find clips of him interviewing athletes. Doesn't really matter which one, almost all of them are gold. Really any pre-taped interview segments are great.

Great show so far, good way to spend a half hour. It avoids going the obvious route and builds the show around a comedian who's a really good (albeit flawed) guy as opposed to one who's cynical/angry/super self-deprecating. A lot of the humor comes from the fact that Pete's a fish out of water and probably way too nice to be a comedian. :laugh:

Agreed -- that's a great observation.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This has been great so far. I know when a comedian has his own show a lot of people go the route of "he's just copying Louis CK", but I've actually preferred Master on None and Crashing to Louie TBH.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Anyone still watching?

I thought this week with Bill Burr was hysterical, but I'm a huge Burr fan. The shows kinda weird though in that I really don't care about Pete all that much and I'm much more interested in the cameos and guest stars week to week.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I just watched the latest episode. I like Pete and his character. He is so quirky and straight everyone is his foil. It is a good setup.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I had no idea this was back on, didn't hear anything about it. I liked the 1st season, will definitely watch the 2nd.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I had no idea this was back on, didn't hear anything about it. I liked the 1st season, will definitely watch the 2nd.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Season 3 going on now. It's nice to be able to watch this after an episode of True Detective. Lightens the mood for sure. Really enjoyed the last episode in the Synagogue. Watched it twice.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Good comfy comedy TV. Getting real stand ups to participate in a very organic and natural way is a really big strength for the show.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This is like the ultimate understated, solid comedy show. Nothing amazing, but it's consistent, funny and enjoyable.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Damn. Nice little show. The very, very end of the episode (final shot) felt a bit odd and rushed so I wonder if they threw that in there in case they got cancelled.

Not a Mulaney fan at all but thought that was a great character he played in he last episode.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Didn't realize that was the last episode of the season already, and series apparently. Bummer.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I enjoyed it, good but not great. I was shocked to see Artie in the finale, even tho I don't think he had any lines.

I think shows about comedians doing stand up comedy got a little over-saturated after Louie. Crashing, Marvelous Ms. Maisel, I'm Dying Up Here, Lady Dynamite, Gaffigan show. I think MMM is the only one remaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad