Craig Smith

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
monster 3rd season in junior, monster sophmore season at wisconsin, monster IIHF tourney this year.

seems to be a guy that has really grown as a player since his draft.

Here's a month-old article on his history and expectations for him this year: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/predators/2011-08-10-craig-smith_n.htm

A little liberal with the use of the word "monster" I say.

The kid is starting to turn some heads and is looking like a prospect to watch this year whether he's in the NHL or AHL. Lord knows the Preds could use some offensive talent in the system. I wouldn't get too, too hyped over his rookie tournament performance, he's a 22 year old with World Championship experience playing against what is a lot of teenagers and 20 year olds.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Poile and Co. essentially talked him into leaving school, almost unheard of in the context of Predators' development philosophy. He is clearly on the rise and Pred's brass thinks he plays more of a pro game that should translate. Will he make the big team this year-- it isn't unheard of for the Preds (Hartnell, Wilson, Radulov more or less skipped the ahl) but it would be unusual.

If the Preds have a prospect that could come in and pot 20+ goals out of the blue, he is the guy.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
While I agree that we shouldn't be hailing him the next Gretzky because of his performance in rookie games, 7 points (6g - 1a) is a promising sign.

Check out his highlights from yesterday's game against Tampa Bay (4g - 1a). He is wearing #15 in the highlights. His third goal where he protects the puck and beats the defender from the outside was a thing of beauty. He appears to have one hell of a quick release.

http://video.predators.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=739&id=122865&navid=DL|NSH|home

Kershaw

When Barry Trotz (Thanks Danishh for the article) says he's a lock to become an NHLer this year, that is great praise for him.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Only about the third thread about him in the last month, yet people never know who he is!

I love his game. Very underrated.

The Fuhr*

Huge fan of his... I have been pimping him for a while and nobody outside of Pred fans really knows about him

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
David Poile described his play in the rookie tournament as the most dominant he's seen in all of his years with the Preds.

With Smith giving up his originally stated intent to go back to school and a good shot at the Hobey, I'd have to think the Preds convinced him that his chances are good in terms of making the team.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
I remember reading Max Giese (x-sharkie) draft preview and he was hyping this kid . That was back in 2007 and Smith went undrafted in 07 & 08 and finaly got pick in 2009 and look at him now.

big props to Max on this one

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
23 points in USHL in his draft year? Drafted 2 months before his 20th birthday?
Must be really late late bloomer.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
23 points in USHL in his draft year? Drafted 2 months before his 20th birthday?
Must be really late late bloomer.

he definitely was. he had a "pretty good" freshman season at Wisconsin playing on a line with Blake Geoffrion, but then exploded last season. Paul Fenton and David Poile used their connections with Team USA to get him on the World Championships roster, basically to the response of, "Uh, who? Why?", but by the end of the tournament he was on the first line and tied for the scoring lead on the team. Fenton has said that the "Who?" questions turned into "Who's THAT?" and "Where did you find this kid?"

It's been a while(really since Radulov) that we had such an offensively gifted prospect to look forward to. Between Smith and Taylor Beck, we're more optimistic than we have been in a while.

FlyLife

Nuthin but a G Thang
May 23, 2008
Livin the High Life
Alright, so Smith has made the team and will be on a line with Wilson and Legwand. What are expectations for this kid?

He likes to shoot the puck, and with Wilson looking very good in preseason, is it possible for 20-30 goals from Smith if he gets a full season? 40-50 points? Sleeper Calder candidate?

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Alright, so Smith has made the team and will be on a line with Wilson and Legwand. What are expectations for this kid?

He likes to shoot the puck, and with Wilson looking very good in preseason, is it possible for 20-30 goals from Smith if he gets a full season? 40-50 points? Sleeper Calder candidate?

All of that...he's being given about the best chance to succeed that's possible with Nashville's forward situation.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

i think all of that is a good possibility. He shoots the puck like crazy, he can make plays, and he skates like the wind. If Trotz doesn't "rookie treatment" him, he is in a very good position to succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad