Craig Smith

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Is he finally becoming the player we saw in the World Championships a couple of years ago? He is now the 20th player in franchise history with atleast 20 goals in a season. Not only that, he is getting lots of close calls and almost goals from what I'm seeing. Would you now label him as untouchable because I would.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I don't really consider anyone untouchable. It would take a king's ransom to get the team to move Rinne or Weber, true, but if the Penguins offered Malkin and a couple of firsts for one of them (for an example of an obvious overpayment)...

I think Smith is a productive forward and is really finding his game, and I'm interesting in seeing how he continues to develop. In particular I really like him and Wilson playing together. I think the two of them could be very good for each other on the ice. Wilson can get the puck to Smith, and Smith can score. But I wouldn't call them untouchable.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I hope he can stay a consistent 25/45 player. He'd be a very welcome presence on our top-6 for a long time if that's the case.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Obviously the key is whether he can do it again year after year. If so, Poile has found a gem in the 4th round.

Last edited by a moderator:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If he plays like he did last night he could turn in to a Marian Hossa type player. He was that good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Personally think the best thing they can do is put Smith and Wilson on a line together and leave them, see if they can get something going long term. Not sure who you put with them, probably someone to get down and get dirty.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Personally think the best thing they can do is put Smith and Wilson on a line together and leave them, see if they can get something going long term. Not sure who you put with them, probably someone to get down and get dirty.

aka hornqvist but his feet speed could hinder that line. maybe someone fast like bourque to bring grit and he has decents hands

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Spaling could work too. He's been hanging in the slot a lot lately getting tips, just like Housley has been preaching.

wentz22

Nov 21, 2013
aka hornqvist but his feet speed could hinder that line. maybe someone fast like bourque to bring grit and he has decents hands

Is it bad that I picture Hornqvist as more of a 3rd line winger with PP time, rather that a top 6 forward. His foot speed just kills it for me, He could have so many open looks but his foot speed just doesn't allow him to break away from his man.

Staying on topic. If Smith/Wilson can continue to produce points I could see us running with them on our first line next year. I know Wilson isn't a #1C but he's the best we have baring a summer signing of Statsny or any Centre.

I personally think our Left side needs the most work. Maybe someone like Moulson should be our prime target this summer.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Is it bad that I picture Hornqvist as more of a 3rd line winger with PP time, rather that a top 6 forward. His foot speed just kills it for me, He could have so many open looks but his foot speed just doesn't allow him to break away from his man.

Staying on topic. If Smith/Wilson can continue to produce points I could see us running with them on our first line next year. I know Wilson isn't a #1C but he's the best we have baring a summer signing of Statsny or any Centre.

I personally think our Left side needs the most work. Maybe someone like Moulson should be our prime target this summer.

No i think horny has no business in the top 6. He stands in front of the net and works hard infront of it. Perfect 3rd line and PP player

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
No i think horny has no business in the top 6. He stands in front of the net and works hard infront of it. Perfect 3rd line and PP player
With the right players, I think he's a complementary top 6-er. But it needs to be 2 guys with great puck control skills who can dictate the flow. The same could be said of Smith, maybe to a slightly lesser degree.

We happen to be very short on those guys and have been for years.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I think he's been great and I've been a Smith Bandwagoner for a while. I agree with Enoch; 20-30 / 20-30 would be great, though I do think he can do better.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
He still needs to work on his D; he still gets into periods where he's reaching, not moving feet, etc. Happens to everyone occasionally, but still too often to Smitty (and Willy). However, when virtually an entire team looked either gassed or beatdown last night, he was still out working the forecheck hard, back checking, and generally hustling. Wish he was a little stronger on the boards, but I guess he's about as grown as he's gonna' be.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
He finally has confidence in his game. I thought the biggest reason he has struggled to produce outside of low TOI and poor offensive linemates is that he lacked confidence. He has regained that after a slow start this year, and he is driving his line to multiple scoring chances game in and game out. I expect he will continue to play this way going forward. I'm glad we didn't dump him this off-season, but I must admit, I thought it was inevitable. Smith seemed glued to the 3rd/4th line with the occasional "energy" scratch for Clune/other scrub. I'm glad he forced the issue and matured as a player, whatever the reason, whether it be Trotz, familiarity, natural process of developing, or simply finding his confidence in his own right.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
He finally has confidence in his game. I thought the biggest reason he has struggled to produce outside of low TOI and poor offensive linemates is that he lacked confidence. He has regained that after a slow start this year, and he is driving his line to multiple scoring chances game in and game out. I expect he will continue to play this way going forward. I'm glad we didn't dump him this off-season, but I must admit, I thought it was inevitable. Smith seemed glued to the 3rd/4th line with the occasional "energy" scratch for Clune/other scrub. I'm glad he forced the issue and matured as a player, whatever the reason, whether it be Trotz, familiarity, natural process of developing, or simply finding his confidence in his own right.

This is also proof that you can find your game without being given top linemates.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've been impressed with what I've seen from Smith - what kind of trade return do the folks think the Preds would want in exchange for dealing him?

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
it doesn't really make sense to trade Smith unless its a strict upgrade or an equally offensive gifted center and the other team needs a winger instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00