Craig Cunningham

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
nice to see the Baby Bruins forward tearing it up- did the same last season in late winter early spring, but he has been on fire the past 6 days- hat trick last Sunday, a goal Friday, two yesterday; he's headed for 30 in that league which aint to bad....I know the Bourque comparisons may come up, but stereotypes aren't always fair with no disrespect to CB

thing is when you watch him play the game how the heck can you not like him....

He's undersized but he's not THAT small...he's probably 5'9" legit and average build

He is working with his former WHL (Vancouver Giants that produced Lucic and Kane) teams strength coach Ian Gallagher, the father of the Habs rookie forward, who has worked with Lucic quite a bit; he really had some nice things to say about Cunningham

He most likely will add a few more pounds of muscle in the off season without losing his speed/quickness

I know Caron's a big body and a former first round pick, and his game may be more suited for the NHL, but Cunningham outplayed him down there.

I hope he stays in the system because I think he can play on the bottom 6 and play well- good opportunistic player and fun to watch

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Drafted the same year as Seguin, Spooner and Knight so he gets overshadowed

Topshelf88

Jul 27, 2008
Kid always, always has a good game. I've yet to see him coast at a PB's game this year. Just a solid pro player that should one day be a fixture in someone's bottom 6. Not afraid to finish checks either which is nice.

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
He's gonna be someones glen metropolit.

Unless we completely change the dynamic of our bottom 6, I don't see anywhere for Cunningham on the Bruins.

That said, he's a heck of a player (at least at the AHL level) and certainly could go on to stick somewhere as a bottom 6 along the likes of former P-Bruins Hendricks, Sobotka, Thompson, Nokelainen, etc.

Bottom 6 NHL players are Providence's main export.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Unless we completely change the dynamic of our bottom 6, I don't see anywhere for Cunningham on the Bruins.

That said, he's a heck of a player (at least at the AHL level) and certainly could go on to stick somewhere as a bottom 6 along the likes of former P-Bruins Hendricks, Sobotka, Thompson, Nokelainen, etc.

Bottom 6 NHL players are Providence's main export.

They had Krejci and Marchand in the past half dozen years and Versteeg is borderline second liner. Spooner will be a top 6 in the NHL for years either in Boston or as part of the HF rumor driven Iginla trade

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
They had Krejci and Marchand in the past half dozen years and Versteeg is borderline second liner. Spooner will be a top 6 in the NHL for years either in Boston or as part of the HF rumor driven Iginla trade

No argument here. More just pointing out that we've really seemed to churn out true NHL bottom-6 guys over the years down in Providence... So much so that we've had the luxury of letting most of them go stick on with other teams whom at the time had more of a need for that particular skill set than the Bruins.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
Good to get some fresh info/opinions on guys like this. Thank you!
An old truth comes to mind that I've seen so many times on this board; that competition in camp and during the season is good. Hopefully Cunningham will at least give other guys a fight for whatever spot is open.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I could swear I saw it on Kirks Twitter (cant find it now) that Cunningham would be in the NHL right now if Boston's depth wasn't so good...That's all I need to know about him.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I could swear I saw it on Kirks Twitter (cant find it now) that Cunningham would be in the NHL right now if Boston's depth wasn't so good...That's all I need to know about him.

It makes sense that someone would say that. Next year's training camp is going to have a lot of competition.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006

Kirk had a Cunningham update on the latest Bruins prospect report:

Craig Cunningham is once again reminding everyone why Boston used a top-100 pick on the then 19-year-old in 2010. The former Vancouver Giants captain (who finished his WHL career with the Portland Winterhawks) is as versatile a player you will find at any level. Although not big, he’s a quick skater who brings excellent smarts, soft hands and gritty, two- way ability to the mix. Like most of his club, he struggled to find the back of the net early in the season, but is well on pace to exceed his AHL rookie totals of 20 goals and 36 points.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=656538

Cunningham is also featured in the prospect report in a full article by Carolyn Switaj, including lots of quotes from Cunningham about the P-Bruins success this season and how he fits into the team.

This is worth reading: http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=658971

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I get the feeling that if prospects get moved at the deadline, he's gonna be one of them. Just a gut.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What's your guys opinion on him now, think he'll ever get a chance with the Bruins?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
What's your guys opinion on him now, think he'll ever get a chance with the Bruins?

We don't have great wing prospects hes high enough on the depth chart but who knows our wings at AHL level right now we don't have much pro potential other than the oft traded Kokolachev.

We should need to slot 3-4 super cheap forwards into the lineup in the coming years he might outplay his competition its not stellar.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
We don't have great wing prospects hes high enough on the depth chart but who knows our wings at AHL level right now we don't have much pro potential other than the oft traded Kokolachev.

We should need to slot 3-4 super cheap forwards into the lineup in the coming years he might outplay his competition its not stellar.

He's an interesting player. I didn't really notice anything but the consistant offensive numbers. They stood out. Considering I didn't hear **** about him, I had a feeling the name Chris Bourque would pop up. Sure enough.

If the Bruins wanted to go cheap with a 13th forward, I would think Cunningham is ready to graduate and at least be in the mix. I'd like to see him at least get a look...not a Chris Bourque look...haha...but a look. He's earned it.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He's an interesting player. I didn't really notice anything but the consistant offensive numbers. They stood out. Considering I didn't hear **** about him, I had a feeling the name Chris Bourque would pop up. Sure enough.

If the Bruins wanted to go cheap with a 17th forward, I would think Cunningham is ready to graduate and at least be in the mix. I'd like to see him at least get a look...not a Chris Bourque look...haha...but a look. He's earned it.

Cassidy threw him under the zamboni for whatever reason during Development Camp article on WEEI with DJ Bean saying he was behind others. I guess. But why say it? Cunningham has scored 25 goals each of last two years and never blows out of zone early, plays hard- I like his game. And he does shoot right.

Sweeney didnt mention him so maybe there is something going on, but I think he is better than a journeyman- still young and competes hard, skates well, and seems pretty fearless as far as corners and heavy traffic go.

I hope he didnt read those comments or his family didnt- then again, none of the guys Cassidy said were ahead of him are regular RW's or shoot right.

member 96824

I wish we drafted Gallagher:(

Shoulda listened to Lucic Chia!

A Healthy Kelly*

Cassidy threw him under the zamboni for whatever reason during Development Camp article on WEEI with DJ Bean saying he was behind others. I guess. But why say it? Cunningham has scored 25 goals each of last two years and never blows out of zone early, plays hard- I like his game. And he does shoot right.

Sweeney didnt mention him so maybe there is something going on, but I think he is better than a journeyman- still young and competes hard, skates well, and seems pretty fearless as far as corners and heavy traffic go.

I hope he didnt read those comments or his family didnt- then again, none of the guys Cassidy said were ahead of him are regular RW's or shoot right.

couldn't find article, anyone have link

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I wish we drafted Gallagher:(

Shoulda listened to Lucic Chia!

You are repeating an urban legend, Brad.

I've seen this "reported" before, but it's one of these internet things that takes on a life of its own and then gets repeated on national TV but the funny thing is- no one really has any evidence that this alleged discussion between Milan Lucic and Peter Chiarelli ever took place.

Lucic politicked for Cunningham...that *was* put out by the Bruins at the 2010 draft and makes sense because the two were teammates in Vancouver during the 2006-07 Memorial Cup season. And for the record- the Bruins approached Lucic about Cunningham *because* they knew the two were teammates. While Lucic has worked out with Gallagher because Brendan's dad is Looch's trainer, I think this is a fish story gone amok. Sure, he knew him at the time of the 2010 draft, but unless Lucic himself is on the record as saying "Yeah- I wanted the Bruins to draft Brendan Gallagher too"- and it needs to be from 2010 when the pick was made- I don't believe that he would have been pushing for Gallagher...a guy he *didn't* play with. Even if he liked him, players don't usually vouch for people like that unless they've actually been teammates. Workout buddies is a whole different thing.

The whole- the Bruins had a chance at Gallagher and shoulda listened to Lucic- sounds good when Pierre puts it out during a game, but I've yet to see anything that validates that assertion. What I believe happened is that he heard the story about Cunningham and may have inadvertently crossed the lines and inserted Gallagher. Makes for a more compelling soundbite, but I don't believe it.

member 96824

Interesting. I do remember reading an article this spring about how they seem to be more than just work out buddies, but actually very good friends off the ice....but that also could have formed after its all said and done.

What are you going to spoil next for me Kirk? Santa? :laugh:

I hope to see Cunningham have success. I wonder if we'll see him push for a spot "out of nowhere" ala Nick Johnson last year. Wouldn't be as random as NJ, but everyone seems to immediately point to Fraser, Spooner, Khoklachev.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Interesting. I do remember reading an article this spring about how they seem to be more than just work out buddies, but actually very good friends off the ice....but that also could have formed after its all said and done.

What are you going to spoil next for me Kirk? Santa? :laugh:

I hope to see Cunningham have success. I wonder if we'll see him push for a spot "out of nowhere" ala Nick Johnson last year. Wouldn't be as random as NJ, but everyone seems to immediately point to Fraser, Spooner, Khoklachev.

No, the one about Kreider being a better finisher than Smith...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad