Craig Button's List: Defensemen Dominate the top of '21 Draft

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Will be very interesting how the top 10 shakes out. I’m surprised by Johnson being that low and Edvinsson that high.
Oh god I hope my Devils can grab one of Clarke Power Hughes.
Hopefully it doesn’t go like this list.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
No. Just look at 2018.

he is probably having 2012 nightmares

upload_2021-5-13_9-31-31.png

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Three goalies in the top 32? That's a lot...
Remember, it's a ranking not a mock, so teams' reluctance to take a goalie with a first-round pick shouldn't affect Button's list. I think a good argument can be made for Gaudreau to be a late first-rounder. He's most likely a second-rounder, but Craig must have seen something he liked in Texas to move him up.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If your looking for a Wilson type player, Samuel Helenius is your guy

Take a look at Tyler Boucher’s game tape if you want to see a player comparable to Wilson.

Players are compared every draft to Wilson, and they almost never are similar. Boucher is the most similar I’ve seen since I started following the draft closely in around 2015.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No. Just look at 2018.
That's one defenseman, not top 4 being defensemen.

Because defensemen are so much harder to project than forwards at such an early age, if there are so many of them at the top it means the overall crop must be quite weak.

Quinn Hughes did well yes, I guess case in point is that he wasn't even top ranked and was borderline considered a reach when picked.

I also expect the actual skill order of the players to end up being quite different from their picking order.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

Because defensemen are so much harder to project than forwards at such an early age, if there are so many of them at the top it means the overall crop must be quite weak.

Quinn Hughes did well yes, I guess case in point is that he wasn't even top ranked and was borderline considered a reach when picked.

I also expect the actual skill order of the players to end up being quite different from their picking order.

Really? I had Hughes as the clear cut 3rd overall after he dominated at the Men's World Championship. Everyone thought he was a steal when he was picked by Vancouver.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Really? I had Hughes as the clear cut 3rd overall after he dominated at the Men's World Championship. Everyone thought he was a steal when he was picked by Vancouver.
I don't consider you to be the leading agency on player scouting, no.

McKenzie for example had him behind Bouchard and Dobson.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yup, I used to trash Button's lists but if you go back and look at every year's, he ends up being surprisingly accurate for the most part. I respect what he does and I respect these rankings, no matter how different they are from consensus.

To me, what sticks out most is how high L'Heureux is, and how low Johnson is.

I think it was Buttons last list that someone combined his previous lists (maybe a prospect ranking) as a way to show how bad he was. But when you looked at it the general trend of the list was really good players down to worse players. Yeah there were guys who stuck out as not belonging, but look at how teams draft and the same thing happens. He does a pretty solid job at what he does.

With that being said, I would have a hard time taking L'Heureux over a guy as skilled as Johnson and that played as well as Johnson did as a newcomer to the NCAA from a weaker league.

I’m not touching Edvinsson with any pick in the top 10 or 12

I dont know why Edvinsson gets shit on so hard on here but hes gonna go high and be a solid player. Its like everyone thinks a good dman has to be a Makar or Quinn Hughes to be good.

Edvinsson reminds me of this drafts Seider, except hes not underrated (except on HFboards). He does everything really solid, he wont put up a bunch of points but hes going to munch minutes. I hope the wings land him and can actually pair him with Seider in the future.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I'd feel terrible drafting Bolduc in the top 16. He's the one guy I feel will never be a successful top 6 forward.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

Quinn Hughes was not a reach. I do agree tho with worrying about D in the top part of the draft. For me because most are usually ranked so high because of their size. One of he reasons I had Quinn ranked highly was because he dominated on skill and IQ, not being bigger.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver

Do you have a source for anyone saying Hughes was a reach at 7? Bob's list had him at what, 8 in final rankings? And to me that was too low, which I think a ton of people on here agreed with. Like wintersun, I saw more than a few people ranking him third. The only players who seemed consensus were Dahlin and Svech.

I was pretty certain at the time he wasn't making it past Detroit at 6..

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Hughes played decently in a 6/7D role, he far from dominated, what is this revisionist history lol.

Reactions: newfy

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Hughes played decently in a 6/7D role, he far from dominated, what is this revisionist history lol.

Yes, dominated was a very strong word. But to me, he looked great at that tournament against high-end NHLers, and that was easily enough for me to have him 3rd overall.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I dont know why Edvinsson gets shit on so hard on here but hes gonna go high and be a solid player. Its like everyone thinks a good dman has to be a Makar or Quinn Hughes to be good.

Edvinsson reminds me of this drafts Seider, except hes not underrated (except on HFboards). He does everything really solid, he wont put up a bunch of points but hes going to munch minutes. I hope the wings land him and can actually pair him with Seider in the future.
This.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Never said I was a leading agency lol. Most people here thought Hughes was a top 5 pick.
I think that most had Hughes slightly ahead of Boqvist, Bouchard and Dobson, but I don't think many would have been stunned if any of them went in any order. Hughes and Boqvist were regarded to have the highest ceilings, but also the most risk attached.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Michigan Mock: Button has Power to Sabres; Beniers to Seattle, Johnson a Canuck

He's most likely right about Power and Othmann but other than that I think he could be mostly far off.

No way Beniers and Guenther are gonna go this early and I don't see New Jersey passing up the opportunity to draft another Hughes if he's still there at 4.

It's very possible NJ takes Clarke at 4, but man I feel like they would lean towards Hughes barring them getting some scary news about his foot.

I don't understand why you think that's too high for Beniers. Lots of mocks have him going top 2.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's very possible NJ takes Clarke at 4, but man I feel like they would lean towards Hughes barring them getting some scary news about his foot.

It's possible they take Clarke but I think they're gonna take Hughes if he's still there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad