Craig Button Top 50 NHL Prospects List (Kravtsov #1)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Point totals, or lack thereof can be deceiving. I agree that there's no way he should be this high, but he should be on the list.
I’m not even pointing at his stats, if I were to make a top 50 list he wouldn’t be on it
I don’t really like him as a prospect and I don’t think he can translate to the next level well

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I mean, a month or so ago people had Zadina as the #1 prospect in the NHL.

WJC is heavily weighed here, but its not like Kravtsov dominated the WJC, so he's basing it a lot on his play in the KHL as well. Anway, happy to see 2 NYR prospects in the top 10 as well as Lias top 30. I feel like everyone outside of the Rangers fanbase is still high on Lias lol.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Troy Terry #5 f*** me

I was going to rank him high but now that's no longer a hot take

Reactions: Getz2perry

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I thought I was the only one.
I’m surprised we’re the only ones haha, his most common comparables are Kuznetsov, Nash, Filip Forsberg & Kovalev. Kravtsov loves flashy stickhandling like Kovalev, and is really good at carrying the puck and crashing the net like Nash. But Kravtsov is a much better shooter than Nash, most Kravtsov’s goals this season have came from one-timers. His loose strides & how lanky he looks remind me of Pettersson, as does his vision for playmaking & two-way play; and they both have this deceptive shot where it doesn’t look like they’re putting much weight into it (looks as if stick is barely flexing) but have an insanely quick release. Both were underscouted and didn’t perform much at international level, despite excelling against men rather than playing junior.

Reactions: Acadien86

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Troy Terry #5 **** me

I was going to rank him high but now that's no longer a hot take

If he could gain a few pounds of muscle and not get knocked off puck so easily, he can become a lethal player at nhl level.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I remember a few years back they had Button do a one year re-draft of the 2010 draft and he bumped Taylor Hall down from #1 for his injury-shortened 40+ point season, moved Seguin up to #1 after his 20+ season (But solid NHL playoffs), and rocketed Jarred Tinordi into the top ten off of a 1 goal, 14 point season. And THAT was when I decided to take his prospect rankings with the proverbial grain of salt.

And in case you think I’m making it up, here’s the HF discussion
Craig Button's 2010 re-draft

Reactions: Pyromaniac

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Button usually goes full crazy after International tournaments, so please explain how the hell he leaves off Kurashev?? or Ian Mitchell and Adam Boqvist - what is up Button, Hawks turn you down years ago for a GM job and still hold a grudge?? There is no reason I can fathom on this planet that would lead anyone to put Mikey Anderson over Boqvist and Mitchell...not even Anderson's own mother would do that...Anderson wouldn't even crack my top 20 US prospects let alone top 50 NHL prospects...I always defend Button but wow this one is really really bad.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Pronman also had Terry high (Top 15) in his mid season rankings today. Saying he was “the best player in the AHL” as a rookie.
That was probably the best line in the NCAA since awhile back.
Borgstrom Terry and Gambrell were unstoppable, and they won a national championship out of it.

But why Troy Terry is on this list that high and not Henrik Borgstrom is beyond strange to me.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Saw Pronman’s list first and thought that was pretty bad. This one is way worse.. interesting that both are pretty low on Ty Smith.
I almost spit out my coffee when I saw Pronman gave Owen Tippett a 65 out of 80 on Hockey IQ (remembering his 60 grades for Matthews and MacKinnon just for offense and 55 and 50 for defensive iq). That is just a broken scale. I saw Owen Tippett for 3 and a half years regularly watching the Steelheads.

Then there's just blatantly ignoring Merkley's issues because of flair and numbers.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
possibly true, but he gets paid to do this, most of us do not....the fact that I would have to flip a coin on whether or not posters could make a better list than him speaks volumes. I enjoy his draft rankings much more than when he does this stuff..
The idea that just one person can adequately cover an NHL draft is flawed. Thinking they can cover an entire draft and all drafted prospects is broken. Its a job set-up for failure. They can give a somewhat rational list, but no single list is going to be that informed. Its like people trying to rank the top 400 prospects. It is pretty futile. Putting together a list for a single draft is a collaborative effort that takes multiple people, and they still only rank between 80 and 120.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The idea that just one person can adequately cover an NHL draft is flawed. Thinking they can cover an entire draft and all drafted prospects is broken. Its a job set-up for failure. They can give a somewhat rational list, but no single list is going to be that informed. Its like people trying to rank the top 400 prospects. It is pretty futile. Putting together a list for a single draft is a collaborative effort that takes multiple people, and they still only rank between 80 and 120.
his draft rankings are better than this though which is a shock since these kids are easily more visible to watch than any given draft year.

I usually defend Button but this list is just bad and if he can't put full time and effort into these lists he needs to stop doing them. And we have discussed prior some of his grudges with certain teams players/prospects which is BUSH LEAGUE as is, and here we seem to have it again with the London Knights prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad