Craig Button: Matthews is not even close to Draisaitl right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoastLife

Nov 19, 2018
lol at the people calling Button an idiot / clown ... please let us know when you lock down a job as a NHL executive in your lifetime.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Member of media says something slightly negative about Matthews: "He's a clown and clearly just says dumb things"

Member of the media ranks Matthews highly: "Even the media understands how good Matthews is. I'd take the opinion of these people who are paid to follow hockey over people on a message board"
it's not "slightly negative", it's simply a bad opinion to say Matthews isn't even close to Draisaitl or other top players. This would also make more sense if I've said I liked Button before or said hockey media people always knew what they were talking about, but I haven't. It would even be perfectly reasonable for me to like one media person but not Button. It seems like desperately trying to hold me accountable for things I've never said and makes you look pretty silly

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
I chuckle at how those that actually debate this right now have barely watched Drai play this year. Be real. I’m not talking highlights.

You see Matthews because of the market and the time zone. I’ll leave the opinions that matter to those that actually watch the games.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
it's not "slightly negative", it's simply a bad opinion to say Matthews isn't even close to Draisaitl or other top players. This would also make more sense if I've said I liked Button before or said hockey media people always knew what they were talking about, but I haven't. It would even be perfectly reasonable for me to like one media person but not Button. It seems like desperately trying to hold me accountable for things I've never said and makes you look pretty silly

Matthews hasn’t come close to 50 goals or 100 points. It’s a completely reasonable take.

Reactions: The Worst One

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
Okay but Draisaitl can score as well, is 10x the passer he is plus more dominant defensively.
Totally. Count on Drai to make a defensive play over Matthews any day. 50 goals last year, passes among the league’s elite, and plays the body.

Damn straight he’s a better choice for “overall player”. Right now, as Button et. al suggest.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
it's not "slightly negative", it's simply a bad opinion to say Matthews isn't even close to Draisaitl or other top players.

Bad opinion according to you. Draisaitl is performing at an incredibly high level this season, near the top of the points race. That's following last year, where he was the only player in the entire league to score both 50 goals and 100 points.

The only thing Matthews is comparable to Draisaitl right now is in terms of goal scoring. As an all-around offensive player, there's a legitimate argument that Draisaitl is looking like a better player at this point in time. Just because you disagree with it doesn't make it "bad".

This would also make more sense if I've said I liked Button before or said hockey media people always knew what they were talking about, but I haven't. It seems like desperately trying to hold me accountable for things I've never said and makes you look pretty silly

It was a commentary on Matthews' defenders in general, not you specifically. Seems like when the media ranks him highly (look at the discussion threads about where TSN and Sporting News ranked him), suddenly they're this authority on all things hockey. But when one of their number says something less flattering, suddenly they're blowhards.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Bad opinion according to you. Draisaitl is performing at an incredibly high level this season, near the top of the points race. That's following last year, where he was the only player in the entire league to score both 50 goals and 100 points.

It was a commentary on Matthews' defenders in general, not you specifically. Seems like when the media ranks him highly (look at the discussion threads about where TSN and Sporting News ranked him), suddenly they're this authority on all things hockey. But when one of their number says something less flattering, suddenly they're blowhards.
Why respond to what I said with what other people have said and heavily imply I was responsible for both opinions? Different people can believe different things, even if they cheer for the same hockey team. That shouldn't need to be explained

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I think we know how these things go, right now Draisaitl is better than Matthews IMO. But that could change in the future.
That doesn't mean that Matthews will automatically become better, I mean Draisaitl has done 50/50 and is pace to do even more. It would be hard for Matthews to top that.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don't know if Draisaitl is dominant defensively to any extent, that seems a stretch. He can be but he also looked gassed last game and was letting guys by him.

But Matthews is a cakewalk. Or at least he was for Dubois tonight. I did find this rundown of Matthews' errors, but it doesn't even include the most egregious play of the night. Matthews stops in the neutral zone, lets 4 Jackets blow by him, and turns to go off and change on the backcheck, causing a prolonged 4 on 2. That will get you in trouble on a men's league team.
I can’t comment on the game (glad the Jackets won though) but im always taken back when’s watching Matthews play and where many rank him after watching him play. Great goal scored but not much else, they should try him at wing.

As far as Drai, he plays pk because he is good at getting into lanes and intercepting passes. He is very good defensively. Last game was probably the worst game I’ve ever seen from Draisaitl and McDavid.

Craig Button on Nylander: "He's so much better than Taylor Hall, it's frightening."
He is off his rocker 99% of the time but it doesn’t discredit fact of life. It’s the circ

Totally. Count on Drai to make a defensive play over Matthews any day. 50 goals last year, passes among the league’s elite, and plays the body.

Damn straight he’s a better choice for “overall player”. Right now, as Button et. al suggest.
We watch him every game and because some people watch the Oilers only for McDavid, by proxy they see and realize how good Drai is. People will start to see what we see every game, it’s clear because we don’t have to defend him as much no more. He is simply too good that you are simply a fool if you attempt discredit him now.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
So Matthews is a goal scorer. Draisaitl outscored him last year and came second. To add that Drai had more assists and broke 100 points while Matthews had 73. Until Matthews gets closer it really is a fair take. While Drai also penalty kills. Drai is a much more complete player.

Oct 18, 2011
This is the problem with Mathews playing in Toronto, he is scrutinized positively, and negatively more than any player his age group in the league. This is why he's going to leave in 5 years, so he can just play hockey without all the bullshit involved

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Button stating the obvious. Can’t compare a top 5 player 50 goal 100 pt guy to a 70 pt guy.

Leon is a special player , Matthews is a great talent as well, nota bad thing to be a top 40 player in the world,

Comparing the two, it’s not close.

Reactions: stampedingviking
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad