Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Berube Presser (apologies - missed the opening remarks, will grab once the Leafs upload more than a random 15 second clip on their youtube)

Treliving
  • Character matters - with your team, and with your head coach
  • Likes Berube's leadership, ability to build teams, build a team-first concept, and to connect with players & hold them accountable
  • On building a profile for a new head coach - prioritizing the importance of a team. You need everyone. It's not about a few people, but about the Toronto Maple Leafs. The outside can use all sorts of catchy phrases about the core 4 or 5, but it's about the team. The ability to connect with players. We all talk about accountability, and those are important things, because we are all watching how difficult it is to play and win right now. You have to connect with people, and have a relationship and trust between coach and player. Someone who can command respect, and have a presence. You either have a presence or you don't, and Craig has that presence. When he spoke to people around the game, his ability to teach is important. Former player told him Berube was "quietly brilliant" at teaching.
  • On this team needing motivation - doesn't want "this team needs motivation" to be the takeaway. Praises Keefe, but says it was time for a different delivery and a different voice. Craig comes at it in a different way. Understands that the organization has been at the same spot for a number of years, but you have to keep knocking on the door from every standpoint, including coaching. When they started the process, they were pleased that they had someone of the quality of Craig available. Thinks he's a perfect fit for this group.
  • On importance of goaltending - as part of this process, you go through roster. Craig gives his thoughts, and Brad gives him his thoughts. We go through the process starting today, going through everything including staff and digging into the roster and starting to get to work on that.
  • On where things stand with the roster, including the core and other pieces - haven't gotten to that yet, has spent a lot of time on the coaching search. Amateur scouts are in town, and we are having meetings ahead of the draft. Pro scouting meetings are happening later in the week. We have some really good players and we don't want to lose sight of that, and we will now sit down with Craig and dig into all the other areas including roster construction. Busy summer ahead.

Berube
  • Thanks Brendan and Brad for the honor of being Leafs coach.
  • On what he thinks about the team, speculation for change, and the core - the attraction was the great players here, including the core. Thought that change had already started with how they wanted to be built and play, which comes from Brad already. Says he, Brad, and Brendan are all on the same page - real good players, and how they want to play.
  • On who he has already spoken to - has made contact with most of the team on the phone, and met a few in person. Has felt great support, and is looking forward to working with them.
  • On what needs to be different for playoff success - will bring his own style on how they want to play the game. Brad and Brendan are on baord with how he wants to play the game. All he can do is focus on the now, and going forward, not on the past.
  • On the interest from other teams, and why he picked Toronto - the roster first and foremost, has great players on it. Great opportunity to build a team that can move forrawrd and become something and get over the hump a little bit. Also wants to work with good people - great people beside him include Brendan and Brad, who all agree on how to build the team and how they want to play. On a personal level, a Canadian born kid who has a chance to coach the Toronto Maple Leafs, you have to jump on that.
  • On who has had the greatest influences on him as a coach - when he broke into the league as a player, Paul Holmgren was an assistant coach who became a coach,. Was a real mentor for him, as a new player into the league. Then did the same as a coach, learned a lot from him. John Stevens was his first head coach with the Philadelphia phantoms. Ken Hitchcock was also always available to him when he started coaching in St. Louis. Learned a lot from all those guys - they had a huge impact on him as a player and coach
  • On how he coached against the Leafs - when playing against the Leafs, you focus on the high end talent and being able to shut them down. Being disciplined and not taking penalties helps stay away from their powerplay. There's some great players here that you have to be aware of for sure.
  • On what a Craig Berube team looks like, and how they play hockey - competitive. Don't want to get outworked, ever. All about the team, for me. Everybody is important and everyone has to be used. Everyone has a job and a role. That's a real important aspect. Want to play a north game, and play a heavy team. Not always about running guys through the boards and fighting, as the game has changed. But have to be strong on the puck and win puck battles, and playing as fast as we can, while playing with structure in all 3 zones.
  • On how to hold players accountable - starts with forming a partnership with the players, and making sure both sides understand each other. When you have to hold a player accountable after that, with ice time or whatever the situation is, they understand it more. Communication is huge. One of his strengths is communicating with players, and them knowing where they stand. Accountability is accepted almost, by your players, when you have that partnership.
  • On the importance of goaltending - it's something that Brad, Brendan, and I will discuss moving forward. Not for today.
  • On how the market will handle his bluntness - doesn't really bring it up publicly very often. Thinks he's only done it a few times. Prefers to do it internally with his players and management.
  • On unique challenges of coming to a market like this that hasn't won - understands the new challenges. Gets all of that. Doesn't weigh on his shoulders at all.
  • On plans for the rest of the staff - we have to talk about that. There are coaches here already, and we will discuss that moving forward.

Shanahan
  • On what stands out about Berube - he's a competitor. The more people they dug into and more information they got on Berube, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Things we were hoping for were confirmed, especially by players who have played under him; didn't matter if they were 1st liners or 4th liners, or Canadian or European. Learned a lot of great things through interview process

Notable mention:
Keith Pelley is the tiniest big man I've ever seen - that guy DEFINITELY had a booster seat / pillow / multiple hard cover books under his toosh for his first pressser a few weeks ago

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Meh press conference, nothing of consequence said. However, what's said doesn't matter anyway... what they do during the offseason does.

Reactions: SprDaVE

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
no nonsense guy
I like how he mentioned Hitchcock was a mentor
But time for Brad to get to work and reshape this mess

Reactions: Jmo89

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Berube Presser (apologies - missed the opening remarks, will grab once the Leafs upload more than a random 15 second clip on their youtube)

Treliving
  • Likes Berube's leadership, ability to build teams, build a team-first concept, and to connect with players & hold them accountable
  • On building a profile for a new head coach - prioritizing the importance of a team. You need everyone. It's not about a few people, but about the Toronto Maple Leafs. The outside can use all sorts of catchy phrases about the core 4 or 5, but it's about the team. The ability to connect with players. We all talk about accountability, and those are important things, because we are all watching how difficult it is to play and win right now. You have to connect with people, and have a relationship and trust between coach and player. Someone who can command respect, and have a presence. You either have a presence or you don't, and Craig has that presence. When he spoke to people around the game, his ability to teach is important. Former player told him Berube was "quietly brilliant" at teaching.
  • On this team needing motivation - doesn't want "this team needs motivation" to be the takeaway. Praises Keefe, but says it was time for a different delivery and a different voice. Craig comes at it in a different way. Understands that the organization has been at the same spot for a number of years, but you have to keep knocking on the door from every standpoint, including coaching. When they started the process, they were pleased that they had someone of the quality of Craig available. Thinks he's a perfect fit for this group.
  • On importance of goaltending - as part of this process, you go through roster. Craig gives his thoughts, and Brad gives him his thoughts. We go through the process starting today, going through everything including staff and digging into the roster and starting to get to work on that.
  • On where things stand with the roster, including the core and other pieces - haven't gotten to that yet, has spent a lot of time on the coaching search. Amateur scouts are in town, and we are having meetings ahead of the draft. Pro scouting meetings are happening later in the week. We have some really good players and we don't want to lose sight of that, and we will now sit down with Craig and dig into all the other areas including roster construction. Busy summer ahead.

Berube
  • On what he thinks about the team, speculation for change, and the core - the attraction was the great players here, including the core. Thought that change had already started with how they wanted to be built and play, which comes from Brad already. Says he, Brad, and Brendan are all on the same page - real good players, and how they want to play.
  • On who he has already spoken to - has made contact with most of the team on the phone, and met a few in person. Has felt great support, and is looking forward to working with them.
  • On what needs to be different for playoff success - will bring his own style on how they want to play the game. Brad and Brendan are on baord with how he wants to play the game. All he can do is focus on the now, and going forward, not on the past.
  • On the interest from other teams, and why he picked Toronto - the roster first and foremost, has great players on it. Great opportunity to build a team that can move forrawrd and become something and get over the hump a little bit. Also wants to work with good people - great people beside him include Brendan and Brad, who all agree on how to build the team and how they want to play. On a personal level, a Canadian born kid who has a chance to coach the Toronto Maple Leafs, you have to jump on that.
  • On who has had the greatest influences on him as a coach - when he broke into the league as a player, Paul Holmgren was an assistant coach who became a coach,. Was a real mentor for him, as a new player into the league. Then did the same as a coach, learned a lot from him. John Stevens was his first head coach with the Philadelphia phantoms. Ken Hitchcock was also always available to him when he started coaching in St. Louis. Learned a lot from all those guys - they had a huge impact on him as a player and coach
  • On how he coached against the Leafs - when playing against the Leafs, you focus on the high end talent and being able to shut them down. Being disciplined and not taking penalties helps stay away from their powerplay. There's some great players here that you have to be aware of for sure.
  • On what a Craig Berube team looks like, and how they play hockey - competitive. Don't want to get outworked, ever. All about the team, for me. Everybody is important and everyone has to be used. Everyone has a job and a role. That's a real important aspect. Want to play a north game, and play a heavy team. Not always about running guys through the boards and fighting, as the game has changed. But have to be strong on the puck and win puck battles, and playing as fast as we can, while playing with structure in all 3 zones.
  • On how to hold players accountable - starts with forming a partnership with the players, and making sure both sides understand each other. When you have to hold a player accountable after that, with ice time or whatever the situation is, they understand it more. Communication is huge. One of his strengths is communicating with players, and them knowing where they stand. Accountability is accepted almost, by your players, when you have that partnership.
  • On the importance of goaltending - it's something that Brad, Brendan, and I will discuss moving forward. Not for today.
  • On how the market will handle his bluntness - doesn't really bring it up publicly very often. Thinks he's only done it a few times. Prefers to do it internally with his players and management.
  • On unique challenges of coming to a market like this that hasn't won - understands the new challenges. Gets all of that. Doesn't weigh on his shoulders at all.
  • On plans for the rest of the staff - we have to talk about that. There are coaches here already, and we will discuss that moving forward.

Shanahan
  • On what stands out about Berube - he's a competitor. The more people they dug into and more information they got on Berube, the feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Things we were hoping for were confirmed, especially by players who have played under him; didn't matter if they were 1st liners or 4th liners, or Canadian or European. Learned a lot of great things through interview process

Notable mention:
Keith Pelley is the tiniest big man I've ever seen - that guy DEFINITELY had a booster seat / pillow / multiple hard cover books under his toosh for his first pressser a few weeks ago
Thanks for the recap Tak. Great as always.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Meh press conference, nothing of consequence said. However, what's said doesn't matter anyway... what they do during the offseason does.
1716305616297.jpeg

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Whats to worry about? We can be a lot worse than we are and have no bright spots to talk about in the meantime.

Babcock just mat have been what these guys needed but I'm guessing Babcock was told to make peace.

He took us from 30th to 14th to 7th twice. He did that with teenagers leading the way.

Dont remind me of the negative issue with Marner, I didn't say he was perfect but for sure he was better than Keefe. Yeah I know Keefe was the nicer guy by far. But we've all heard where nice guys finish.
I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

We can't be worse. How can we be worse than the 1st round choker Leafs?

Miss the playoffs? What's the difference at this point.

And Keefe. Let me say this about that guy. I love to throw the F bomb around here and there because language is powerful, especially in managerial role, but when every word out of your mouth is a motivational f-bomb the players are going to tune it out.

Hey, I want the cup in my lifetime, let's hope that Berube and whatever else happens makes a difference.
In the meantime we (me) should probably try and enjoy the beautiful weather and not even think about the Leafs until the leaves start falling.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Was anything said about assistant coaches? anyone he's bringing on?
Berube mentioned that he'd worked with one of them previously. But basically they were going to analyze everything... they can't really talk about who they'd bring on, while people are still employed.

Reactions: HEAVY DUTY

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
It's like anything... Say all the buzzwords you want; results will be next spring.

Results will be similar if the core doesn't change though. Going to be an excruciatingly long off-season.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Team is gonna be playing a heavy game next year. Robertson, Kampf and Liljegren are gone.

Its clear any players who are gonna be brought it, will have some intangibles other then just pure skill. Even the top skilled guys.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Yup. Any any talk about future plans will be extremely vague, no need to tell the rest of the league what he's up to.

I think it's rare for a coach to have a big impact, it's mostly the players. That said, I do feel like Berube might be the right guy at the right time for this team and could help a lot. I feel like he alone won't be able to do enough though, personnel changes are needed as well and moving Marner is still 100% necessary.

I'll never forget Yonge st. the night the Jays won their first title, what a joyous experience that was!

Yeah I get the same vibe. I get it a lot stronger from Marner which is why I'd like to move him but I'm not quite ready to give up on Matthews.
Yeah I was there for both of them. I remember when Carter hit the HR and there were thousands of us outside I think what was then HMV? The big screen outside had the game on.

Anyways when Carter hit it, I swear I was the first person with their arms in the air celebrating. I remember the crowd was silent as it was flying but I just assumed by the trajectory and camera angle that the ball was gone. Of course a couple of seconds later Toronto erupts.

The memories I have from those two wins will never leave me. Guys sitting on the top of lamp posts downtown, how they got up there and didn't fall is unknown to me. There were also many people on the roofs of the stores, surely drinking booze, legs hanging over the rooftops. Guys climbed on top of buses.

The wave of faces one after another, the high fives the hugging and kissing from strangers, I swear some of the faces are still etched in my mind.

Now a Cup would somehow dwarf these crowds and there were more than a million in back to back years in the 90s.

Reactions: Jmo89

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
heck I am interested in what ROR and Schenn said in their exit interviews last year. the writing was on the wall post habs series but certain someone refused to acknowledge it.
The media continually runs the bs storylines as to why people leave and somehow fans buy it.

I know how corporate-speak works so I am a little less willing to believe the words of management. This includes why Dubas was fired. I get the feeling Dubas knew it was time to move one of the core and some refused to allow that to happen. Sure there was the power struggle but why was this struggle there in the first place?

The truth is, as much as I want it to happen, I my heart I know this franchise will not win a Cup in my lifetime. You watch it over 40 years, many have watched it longer and you just see the same patterns, the same moving of chairs on the Titanic and every time they sell you a message similar to what shareholders are told by a CEO.

Hayes created the perfect motto for this team: "I will believe it when I see it". I am going to borrow that and repeat it often.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Treliving

Berube

Shanahan

Notable mention:

Thanks again for transcribing man. The most important part for me was:

"On what a Craig Berube team looks like, and how they play hockey - competitive. Don't want to get outworked, ever. All about the team, for me. Everybody is important and everyone has to be used. Everyone has a job and a role. That's a real important aspect. Want to play a north game, and play a heavy team. Not always about running guys through the boards and fighting, as the game has changed. But have to be strong on the puck and win puck battles, and playing as fast as we can, while playing with structure in all 3 zones."

Now these are words I am really excited about. Lets see these words put into action!!!

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
What's to worry about?

Oh no, we still suck!

That's the worst case scenario, and probably the most likely one to happen.

But absolutely at minimum the perimiter play style has to go, and Marner is the quarterback of that style IMO.

I dont quite understad this perimeter narrative? How did Nylander lead the league a few yrs ago in dirty area goals? did Keefer tell Knies...Bert....and all our "tough guys" to play the perimeter?
We got tougher, supposedly....we got bigger defensively...and slower....and how did that work out?

Im not worried....I just dont get excited about a HC who alot of here think will make players accountable and tougher. Again the narrative is we are soft from this perimeter style. OMG Keefer was preaching it all the time that we need to get in front of the net. Did Berube forget how to make players accountable the years they failed in the playoffs?

How about we deal with getting a playoff goalie? Or some defenceman that are not past their prime and that actually have a high hockey IQ. Big slow defenceman that bounce pucks off the board as their lead pass are dime a dozen.

Im all for replacing Keefer....his time was over here. What happened to Vancouver last night? Was the coach too soft? Did the players play around the perimeter too much? Did they not care enough?

I mean if those same complaints are justified to the leafs.....what about all the other teams that have failed this year. ? Do they somehow get a pass because they won a playoff round and all of a sudden that is a sign of success? All forgiven?

Marner is who he is.....a 90- 100 pt man who has struggled in playoffs like alot of other players. Can we use him as a asset to fill out our roster better? Sure....if he waives .

And why is it that we suck? We have been a constantly a 100 pt team. Enjoy it. One day we will be back to struggling to make playoffs and we will all be talking about how great Mathews and the others were to watch back in the day.

Every team suck that dont win the cup I guess because thats all that really matters. Avs and the Bruins suck too I guess....blow them up. Bruins had a top team for a decade and a half.....have one cup to show for it. They must really suck. :)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad