Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
Some of this, sure. However, these are not teenagers, these are adult men who have had the shyte kicked out of them every playoff run for 8 years. If they need a coach to instill the will and desire to sacrifice, to WIN, there isn't a magic bullet coming.

I recall posting a couple of years ago that Marner will never win a Cup as long as he is a key piece of a team. I don't know the guy, it is just an objective assessment from watching a tonne of hockey in my lifetime.

Playoffs have and will remain a different beast. It is far more about DNA than an All Star Game skills competition.
subjective assessment, but I agree

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm pointing out something we seem very uncomfortable wrestling with: Players we thought were one deficient thing or another, went on to be major contributors elsewhere, and in the two instances noted, Cup winners.

they were major contributors on cup winners... slotted where they needed to be. it always feels like people forget to add this. just because it didn't work here and they won somewhere else, doesn't mean it was wrong to still move along from them because... they weren't working here. and you'd think that one day - ideally, we'd get players [from wherever] it would work the same way but it doesn't.

i will say the same thing i say all time. if trading [whomever] gets us a better [whomever] and it can help us win - then that's okay and I hope they do it. apparently the flavour of the day is hating on Mitch - and I do think a part of it is brought on by himself and he's gotta do better speaking to the media, and living up to the contract demands.

if berube gets him to buy in. that's great. but if he can't (or Mitch won't). then we should move him (or ANYONE ELSE) who won't /can't buy in for those who will. it's really that simple.

Reactions: TopCheeseShotta

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
they were major contributors on cup winners... slotted where they needed to be. it always feels like people forget to add this. just because it didn't work here and they won somewhere else, doesn't mean it was wrong to still move along from them because... they weren't working here. and you'd think that one day - ideally, we'd get players [from wherever] it would work the same way but it doesn't.

i will say the same thing i say all time. if trading [whomever] gets us a better [whomever] and it can help us win - then that's okay and I hope they do it. apparently the flavour of the day is hating on Mitch - and I do think a part of it is brought on by himself and he's gotta do better speaking to the media, and living up to the contract demands.

if berube gets him to buy in. that's great. but if he can't (or Mitch won't). then we should move him (or ANYONE ELSE) who won't /can't buy in for those who will. it's really that simple.
People underestimate the value of a good coach. A coach who can coach what he has and use them the best way that they can play. From what I’ve read, Berube is not a “one approach for all’ coach and he will utilize what he has not try to create something new.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
subjective assessment, but I agree
I just want one G damn Cup in Toronto before I leave this earth. To justify all of the memories I had with my friends and parents, some who are no longer with us.

Call me a nostalgic fool but I walked among the million people when the Blue Jays won back to back championships. I did the tomahawk and received the hugs and kisses from all the beautiful ladies of Toronto. I watched the streaker run across the street dividing us as people came downtown from the Skydome and everyone laughed with joy for his contribution to the celebration,.

I will never have these memories for the Leafs in my prime, but there are millions of young Leafs fans who deserve a Cup. One G damn Cup for our lifetimes. One celebration and a middle finger to the Habs fans.

The ownership knows what has to be done so stop pretending that leopards will change their spots and bring in the heavies and men who will give it all every night.

Give me the McCabes and Benoits up front now so I can watch a team with some pride and commitment

That is all, as you were,

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
People underestimate the value of a good coach. A coach who can coach what he has and use them the best way that they can play. From what I’ve read, Berube is not a “one approach for all’ coach and he will utilize what he has not try to create something new.
You are right. I remember Ray Ferraro said something like "No coach could turn MM into Brad Marchand, could MM be Brayden Point or Conor Garland, if it is not in his DNA, MM will only be MM"
maybe what we saw in the playoff was the real MM. it is what it is. The best way that MM can play, does not work in playoff.

Reactions: HOTD and Gabriel426

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
You are right. I remember Ray Ferraro said something like "No coach could turn MM into Brad Marchand, could MM be Brayden Point or Conor Garland, if it is not in his DNA, MM will only be MM"
maybe what we saw in the playoff was the real MM. it is what it is. The best way that MM can play, does not work in playoff.
The vibe I've gotten from both Marner and Matthews over the last 4-5 years is that they're video game players. They love to have fun, look pretty, put up swanky numbers, and entertain the crowd... during the mostly ho-hum regular season. But when it's time to go to war in the playoffs... they are simply not built for it. The playoffs are hard work, pain, misery, and a war of attrition. These kids want no part of that. They want the easy gains.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Like I said before, would anyone still bet on the same horses with a different jockey if these horses had proved that they can't do it over the past 8 years?
I am not sure Tre wants to bet on the same horses.
I am not even sure MM wants to bet on himself performing in the playoffs again, as he failed big time. This past playoffs would had been MM chance to get that 100mil contract on July 1 and he missed it by a huge margin.

The thing I remembered Ray saying after Game 7 was MM looked injured or disinterested in Game 7.

The vibe I've gotten from both Marner and Matthews over the last 4-5 years is that they're video game players. They love to have fun, look pretty, put up swanky numbers, and entertain the crowd... during the mostly ho-hum regular season. But when it's time to go to war in the playoffs... they are simply not built for it. The playoffs are hard work, pain, misery, and a war of attrition. These kids want no part of that. They want the easy gains.
I get that too. AM did better this year with Bert and Domi, as I think those two made AM more engage and not waiting for a pass from MM.

Reactions: Boxscore

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I get that too. AM did better this year with Bert and Domi, as I think those two made AM more engage and not waiting for a pass from MM.
I think Matthews looked a bit better playing with them because their pesky play drew attention and gave AM34 a little more space. However, outside of 1 game, he still looked like "playoff Matthews" which is a player who looks like he's playing down a gear and has historically scored 0.54 ppg in the postseason. It's not like he took their lead physically and became prime Eric Lindros, unfortunately.

The more I watch Matthews closely, the more he reminds me of a more lethal Rick Nash. Big, strong, and gifted... but he has zero dawg in him and is extremely soft for his size. This can fly on a random Wednesday vs. the Islanders... but come playoffs it becomes magnified.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I think Matthews looked a bit better playing with them because their pesky play drew attention and gave AM34 a little more space. However, outside of 1 game, he still looked like "playoff Matthews" which is a player who looks like he's playing down a gear and has historically scored 0.54 ppg in the postseason. It's not like he took their lead physically and became prime Eric Lindros, unfortunately.

The more I watch Matthews closely, the more he reminds me of a more lethal Rick Nash. Big, strong, and gifted... but he has zero dawg in him and is extremely soft for his size. This can fly on a random Wednesday vs. the Islanders... but come playoffs it becomes magnified.
Agree. He takes hit and gets back up....but he is far from being his regular season self.
Maybe bc of the last goal, but I do think playing with Bert and Willie might help AM with more space in the playoffs.
Having said that, AM should really watch how Miller played McD and how Drai just kept battling against whoever the Nucks threw at him. Bc if the can play like Miller in the Dzone and create like Drai in the Ozone, he will be a force.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Bc if the can play like Miller in the Dzone and create like Drai in the Ozone, he will be a force.
Well, of course. But he's had what... 8 playoffs so far to grow into that type of player? Of course, he can always blossom out of the blue and emerge as a playoff star... but historically he's been anything but. Someone shared numbers that he's scored 48 points in 55 playoff games and Draisaitl has scored 100 in 60? That's practically DOUBLE the production. Let that sink in. Crazy.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Well, of course. But he's had what... 8 playoffs so far to grow into that type of player? Of course, he can always blossom out of the blue and emerge as a playoff star... but historically he's been anything but. Someone shared numbers that he's scored 48 points in 55 playoff games and Draisaitl has scored 100 in 60? That's practically DOUBLE the production. Let that sink in. Crazy.
I know, one can only hope.
Or we can just offer MM for Drai and see what Oilers do, lol.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

That’s a fun narrative and all but I’ve seen them take and give more hits, block more shots, and fight for space in the crease (well not so much Marner) than I’ve seen them complete simple passes and make simple shots. If they completed some video game plays and sucked defensively it would be one thing but whatever skills they have in the regular season go out the window in the playoffs. Don’t take that to mean that they can’t do the skill stuff because they don’t have time and space, pucks just hop over their sticks, shots go high and wide, passes take an extra second to settle, they randomly toe pick and fall down, clears don’t exit the zone or go for a delay of game, I could go on.

Maybe it’s the pressure, maybe Keefe was in their heads about playing safe, but there certainly isn’t much skill going on in the playoffs even when the other team isn’t pressuring them and taking away time and space. I see a hell of a lot more of Matthews getting cross checked shovelling a netfront scramble into a pad than I see him ripping shots from his office.

Reactions: TopCheeseShotta

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I guess Berube is a good choice to be next guy to get fired if things go badly again.

It's not like I would know. He won a Stanley Cup. That's usually a sign he's got some coaching skills.

Most coaches these days are all the same anyway.

They all use the same half dozen systems. The differences between them are in personality. How they run practices and motivate players type stuff.

These guys have already had both the stick and the carrot.

Maybe Berube will be like the Goldilock's of coaches. Neither one extreme or the other he's just right. If not these coach killers will be slaughtering the turkey before Thanksgiving this year.

At some point they have to change something other than just the coach.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They scored the same number of points. Nylander had the worst shot share on the whole team. Calling him clutch kinda ignores his play for the rest of the time that isn't helping the team. Some might call it luck.

Even if you want to chalk it up to an eye test and say you just thought Nylander looked better i just feel it can't be by that much objectively and not by the proportion of blame Marner is taking.
"Worst shot share"? What does that mean?

He had more shots per game than anyone else? So he was working harder and more effectively and getting chances better than anyone else. And considering that he had a much better shooting % than anyone else other than McCabe (1 goal on 5 shots), I'd say that's a positive.

Wow! Same number of points as Mitch! The difference being 3 goals in 4 games playing on the second or third line, compared to 1 goal and 2 assists in 7 games playing on the first or second line - talk about one stat with no context!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Let’s not get into the matchup thing. Willie produced while the others didn’t.

Not saying Willie is a God and doesn’t need to learn any more lessons but he scored.
AM, and MM might played more difficult matchups but they didn’t played every seconds against opposing top lines, they couldn’t get it done in the playoffs. Like I doubt opposing teams in the regular season throws their 4th lines and 3rd pairing D against AM and MM but they seemed to have no problem scoring in the regular season.
It's been shown that quality of linemates is appreciably more significant than quality of opponents.

Very few people, and really only those who pay more attention to stats than to the game, even think of using that as an argument.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It’s just going to be the official announcement, no real news. May talk about future plans but I doubt it.
Yup. Any any talk about future plans will be extremely vague, no need to tell the rest of the league what he's up to.
I think it's rare for a coach to have a big impact, it's mostly the players. That said, I do feel like Berube might be the right guy at the right time for this team and could help a lot. I feel like he alone won't be able to do enough though, personnel changes are needed as well and moving Marner is still 100% necessary.

I just want one G damn Cup in Toronto before I leave this earth. To justify all of the memories I had with my friends and parents, some who are no longer with us.

Call me a nostalgic fool but I walked among the million people when the Blue Jays won back to back championships. I did the tomahawk and received the hugs and kisses from all the beautiful ladies of Toronto. I watched the streaker run across the street dividing us as people came downtown from the Skydome and everyone laughed with joy for his contribution to the celebration,.

I will never have these memories for the Leafs in my prime, but there are millions of young Leafs fans who deserve a Cup. One G damn Cup for our lifetimes. One celebration and a middle finger to the Habs fans.

The ownership knows what has to be done so stop pretending that leopards will change their spots and bring in the heavies and men who will give it all every night.

Give me the McCabes and Benoits up front now so I can watch a team with some pride and commitment

That is all, as you were,
I'll never forget Yonge st. the night the Jays won their first title, what a joyous experience that was!

Yeah I get the same vibe. I get it a lot stronger from Marner which is why I'd like to move him but I'm not quite ready to give up on Matthews.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Toronto's greatest deficiencies list.

1. Team building and a settled style of play. They mix and match styles of players and don't set this like say the 90s and 00s Red Wings did.

2. Inability to draft and develop top level tenders.

3. Inability to draft and develop top tier defenders.

4. Contract handling. We always overpay and worse, overpay over the hill players or players that will be over the hill during the contract.

5. They most often make terrible moves holding on to assets and use own rental as a justification. I have written so many posts on this topic. You can not lose assets for nothing and get ahead in the NHL anymore.

6. Trading picks to augment the team before the POs. Now we have lack of talent and no cost controlled kids. Dubas killed us with this.

Why they cant figure these things out is a mystery. If they can fix the above 6 thing's they will be contenders. No question.

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023

1. Team building and a settled style of play. They mix and match styles of players and don't set this like say the 90s and 00s Red Wings did.

4. Contract handling. We always overpay and worse, overpay over the hill players or players that will be over the hill during the contract.

5. They most often make terrible moves holding on to assets and use own rental as a justification. I have written so many posts on this topic. You can not lose assets for nothing and get ahead in the NHL anymore.

6. Trading picks to augment the team before the POs. Now we have lack of talent and no cost controlled kids. Dubas killed us with this.

Why they cant figure these things out is a mystery. If they can fix the above 6 thing's they will be contenders. No question.
boils down to short term thinking

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Meh

Another flavor.....if he fails ....then what?

I dont see much of a upgrade other than the growl he has. TO makes people like that heros's here and they never won anything.

I hope he has better assistants

Tre record hiring coaches isnt great......should we be worried?

What's to worry about?

Oh no, we still suck!

That's the worst case scenario, and probably the most likely one to happen.

But absolutely at minimum the perimiter play style has to go, and Marner is the quarterback of that style IMO.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Dubas bet everything on the wrong 4 horses and make mistake after mistake trying to make it work. He will go down in history with Gordo, Floyd Smith and JFJ as one of the most incompetent GMs in Leafs history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad