Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Jul 10, 2003
KW
respectfully disagree, Lanny MacDonald was a fringe player when the Flames won their cup, but was still a good captain, I think 34, or whoever should have to earn the C...........
Yes, in a perfect world the captaincy would be earned, but there is no such player here. Robots are not the greatest leaders. Matthews has another level in him, he needs a push. The captaincy could do that to him. Make him start having a team first attitude, the rest may (hopefully) follow. He needs to earn that raise they gave him as well.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This clip is of Berube speaking with the media in February of 2023, publicly holding his players accountable - specifically his highest paid guys - for not getting the job done in a very winnable game.

This is the exact press conference Berube could have given after Leafs latest departure from the playoffs. An example of what has made Berube so successful. His demands of himself and his players are high and he preaches work ethic, teamwork and playing the game the right way.

For too many years, the Leafs have lacked the proper motivation to play a full 60 minutes, often digging themselves an early hole in games against subpar teams and NHL bottom-feeders. Those days are over with Berube at the helm. If guys are not performing up to the standard, Berube is not going to sit by idly and watch someone make him look like a fool.

Accountability is important in this sport and while there's been a lot of talk about accountability in Toronto over the years, there's been very little actual accountability for the players. Now, with Berube on board, it's a lesson the Leafs will either learn quickly or learn the hard way. Berube was the perfect guy for the job.

A lot of words once again and nothing of substance.

Can you give me an example of him holding players accountable? I want actions, not words.

I keep hearing it getting said, so there must be a lot of examples.

setting a game plan for each individual player and expecting them to execute isn't holding them accountable?

what is holding them accountable to you?

If they don't do their job... sitting them, limiting ice time, whatever other punishment the staff deems worthy.

People want accountability for on ice play, no?

Is your version of accountability just telling players to play a certain way and that is all?

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Bluebear

Nov 30, 2018
do you actually believe he went to the Worlds for the first time in over a decade because he gave a f*** about playing in that tourny or his team mates ?

he went there because he thinks it'll help him make the main team Canada in the upcoming events
Pretty cynical. Everyone gets one life, Tavares has one career and it won't last forever, its not hard for me to imagine that he might actually see it as a fun change of pace and way to keep up his fitness for next season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I would have said Rielly should be captain but he didnt have a captain like season this year, including the playoffs where he usually shows his stuff. Not sure who I would want at this point, nobody jumps out.
Rielly had one really good playoffs, and that was last year, but he wasn’t Glenn Anderson playoff good so let’s keep it real here……..

Yes, in a perfect world the captaincy would be earned, but there is no such player here. Robots are not the greatest leaders. Matthews has another level in him, he needs a push. The captaincy could do that to him. Make him start having a team first attitude, the rest may (hopefully) follow. He needs to earn that raise they gave him as well.
I’m expecting JT to have a good year, that is if they use him properly, then he has the option of coming back on the cheap or moving on………

Pretty cynical. Everyone gets one life, Tavares has one career and it won't last forever, its not hard for me to imagine that he might actually see it as a fun change of pace and way to keep up his fitness for next season.
Agree……..

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Rielly had one really good playoffs, and that was last year, but he wasn’t Glenn Anderson playoff good so let’s keep it real here……..

I’m expecting JT to have a good year, that is if they use him properly, then he has the option of coming back on the cheap or moving on………

Agree……..
Lol no shit...have we ever had a player have that kind of playoffs? I never suggested Rielly ever had that kind of playoffs but he usually at least keeps up his standard of play from the regular season which is a bit of a high bar for a lot of the leafs.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You obviously haven't watched him play.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is saying trade him as a means to shield JT. Well except you.

If he signs for less money to play on the third or fourth line then yes, it would be a discount. Less money=discount. Really not a tough concept to grasp.
since when isn't Mitch a 90 pt good defensive winger ? you want to knock his playoffs that's fine but to deny how good he is in the regular season is absurd

yup no one is saying we should dump Marner to deflect criticism , they're just constantly crapping on Mitch while still pimping JT

a discount is when you sign for less than your worth , not when you sign for less than you making when you've already been grossly overpaid

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
so after about a dozen years and having a wife and 3 young kids at home he decides it would now be a fun change of pace ? lol okay we'll go with that

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He is well regarded bc of all the lessons he has been learning, time for him to share that knowledge with another team
Maple Leafs roster Year 2062:
John Tavares addresses media:
1716071244323.jpeg

I feel we are right there, I just don’t remember where we were going???

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
so after about a dozen years and having a wife and 3 young kids at home he decides it would now be a fun change of pace ? lol okay we'll go with that
I think Tavares went to play for Team Canada because he was invited.

I don’t think JT has ever turned down an opportunity to play for his country.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

When I first heard he was joining, I was happy bc it shows he believe he still got more to give this season. Yes, I did think he went partly due to getting out of the TO fish bowl.
But he said it was a good lesson after the Austria game, all the good will meant out the window.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
8-16 the next 3 yrs in playoffs. Guess making players accountable didn’t work then
Guess the cursing didn't work those years...

There is no question a coaching change had to happen, and it should have happened a couple of years ago. But all this mattering about accountability, the team being more important than the individual, yada, yada, yada. Every single coach in literally every sport says this stuff. It's no different than the platitudes that players use. Other than some pretty rare exceptions (Trotz being the last), a coach is ultimately only as good as his roster. Berube will have a great regular season record here, just like Keefe. But he will need a better roster to have playoff success. The bright side is that I think he will get it. Marner will be traded for good assets, and the defense will be heavily upgraded. More than likely, Treliving will also trade for a proper number one goalie.

Reactions: Da Mash

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This is why I said it depends on how he means the comment. Obviously Berube is going to come in an make things more uncomfortable and challenge players publicly who are not performing to their full capability.

But I think the comment was intended to insinuate that this type of coaching will rattle Matthews in the sense that he won’t handle it well which I don’t see. Matthews strikes me as a guy who just wants to be the best he can be but might need a little push to take the next step.
What do you think the next step is for Matthews?

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Ppl here gonna be very disappointed when we have marner in our roster next year! And marner will be amazing and everyone jump back on his dick

Reactions: Kazparov

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

so you're saying this is the first time in about a dozen years they invited him to the World Championship , lol ok

• Haha
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
i meant going through the motions when he gave a fist bump

Willie isn't a playoff dud and one of the biggest issues on this team is trying to justify paying JT 11m by giving him ice time and linemates he doesn't deserve , also Johnny has been the biggest playoff dud among the core 4

i'll put my feeling about the team this way ,if i made you GM 6 yrs ago instead of Dummy would you have

tried to build a finesse team around the 3 kids who you already knew weren't the tough gritty type and also signed a 2nd line C that you didn't need to a 11m dollar contract then try to sell it as a discount

or would you have

surrounded the core 3 with tougher grittier players to compliment them as well as spending the 11mm on pieces the team actually needed
You wouldn’t happen to have a link to your comments being against signing JT when it happened? If I recall it was pandemonium and everybody was high 5 ing.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It sure was a big factor….no?

I mean if it wasn’t ….why is his playoff record so poor if you take that playoff run out?

The goalie has been living off that cup run for yrs now.

8-16 the next 3 yrs in playoffs. Guess making players accountable didn’t work then

Roster construction is probably more important that rah-rah speeches. Their incredible GM, who we salivated over last offseason, decided that the best way to replace Pietragelo was to sign guys like Krug and give Faulk extensions.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
For there to be no search and just handing the job over to someone I think they need to do better than Berube. I don think this makes the Leafs better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad