Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As a Leafs fan, I’d take this and run but I don’t see any motivation whatsoever for STL to do this. None. Marner won’t get a 1 RHD, 1A/B goalie AND a first.
I think Blues is in a retool stage. Their GM might think signing MM long term(extension) would be a better fit for their young guys than having Parayko and Binnington around.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Berube seems like a good fit with Brad's vision of huge D-men who can move the puck. I hope we can get the right players that fit with the coach.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Really curious who is coming in as assistants.

I am assuming all of Keefe's assistants were let go. Clean slate please.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I know people have a soft spot for Johnny because they believe there's something wrong with him but it's his 11m that needs to be off the books for this team to improve .
I think we all need to learn a LESSON about Johnny.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think people give Nylander enough credit for how much of a competitor he is. I think he will be even more productive under Berube.
To me, what is keeping Willie to hit that next level, is his willingness to be engage in play. Hopefully Berube can provide more structure to the team and Willie plays within that structure. As Keefe tends to let Willie do his thing, and sometime Willie plays like he is on an island by himself, which is also hard for his line mates to play with him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Welcome home Craig Berube !!!! :welcome:

For all you Leaf diehards out there ... Did you know that Craig Berube was once a Maple Leaf player in a past life ?.

That's right, he was traded by then Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher in a the massive 10 player swap that brought Dougie Gilmour to Toronto from Calgary ..

Trade to the Maple Leafs​

Several months after the Toronto Maple Leafs hired Cliff Fletcher to be their new general manager, he made a blockbuster trade with Calgary in February 1992. Fletcher had previously served as Calgary's general manager before coming to Toronto, and he was responsible for putting together their 1989 championship team. The Leafs acquired Doug Gilmour along with Jamie Macoun, Ric Nattress, Kent Manderville, and Rick Wamsley in exchange for Gary Leeman, Alexander Godynyuk, Jeff Reese, Michel Petit and Craig Berube.

The 10 player deal was the largest in NHL history, and statistically speaking, one of the most lopsided.

1715999395206.png

Did anyone remember he wore now Mitch Marner's #16 as a Leaf?

1715999934563.png

Last edited:

United35

Jan 16, 2021
This "hard-ass" coach stuff is another fan-driven narrative. Do people really think that their are "nice" coaches in any professional sport? The amount of pressure on these guys is not insignificant. Hell, there are plenty of clips of Keefe losing his shit, as well. If anyone thinks screaming at Matthews, Nylander, Tavares or Bertuzzi is going to achieve anything, I have the proverbial bridge to sell you. Maybe that stuff works with young players because it puts some fear into them. I promise that no coach is scaring Nylander or Matthews.

Near as I can tell, the best coaches are the ones who can create systems that players buy into and execute on a consistent basis. Hopefully Berube can do that. But if he is successful, it won't be because the players shiver in his presence. Matthews and Nylander know very well that in a dispute between player and coach, those guys win every time.
I think it comes down to accountability. Not yelling for the sake of yelling. If you play the wrong way your ice time dips. Simple as that. Players have pride. Some will get bent out of shape and may need to go. But some will get the message and change for the better.

The goal is to win not keep the players happy. Winning brings happiness.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ya. What out of work NHL coach would ever want to coach one of the most talented group of players in the league in the biggest hockey market in the world? It's madness!
“All that talent” just morph into “the most talented group of players in the league”. Send the Cup, the Leafs just won their 10th straight off-season championship.

Reactions: rkp

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Welcome home Craig Berube !!!! :welcome:

For all you Leaf diehards out there ... Did you know that Craig Berube was once a Maple Leaf player in a past life ?.

That's right, he was traded by then Leafs GM Cliff Fletcher in a the massive 10 player swap that brought Dougie Gilmour to Toronto from Calgary ..

Trade to the Maple Leafs​

Several months after the Toronto Maple Leafs hired Cliff Fletcher to be their new general manager, he made a blockbuster trade with Calgary in February 1992. Fletcher had previously served as Calgary's general manager before coming to Toronto, and he was responsible for putting together their 1989 championship team. The Leafs acquired Doug Gilmour along with Jamie Macoun, Ric Nattress, Kent Manderville, and Rick Wamsley in exchange for Gary Leeman, Alexander Godynyuk, Jeff Reese, Michel Petit and Craig Berube.

The 10 player deal was the largest in NHL history, and statistically speaking, one of the most lopsided.

View attachment 872698

Did anyone remember he wore now Mitch Marner's #16 as a Leaf?

View attachment 872705
Great work.. Remembered him in the deal but did not recall the number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad