Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Well. One thing is for sure. Play time is over with this core. The Country Club atmosphere is officially gone. Because Berube is arguably a bigger hard ass than Tortorella is.
Excellent. Time for the core to wake up and put up or shut up.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I said it on the main boards, and I’ll say it here. I think you guys will enjoy him. He’s everything that article a few posts above mentioned. Players love him and play very hard for him. He needs some good tactical assistants. If you guys get those, and maybe a little more defensive help, I think it’ll be a good recipe.

He ended our cursed ways, I’ll be very intrigued to see if he can do it for you guys. Best of luck to you guys.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
This "hard-ass" coach stuff is another fan-driven narrative. Do people really think that their are "nice" coaches in any professional sport? The amount of pressure on these guys is not insignificant. Hell, there are plenty of clips of Keefe losing his shit, as well. If anyone thinks screaming at Matthews, Nylander, Tavares or Bertuzzi is going to achieve anything, I have the proverbial bridge to sell you. Maybe that stuff works with young players because it puts some fear into them. I promise that no coach is scaring Nylander or Matthews.

Near as I can tell, the best coaches are the ones who can create systems that players buy into and execute on a consistent basis. Hopefully Berube can do that. But if he is successful, it won't be because the players shiver in his presence. Matthews and Nylander know very well that in a dispute between player and coach, those guys win every time.
Torts is known to be probably the loudest angriest coach who even call out player by name in post game interviews. His track record is pretty good. He even made Columbus a decent team where the best players on the team were Bobby and Cam Atkinson.

So loud coaches can work. How long it works is debatable though.

Reactions: ruaware41

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Somebody please tell me this is true. Any other sources saying this?

GNy_b88XYAAHuHz

I like this new direction. Seems to imply a quicker pace of play which will be a big change from that plodding possession style that this group was so accustomed to playing with in those brain dead regular season games.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Best possible hire atm. Love it, we will see. So glad McLellan wasn't picked. He will forever have Edmonton stank on him and I don't want that in a Leaf dressing room. Brind'Amour's time in Carolina is too much like TML recent history, he was unable to coach his way through Freddie Andersen - unfair as that may be, you got Freddie in net for a big game, you go NJD Lemaire or just go to your back up.

Not to just be contrarian but if we keep MM, I think he thrives under Berube, CB might be exactly what Mitch needs. It's Nylander that's going to have the issues. Right now I don't care about any player's fe-fe's

My track record for this stuff - same as everyone's else's, crap. 50/50 at best. I was just as psyched when we hired Babcock, didn't have a clue to what a psycho he was. We will see but I'm happy today.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Torts is known to be probably the loudest angriest coach who even call out player by name in post game interviews. His track record is pretty good. He even made Columbus a decent team where the best players on the team were Bobby and Cam Atkinson.

So loud coaches can work. How long it works is debatable though.
I don't think Torts get enough credit for how good of a tactical coach he is. A guy doesn't stay in the NHL for as long as he has just by yelling a lot.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I like this new direction. Seems to imply a quicker pace of play which will be a big change from that plodding possession style that this group was so accustomed to playing with in those brain dead regular season games.

Look at decent PP especially in the post season. They zip the puck around not giving PKers any chance of closing up on the puck carrier and create openings/space to zip a quick shots for a goal or tasty rebounds

Reactions: TMLife17

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
According to who? He alienated them and got himself sacked

Part of the job is developing those guys

I know the thing everybody wants is some prick to come in and make the players miserable but you can't do that to young players and expect good results
He called them out specifically so it's pretty obvious why.

So let young players come in and control the team and play for themselves so their salary gets higher and don't care about losing? That sounds awesome. They are part of a team and they get paid more than the rest of the guys so they can earn that damn salary by acting like they give a damn when you got guys getting paid near league minimum playing for the team. No wonder why this core thinks they can do whatever they want because nobody will hold them responsible for anything and they know it. Development/skills coaches are there to develop them and the coaches are there to coach them to win hockey games.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Best possible hire atm. Love it, we will see. So glad McLellan wasn't picked. He will forever have Edmonton stank on him and I don't want that in a Leaf dressing room. Brind'Amour's time in Carolina is too much like TML recent history, he was unable to coach his way through Freddie Andersen - unfair as that may be, you got Freddie in net for a big game, you go NJD Lemaire or just go to your back up.

Not to just be contrarian but if we keep MM, I think he thrives under Berube, CB might be exactly what Mitch needs. It's Nylander that's going to have the issues. Right now I don't care about any player's fe-fe's

My track record for this stuff - same as everyone's else's, crap. 50/50 at best. I was just as psyched when we hired Babcock, didn't have a clue to what a psycho he was. We will see but I'm happy today.
Oddly enough, I think Nylander will thrive under Berube.

horner

May 22, 2007
This team has needed a new voice behind the bench since at least the Florida loss, if not immediately after the 2021 disaster. Keefe's deficiencies more than anything contributed to this teams repeated playoff failures as the same problems always plagued them; inability to score, poor special teams, and a refusal to adapt or change things.

Berube has a winning pedigree, a reputation as a motivator, and preaches hard nosed, no passengers hockey. We need that in this market more than ever.
Our young guys need him.
The core he will make them better players.
The core wount run this team anymore.

He's a pat Quinn type of coach

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

horner

May 22, 2007
Well. One thing is for sure. Play time is over with this core. The Country Club atmosphere is officially gone. Because Berube is arguably a bigger hard ass than Tortorella is.
A Tocchet type of coach

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He's gunna rattle Matthews a lot more than some people are expecting too.
Nah, some of you guys aren't giving Matthews and Nylander enough credit. They will likely improve their overall play, and maybe even their numbers, under Berube,. Tavares will have a resurgence. Domi may struggle because his defensive lapses are going to get him into trouble.

A Tocchet type of coach
Tocchet is nothing special. Life is easier for a coach when you have a Norris defenseman and a Vezina goalie.

Reactions: ruaware41

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad