Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Best of luck

I just hope his relationship with our younger guys isn't quite as fraught as it was when he left the Blues

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
He's won the Stanley Cup in the last 5 years
He's generally well liked by his players
He's a no nonsense guy
He's intense

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'm just glad it wasn't Quenneville which would have been a classless hire

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Aside from Quenneville who is obviously still not available for hire, I think this was the best choice out of currently available coaches... waiting longer to see who else is fired could have meant losing him.

I hope all the assistants are changed out as well. Fresh new voice.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Live look into Mitch Marners living room as he receives the news while training his reflexes for the upcoming season playing Fortnite :

E2maidaUYAcbW3A.jpg

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The video of Berube calling out his players to the media.

Did he take any action or did he complain to the media and that was all?

I've seen that he will hold players accountable, I am curious how many games those guys sat.

Berube doesn't seem like the guy who likes non-contact hockey.

Anyone know a Core 4 regular season darling with an allergy to body contact besides Matthews ?

Bye Mitch

Nylander as well...

Matthews leads (or is close to leading) our team in hits most playoffs for forwards.

Reactions: ruaware41

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Berube doesn't seem like the guy who likes non-contact hockey.

Anyone know a Core 4 regular season darling with an allergy to body contact ?

Bye Mitch
Or he knows an enforcers value. He was an NHL player before a coach. I'll let you do the research hate to take away the fun of education.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Good hire- they needed a middle ground between Babcock and Keefe. Tough but fair.

Afaik he hasn't asked to look in player's phones or been out coached in a series by Dom Ducharme so that's a plus.

Hoping he can shoot a bit higher than respect in the handshake line.

Still wondering why Shanny is employed by MLSE but this is a step in the right direction. Now they need to get serious about changing the cap structure of the team asap

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
It's a step. Not the end all be all change but a step. Hopefully brings a culture change.

Now up to Tre.

Reactions: myleafs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Welcome to the Toronto Maple Leafs Chief!

Now please be a hardass no more pushover BS. If you don't show effort you don't play!

This makes me laugh because effort is not the issue, it is execution... if anything Nylander sits, both Marner and Tavares try, but they just don't execute.

I will laugh if he holds players accountable and starts sitting Nylander for lack of effort and this board turns on him.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This has lost all meaning...

It is now what people say when they have nothing to critique anymore.

I would love to hear which coaches Berube has outcoached and how.

What system does Berube normally deploy offensively and defensively?

Regular season pt %:
Keefe: .665
Berube: .584

Playoff pt %:
Keefe: .432
Berube: .466

Marner defensively is responsible and he works hard as much as people don't want to hear it.

Willy might be in the dog house if he goes cold, he offers nothing else.

Before the COVID pause and his team was stripped of it's #1 defenseman and another top pairing defenseman (or at least top four), Berube had a regular season winning percentage of .657. After Pietrangelo was allowed to walk and Bouwmeester had to retire the Blues just were not the same and I'd say they've had a worse roster than the Leafs since 2021. It's not an entirely fair comparison.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
What is the difference betwee Mike Babcock and Craig Berube as a coach?

Is Berube a good systems coach?

I know he is a hard ass like Babcock was.

Babcock had an absurd ego and was power hungry though and a manipilator. Hopefully Berube can be a hard nose coach with strong systems that help the team next year while maintaining a sense of normalcy in a coach - player relation
The biggest difference is one is a sociopath.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Before the COVID pause and his team was stripped of it's #1 defenseman and another top pairing defenseman (or at least top four), Berube had a regular season winning percentage of .657. After Pietrangelo was allowed to walk and Bouwmeester had to retire the Blues just were not the same and I'd say they've had a worse roster than the Leafs since 2021. It's not an entirely fair comparison.

Are our players good again? I can never keep up.

A .657 is still less than Keefe's average.

The Berube hire is fine... but this doesn't seem like a homerun.

Reactions: ruaware41

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad