Confirmed with Link: Cracknell from CBJ for Future Considerations

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think it's a prelude to something monumental involving Berglund and Ott no longer being Blues.

Think about it deductively. Here are the top-9 forwards we know aren't going anywhere: Steen, Oshie, Backes, Schwartz, Lehtera, Tarasenko, Stastny, Jaskin. We also have a few forwards (Porter, Reaves, Lindstrom, MPS and now Cracknell) who don't have enough value or cost to need trading.

Then there's Berglund and Ott, with a combined $6.3 million in contracted salary for next year, which is probably just about the minimum raise Tarasenko will need.

So you ship the two of those guys off for expiring contracts (or puck bags). But now what are you missing? Depth at center, definition in the bottom 6 and chemistry. Thus, reenters Cracknell, a center who has experience in our bottom 6 and in our dressing room—and is a proven playoff asset.

Now your lineup looks like this, which I'd say is every bit as good but much better able to handle the raises needed in the offseason:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Rental/Callup-Stastny-Jaskin
Porter-Cracknell-Reaves

Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good idea, if you ask me. I'll be sending it off to Eklund now, for his approval and distribution.

The Blues are going to need to clear some salary for Tarasenko's raise but they don't need to do that until this summer. Playoff teams are trying to add depth right now, not jettison roster players. Also, you forgot Goc.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It doesn't. It could certainly just be depth. He's a known, hard working, good depth guy.

He's depth for The NHL level, in case of injury to a couple forwards and Goc and Ott have to move up to the 3rd Line. Right now Porter and Lindström are the only NHL-experienced forward depth. I don't think they'll want to play Rattie in the playoffs.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
He's depth for The NHL level, in case of injury to a couple forwards and Goc and Ott have to move up to the 3rd Line. Right now Porter and Lindström are the only NHL-experienced forward depth. I don't think they'll want to play Rattie in the playoffs.

And Colin Fraser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad