Cracked/Bruised/Broken Ribs

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by Frank Drebin, Jan 19, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Habs Sponsor

Anyone here have this happen? I don't think that my ribs are broken or cracked, most likely bruised...the pain is more of an irritation until I have to laugh or sneeze.

It happened in a weird way too, I play goal, a guy just wristed a shot from the point and it just hit me in the right spot, right in the sternum. It was a little sore after the game, got up the next day to go for a jog and man did it hurt after that.

Anyways, just seeing if anyone wanted to share in my misery or chime in on their own experiences.

I realize that there is not much I can do for them....Just rest...

2. stick9

stick9 Registered User

Oh yeah. I've bruised my ribs before. Hurts like a b!tch! Pray to go you don't catch a cold when you have em.

Last time I did it the kid I was working with kept making me laugh. I told him to stop because it hurt to laugh, he I know that's why I keep doing. Kind of funny when you think about it.

3. Slick

Slick Registered User

Mechanical Engineer
    I've heard broken ribs it hurts to breath, so hopefully for you it's only bruised. Hockey injuries suck, especially when it keeps you from playing.

4. Frank Drebin

How long did they bother you for...I think my ribs are getting better, It's been 5 days since they got hurt, I was hoping to be playing within 2 weeks.

5. Gallagbi

Gallagbi Formerly Eazy_B97

I've had cracked ribs before, and it sounds like the same symptoms. Sneezing, laughing, and acitivity hurt. I just took some advils and played through it. Not much you can do about it. Don't remember how long they were irritating me for though, sorry.

6. EmptyNetter

EmptyNetter Registered User

customer service
    I used to study karate. I stepped in toward my instructor as he was kicking and it hit me in the side. I don't know if I bruised or fractured my floating rib but I think the doctor said no practice for 2 weeks and light contact after that. I'd say two weeks at least and maybe tape them once you start playing again. Avoid contact for awhile.

7. 12 oz Papa*

12 oz Papa* Guest

I bruised my whole ribcage a few years back. It still hurts during certain movements and such. I eventually asked my doctor about it and he straight up told me I'd have to deal with that pain for the rest of my life, especially during sports. I still play roller hockey and it gets sore, and sometimes hurts after games, but the doctor said not to worry.

8. Muttley*

Muttley* Guest

That sucks. Try soaking in a hot/very warm bath with some espom salts.

If you can bear it, rub some Tiger Balm/Sportscreme, etc on it, but be careful & do it gently!

Lay on the couch when you watch TV and lay a heating pad or hot water bottle on it.

Did you get it checked out with a Doctor, just in case?

9. Marns

Marns Registered User

Home Page:
    Bruising bones sucks. I bruised the bottom of my leg bone, right near the ankle. The physio said it could've been slightly fractured but you can't do anything about it. Sucks, but might just have to live with it. I could imagine though that ribs would hurt infinitely more than leg bones.

10. Frank Drebin

LOL, no...I'm old school, just googled it.:eek:

11. Steve L*

Steve L* Registered User

Home Page:
    Ive had them and sneezing or coughing with cracked ribs is one of the worst pains Ive ever had. Ive done both sides and I was stupid enough to not miss a game of football.

Oh and I hope you have better friends than I did who suddenly started getting funny and telling jokes to me all the time, ********. :D

12. Muttley*

Muttley* Guest

Ouch, and that hurts every time you walk. :shakehead

13. Muttley*

Muttley* Guest

ah, internet self-medication.

lol, don't you all have free medical care up there?

14. Methane

Methane Registered User

InfoSec Analyst
    Home Page:
    I've cracked/bruised some ribs. Wrapping yourself with an ACE bandage seems to help. That's really all a Doc will do, but he'll use tape.