Coyotes waive Michael Grabner for purposes of buyout.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Don't like this. He was a bigger threat on the PK than most of our guys on the PP. I don't understand why Tocc didn't like him. One of the few guys that was always hustling and on a team that couldn't score, the guys that actually played defense were that much more valuable. Of course I didn't understand the way offensive guys like Domi, Strome and Duclair were handled either so what do I know?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Don't like this. He was a bigger threat on the PK than most of our guys on the PP. I don't understand why Tocc didn't like him. One of the few guys that was always hustling and on a team that couldn't score, the guys that actually played defense were that much more valuable. Of course I didn't understand the way offensive guys like Domi, Strome and Duclair were handled either so what do I know?
RT mentioned that Grabner is basically playing with one eye. That is dangerous, and I wonder if Grabner was going to retire this year?

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Good move - he was scratched because he was a liability if it wasn't defending the point on the penalty kill, there are numerous options in the system that are cheaper than him, it frees up capspace for next year if they really are going to try and fit in Hall, and it opens a spot for a younger player to make the roster. It certainly makes sense cap-wise to defer some of the hit to next season when things open up if you think you'll be tight this upcoming season. I doubt this has much of anything to do with Tocchet like so many are insinuating. Not everything is being done through the lens of the coach.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I agree.

I dislike Grabner 5v5 but he became necessary in his defensive role due to the misalignment of the top 9. I'm hoping they fix that by the end of the summer.

knich

Jan 3, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Contract number aside, how serviceable was he for the team last year? I see that 8 goals and 11 points isn't much but I keep hearing about his impact on the PK due to his speed. Does that still remain, esp. compared to the beginning of his career?

Grabner was a healthy scratch for about a month. He basically didn't rejoin the team until "the playoffs." Grabner was far from perfect each night and on some nights he seemed to dog it. I would have liked to see more of a Garland type effort from him each night. That said, at his worst, he was much better than most in his role. And...see below.

He is the best conditioned forward /player in the team. Tremendous locker room guy by all accounts. Elite straight ahead speed. Elite penalty killer. Will get a breakaway once every 25 mins of game time. Set your watch to it.

he was not as effective when he came back from a terrible eye injury. He has long term damage there which I believe will be with him permanently. Had that injury not occurred I don’t think he would have been a healthy scratch as frequently as he was and would have not been bought out.

And he was our best player in "the playoffs." If not for Grabner defensive play, we probably don't get to the real playoffs. So his vision appeared to have improved. He looked like the Grabner of his first season with us.

Good move - he was scratched because he was a liability if it wasn't defending the point on the penalty kill, there are numerous options in the system that are cheaper than him, it frees up capspace for next year if they really are going to try and fit in Hall, and it opens a spot for a younger player to make the roster. It certainly makes sense cap-wise to defer some of the hit to next season when things open up if you think you'll be tight this upcoming season. I doubt this has much of anything to do with Tocchet like so many are insinuating. Not everything is being done through the lens of the coach.

Au contraire...I think this has RT all over this. BA said he had to rely on RT for input on the team..big mistake...and as noted MG was healthy scratch for about a month AFTER he returned from eye injury. Guess how many games Kessel was a healthy scratch or any other player for that matter? MG was in RT dog house and RT let BA know it. I am reluctantly fine with this move because of first response above. But I sincerely hope that RT is not influencing anything else. We shall see though. I expect Kessel to be bought out, traded or waived. If that doesn't happen then we know RT has influence still.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad