Coyotes waive Michael Grabner for purposes of buyout.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Nobody interested. Buyout coming.
Screenshot_20201003-093541_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20201003-102341_Twitter.jpg

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
A lot of us on here said a buyout of Grabner was possible. With the team not being anywhere near the cap next season (2021-22) the increased cap hit isn’t the end of the world.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Definitely liked Grabner in general. That injury really sucked to see happen for many reasons. I understand the buyout too.

Man I can't stress how much I HATE that Tocchet is still a head coach. Especially if decisions are being made to "help" him.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Fare thee well

I liked him. Tocchet didn't, and he was due almost $4M. It's easy math.

This buyout surprises me. The real savings over the next two years are only 1.7 mill. Granted, the cap hit for the 20-21 season will now only be .833 mill, instead of 3.35 mill. Some people here has said the Yotes not are in cap-hell, but this certainly looks like a somewhat desperat cap-hell move to me.

He will need to be replaced on the roster, and even an ELC will make at least 700K, possibly more. Was it against his contract to pay him for not playing in the AHL? I thought someone would take him with 50% retention. Was it to early to give up?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
this certainly looks like a somewhat desperat cap-hell move to me.
It pushes cap and money to next year, both of which we can use this year. I doesn't really save any actual cash. We still have to pay a replacement. It just moves cash and cap to next year when you should have more of both.

Also, Tocchet hated him, so...

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Contract number aside, how serviceable was he for the team last year? I see that 8 goals and 11 points isn't much but I keep hearing about his impact on the PK due to his speed. Does that still remain, esp. compared to the beginning of his career?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He's fine on the PK and bottom six with great acceleration and anticipation. He was due almost $4M, and Armstrong has already talked about getting a bigger meaner bottom six. THAT he isn't, so....

Reactions: TheLegend

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Contract number aside, how serviceable was he for the team last year? I see that 8 goals and 11 points isn't much but I keep hearing about his impact on the PK due to his speed. Does that still remain, esp. compared to the beginning of his career?
He is the best conditioned forward /player in the team. Tremendous locker room guy by all accounts. Elite straight ahead speed. Elite penalty killer. Will get a breakaway once every 25 mins of game time. Set your watch to it.

he was not as effective when he came back from a terrible eye injury. He has long term damage there which I believe will be with him permanently. Had that injury not occurred I don’t think he would have been a healthy scratch as frequently as he was and would have not been bought out.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Wish we could've flipped him for Roussell to save a little bit more money. I'm assuming we bought him out to, 1 save money, and 2, to open a spot for a more physical, higher motor player. Bunting is likely, maybe FA.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This buyout surprises me. The real savings over the next two years are only 1.7 mill. Granted, the cap hit for the 20-21 season will now only be .833 mill, instead of 3.35 mill. Some people here has said the Yotes not are in cap-hell, but this certainly looks like a somewhat desperat cap-hell move to me.

He will need to be replaced on the roster, and even an ELC will make at least 700K, possibly more. Was it against his contract to pay him for not playing in the AHL? I thought someone would take him with 50% retention. Was it to early to give up?
Has RT written all over it!

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Check his 5v5 numbers compared to Kessel's and then compare minutes played.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
$3.775 million is a lot to pay for a limited minutes player. Not when we’ve got a couple of guys in Tucson who could fill the role and eat more minutes for a lot less.

As BA put it. It’s a hockey move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad