Coyotes vs Leafs defense

Which Defense is better right now?

• Total voters

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Which team has the better defense when healthy?
Yotes:

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Chychrun-Demers
Gologoski-Oesterle

Leaves:
Rielly-Muzzin
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Hainsey

Let me know if i should make any changes to the D pairings. The way i see it the top pairs are pretty close to even idk who i would give the edge to but the Yotes second pairing is better. Idk much about the 3rd pairings to comment but i would give the edge to the Leafs (depends if Goligoski is still good Yotes fans want to comment?). Babcock did say he is going to keep Rielly-Hainsey together so Leafs fans if u want me to change it to that lemme know.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I feel OEL and Hjalmarsson have more brand power behind their names because of what they have done; where Muzzin is a smaller name but seems to be very good according to Kings fans (probably better then Hjalmarsson) and Rielly seems to have caught up to OEL this year.

This is probably Toronto based on this year but I would be quite biased in my answer as a leafs fan.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Before the trade it was the Coyotes. Adding Muzzin tips the advantage to the Leafs.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Gardiner-Zaitsev
worst second pairing in the NHL

Gardiner is a good second pairing defenseman. Zaitsev isn't great, true.

I doubt it's the worst second-pairing.

Since the beginning of '16-'17, Gardiner is in the top 20 in points among defensemen and tied for fifth in plus/minus. He consistently has positive relative possession stats.

NHL.com - Stats

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Im not even gonna touch the rest of that but you really think Dermott is better than Chychrun?

I said greater than OR EQUAL TO... I think its close, but I prefer Dermott.

dashboard-1-png.180937

As for the rest of my comparisons:

Dashboard 1 (1).png
View attachment 180950
Dashboard 1 (3).png
Dashboard 1 (2).png
Dashboard 1 (4).png
Dashboard 1 (5).png

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I feel OEL and Hjalmarsson have more brand power behind their names because of what they have done; where Muzzin is a smaller name but seems to be very good according to Kings fans (probably better then Hjalmarsson) and Rielly seems to have caught up to OEL this year.

This is probably Toronto based on this year but I would be quite biased in my answer as a leafs fan.
I am still trying to figure out what OEL has done exactly. He's accomplished nothing and his stats are not particularly impressive, yet he gets handed being a top D by everyone.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I am still trying to figure out how a team that's supposed top always have a horrible D, always has a good GA.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Using analytic comparative charts when looking at two different teams is a tough go, because it doesn't tell a story at all.

In terms of who's better?
OEL and Rielly are toss ups to me; I'd want neither as my 1D if I was building a cup winning franchise to be real with you. I might lean OEL because I've never actually seen him play on a good squad.
Hjalmarsson and Muzz? I like Hammer a lot. He's was instrumental on a number of cup runs. Couldn't go wrong with either though.
Demers or Gardiner? Is there a none option? I don't like either player.

Dunno. Both of these defensive groups are on the middle/bottom side of the league. Flip a coin.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I am still trying to figure out what OEL has done exactly. He's accomplished nothing and his stats are not particularly impressive, yet he gets handed being a top D by everyone.

Aside from the fact that the last 5 years he’s been 1st on his team in scoring twice, 2nd twice, and 4th once. He also scored 23 goals from the blue line. Even Karlsson’s never done that. He’s an elite dman who has been carrying a really bad team by himself.

I am still trying to figure out how a team that's supposed top always have a horrible D, always has a good GA.

You’re joking right? By having a top 3 group of forwards in the NHL, and an elite goalie. GA is a team stat. Toronto had a bottom 5 defense (before Muzzin), regardless of the GA

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Aside from the fact that the last 5 years he’s been 1st on his team in scoring twice, 2nd twice, and 4th once. He also scored 23 goals from the blue line. Even Karlsson’s never done that. He’s an elite dman who has been carrying a really bad team by himself.

You’re joking right? By having a top 3 group of forwards in the NHL, and an elite goalie. GA is a team stat. Toronto had a bottom 5 defense (before Muzzin), regardless of the GA
Based on what stats?
Sorry, but no way are they where they are with a bottom 5 D.
Toronto doesn't even give up many high danger chances in shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad