Confirmed with Link: Coyotes trade Letunov, 2017 6th to San Jose for 2016 4th + 2017 3rd

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not impressed with the return. Thought Letunov had more value. Maybe he wouldn't sign with the Coyotes?

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Damn I liked what I was hearing about letunov, never got to see much actual video of him though. If he wasn't going to sign good trade though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
San Jose wins in a landslide.

Three things that are important for context:

1. That 2016 4th is now transferred to Philly, allowing AZ to keep their '17 3rd
1A. For Arizona this means they effectively dealt Letunov and a 6th for two 3rds.

2. If Arizona traded Letunov (who's clearly a better asset than two 3rds) and had to add a 6th rounder to get a bite, it's probably because he's not interested in signing in Arizona and may opt to go the free-agent or Europe route, regardless. I suspect Arizona was not an option for him, and San Jose is making a little bit of a gamble, hoping they can convince him to sign with them.

3. Arizona acquired this player for Zbynek Michalek two deadlines ago. Michalek re-signed in Arizona a few months later. Letunov was basically a freebie for the Coyotes anyway.

So while San Jose is the winner here, Arizona isn't really the loser. One team won and the other broke even.

Letunov just had too many options. Arizona doesn't do well with guys that have other options. Haha. We kind of have to take guys who have no choice.

While I'd rather have Letunov, I'm guessing Chayka did what he had to do. Teams likely weren't willing to offer more because they have the same fears that Arizona does about this player having too many options. He's not your typical prospect. There's some risk due to his non-traditional path thus far.

Also, Arizona now has their own 1st, their own 2nd, and their own 3rd next year (due to Philly now getting the SJS '16 4th instead of our '17 3rd).

That means they can offer-sheet somebody now if they choose to. That wasn't an option before. They're a little more flexible this morning than they were last night. That's not the worst thing.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
We had three more seasons to convince him to sign, right? We've got plenty of center depth too, so there was no real rush either.

Seems like there were easier ways to get a 4th and no real reason to deal Letunov at this point. The summer after his junior year? Sure. You don't want to lose him for nothing like Nashville did with Vesey. But now? This summer? Before the draft? Why?

rt

May 13, 2004
We had three more seasons to convince him to sign, right? We've got plenty of center depth too, so there was no real rush either.

Seems like there were easier ways to get a 4th and no real reason to deal Letunov at this point. The summer after his junior year? Sure. You don't want to lose him for nothing like Nashville did with Vesey. But now? This summer? Before the draft? Why?

Getting two 3rds next year, versus whatever we get when we have to deal him with that gun to our head in two years is probably a better return in the eyes of management who are looking for flexibility right now today.

There's nothing to like about this. But I can't see being upset either. It's a non-issue for me.

rt

May 13, 2004
Terrible any way you look at it. I'd rather have Letunov than two thirds next year.

I can't really have an opinion until mouser tells us what Letunov's options are.

Could he play another year of NCAA and then go to the KHL for a few seasons and become a free-agent?

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009

I have to assume that these moves will make more sense in big picture hindsight. GMC had stated that they had a lot of things planned/lined up.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

This quote is disappointing for me. They should have just signed him right now if that's what he was asking for. He might not be a worldbeater just yet in the AHL but he could have handled it. I guess we don't know, but this makes it seems like he wanted to sign right now and the Coyotes didn't want to commit.

Edit: I spaced out. Misread quote. Seems like it was Letunov who didn't want to sign.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Getting two 3rds next year, versus whatever we get when we have to deal him with that gun to our head in two years is probably a better return in the eyes of management who are looking for flexibility right now today.

There's nothing to like about this. But I can't see being upset either. It's a non-issue for me.

Not really upsetting, just a little confusing. Seems unnecessary. Unless Letunov said or did something stupid. Or they actually want to look like an offer sheet threat. :naughty:

rt

May 13, 2004
This quote is disappointing for me. They should have just signed him right now if that's what he was asking for. He might not be a worldbeater just yet in the AHL but he could have handled it. I guess we don't know, but this makes it seems like he wanted to sign right now and the Coyotes didn't want to commit.

That is interesting. It does sound that way, doesn't it. Like he wanted a pro contract and the Coyotes didn't think he'd develop well in the AHL next season. Like he's not ready for that. Our amateur scouts seem pretty solid. If that's the feedback Chayka got from them, that Letunov isn't ready for the AHL, then whatevs.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
That is interesting. It does sound that way, doesn't it. Like he wanted a pro contract and the Coyotes didn't think he'd develop well in the AHL next season. Like he's not ready for that. Our amateur scouts seem pretty solid. If that's the feedback Chayka got from them, that Letunov isn't ready for the AHL, then whatevs.

With the depth of our forward prospects hitting the A this year, you'd think it would be pretty easy to shelter Letunov. Usually we have the problem convincing them to leave college early, not the other way around. Although Turris could have probably used another year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad