Prospect Info: Coyotes Top Prospects - #9

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The people have chosen MacInnis as #8 Incorrectly

#1 - Dylan Strome (36 votes - 87.80%)
#2 - Christian Dvorak (37 votes - 68.52%)
#3 - Clayton Keller (44 votes - 70.97%)
#4 - Jakob Chychrun (40 votes - 80.00%)
#5 - Anthony DeAngelo (30 votes - 44.78%)
#6 - Christian Fischer - (32 votes - 68.09%)
#7 - Brendan Perlini - (30 votes - 53.57%)
#8 - Ryan MacInnis - (25 votes - 46.3%)

Make sure to list prospects you want to see in the next poll

For the record I'm using HF's criteria for the poll

Coyotes Official Prospect list for reference

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Garland has skill to be special. Size to be not. He's high risk/high reward.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What's scary is there are guys who are going to be ranked in that 10-15 range who are going to play with the NHL team this year a la Martinook last year. Gaudet, dauphin, maybe even Samuelsson.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Lower ceiling for Dauphin, but surprised he hasn't gotten more love. Honestly, I think Looke could be ahead of Merkley as it stands now. Merkley will come back from injury, but Looke has played against men (albeit in the 2nd tier of Swedish hockey last year).

I am really intrigued by Looke on a LW role as a RHS in the future. Will be intriguing to see if we can get him over to the AHL soon.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I voted Merkley here again, but I have Wood over Dineen. I think they both have #3 potential, but Dineen needs more to go right to get there, with a much lower ceiling. As well, based on style, another smallish offensive defenseman on the team could make Dineen redundant (i.e. if DeAngelo becomes a top four defenseman, Dineen will not crack the roster), whereas Wood has a diverse enough skill set (not to mention half a foot) to carve out a role on any team.

That all said, there were only 27 players 5'11" or shorter who played 10 or more games in the NHL last season, but only 22 players 6'5" or taller appeared in 10. Wood and Dineen both represent outliers in terms of height, and there's a reason for that at both ends of the spectrum.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm already voting Dineen. In this poll.

how dare you have an opinion, sir!

I haven't paid nearly as much attention to junior hockey the last couple of years. Not enough hours in the day now. So feel free to take my rankings well salted because my record even when I was watching regularly was mixed at best haha Lauri Tukonen is going to become late blooming all around player and will justify my belief in him someday, and I still maintain we should have kept Isbister over Doan in the Riechel trade.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What's scary is there are guys who are going to be ranked in that 10-15 range who are going to play with the NHL team this year a la Martinook last year. Gaudet, dauphin, maybe even Samuelsson.

Yup. Fun times.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If you look at where they are in their development arcs, Wood is obviously closer to the NHL but that doesn't make him a better prospect. Dineen is arguably already better after his first season of junior hockey.

I haven't seen a ton of either but what I have seen of dineen hasn't impressed me, wood on the other hand has. Wood is older true, and dineen could end up better, I get it, but I still like wood better.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
how dare you have an opinion, sir!

I haven't paid nearly as much attention to junior hockey the last couple of years. Not enough hours in the day now. So feel free to take my rankings well salted because my record even when I was watching regularly was mixed at best haha Lauri Tukonen is going to become late blooming all around player and will justify my belief in him someday, and I still maintain we should have kept Isbister over Doan in the Riechel trade.

Outside of playoffs and international tournaments, I've had no exposure to amateurs this season. This moment represents the most ill informed I've been about hockey in general in the last five years. . Life got busy.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Wood over Dinneen? Uhh...
I'm already voting Dineen. In this poll.
The impression I've been given about Dineen is that he's all-offense. The only "NHL comparables" I've seen on him are all Keith / Shattenkirk, which is stupid. Reviews on Wood say he's more well-rounded, plus he's bigger, older, more mature, closer to the NHL, etc. What am I missing? Is his defensive game more robust than that? Is this Duncan Keith comp meaningful?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The impression I've been given about Dineen is that he's all-offense.

Your impression isn't complete. He plays in every role for North Bay, including on the PK.

Dineen sits 2nd in the league in defensemen scoring (2 points behind Barrie's Rasmus Andersson) and has emerged as one of the OHL's elite offensive blueliners. To put that in perspective, Anthony DeAngelo, Cody Ceci, Ryan Murphy, Ryan Ellis, and John Carlson are the only defenders in the last ten years to finish in the top 2 of defensemen scoring in the league during their draft year. All 5 were first round picks at their respective NHL Drafts.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/03/north-bays-cam-dineen-excels-in-his.html

He scored more than Chychrun and Sergachev on a much weaker team (granted, adjust for GP). He should probably be compared most to Gostisbehere, not Keith.

I vote on pure upside and likelihood to get there. Dineen has the most important bit - a mind for the game. He's pretty damn advanced in that regard. The single biggest marker for success is the ability to think the game, especially in terms of upside. There are a lot of plugs out there (even large ones) that are dumbasses, so they never become that top pairing guy or even a top 4 regular. I think Dineen is a good bet to have an Ellis style impact. If he takes it to the next level where Gostisbehere is, I'd be ecstatic.

Wood has the physical tools but I'm not as confident about him ever putting it together. Merkley basically lost a year yet he's still going to be top 10, thanks in large part to his upside. I don't see how you put Wood over Dineen, all things considered. First to have an impact? Sure. Better prospect? .... nah.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I value skating pretty highly. Dineen and Merkley both get dinged on my rating scale for that reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad