Prospect Info: Coyotes Top Prospects 2019 - #1

#1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
TBH we probably don't even have to bother with #1 and #2, but we will anyway to see who wants to be edgy I guess.

2018 list:
1 - Dylan Strome (47 votes - 83.9%)
2 - Barrett Hayton (29 votes - 61.7%)
3 - Pierre-Olivier Joseph (36 votes - 90%)
4 - Nick Merkley ( 28 votes - 63.6%)
5 - Kyle Capobianco (17 votes - 45.5%)
6 - Cam Dineen (14 votes - 32.6%)
7 - Adin Hill ( 16 votes - 39.0%)
8 - Kevin Bahl ( 11 votes - 34.0%)
9 - Tyler Steenbergen (15 votes - 39.5%)
10 - Jan Jenik (15 votes - 55.6%)
11 - Bunting (26 votes - 66.7%)
12 - Dauphin (22 votes - 56.4%)
13 - Westerlund (18 votes - 46.2%)
14 - Murphy (18 votes - 46.2%)
15 - Kirk (14 votes - 35.9%)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Damn. If only we knew last summer that Domi, POJ, Strome and Perlini would become Kessel and Schmaltz. Haha. Wild.

It's kind of funny - when you look at the names, the return is actually not too bad. Obviously, the season Domi had and Strome finally doing something didn't help skew the deals, but if someone were to say that we traded those 4 to return Schmaltz and Kessel, the difference isn't quite as glaring. Byers and the 4th clearly make up that difference, too :sarcasm:

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
It's kind of funny - when you look at the names, the return is actually not too bad. Obviously, the season Domi had and Strome finally doing something didn't help skew the deals, but if someone were to say that we traded those 4 to return Schmaltz and Kessel, the difference isn't quite as glaring. Byers and the 4th clearly make up that difference, too :sarcasm:
It's sad to think about but I don't think Strome was ever going to work out here properly and his value probably wasn't what it once was. I think getting Schmaltz is fantastic and at this point we just can't regret the trade, just have to move on with the players we have.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Voted Soda since Hayton really didn't dominate the way I was hoping he would.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's sad to think about but I don't think Strome was ever going to work out here properly and his value probably wasn't what it once was. I think getting Schmaltz is fantastic and at this point we just can't regret the trade, just have to move on with the players we have.

Strome v Schmaltz is a good study in faith. The Coyotes had none in Dylan, he had none in the team. He switches jerseys and suddenly he is the player he was drafted to be. The key is to not let the relationship get to the point where it's terminal in the first place.

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
Went soda after reading some of the coaches quotes rt posted, I've really liked this kid after I got over the initial shock of trading up to take a defenseman

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Voted Soda since Hayton really didn't dominate the way I was hoping he would.
I thought that too. But I looked at points per game for returned OHL forwards drafted in the 1st round in their D+1 year, and he’s up there with anyone other than Strome and the Knights (Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, etc).

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I just view Hayton as more important to the overall future of the team. I think Soda and him are about the same caliber of player. I view Hayton as a future top 5 forward. I view Soda as a top 3 defenseman. So ultimately it came down to the fact that I like our defensive prospect pool better than our forward prospect pool, thus making Hayton more important.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Went soda after reading some of the coaches quotes rt posted, I've really liked this kid after I got over the initial shock of trading up to take a defenseman

On a side-note, the team now have two sodas.

So you give the name to defenceman, because he arrived to the team first? But normally, that would have been determined by reaching the NHL first, eh?

:)

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I feel like I remember Avs fans calling Soderberg "Big Carl" too... or something of that sort and also the Yeti nickname rt said.

As for the poll... went Hayton as well for now. After this next season I might have a different viewpoint but that's a product of not seeing enough Soderstrom in comparison. Part of me wants to take the current need in positions as a factor, but if the question is just plainly "who's a better prospect".. then I try to look at it without the team's needs in mind.

Reactions: CC96

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
He’s been Yeti since Boston.

I hope something like this is on the jumbotron when he scores a goal...or whatever reason they can find to use it.

djfkqvkvnc-1556697544.gif

Reactions: Mosby

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Remember the crazy amounts of anxiety over his refusal to come to North America? Boston drafted him in the 2nd round and then the hockey world watched absolutely rip Sweden to shreds for NINE SEASONS before he finally came over. He was like 28 years old when he played his first full NHL season. People straight up could not handle the fact that he would not come over. People were freaking out. After all of that, he drops 48 points in his rookie year then 44 in his sophomore season, and boom, just like that he's a pending UFA and Boston has to trade his rights for a sixth so they get something out of him. Haha.

Reactions: CC96

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad