• Tyler Steenbergen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So the #1 poll isn't over yet but it's pretty over so let's do #2. Since everyone was super derelict in suggesting names y'all are getting my list :P

Make sure to suggest names to add for the next poll
Here's a handy list: Arizona Coyotes at eliteprospects.com

2018 Prospect Rankings

1 - Dylan Strome (47 votes - 83.9%)
2 - Barrett Hayton (29 votes - 61.7%)

Last edited:

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
Had to go with Joseph over hayton based on performance last year.

Edit
I'd like to see dineen, Burke, dauphin and Murphy added for the next one please

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Hayton was better in his draft year than POJ was in his. POJ has made progress but hasn't made an astronomical leap, he's more or less on track. Hayton is therefore the better prospect.

Merkley and Capo are probably my 4/5. After that it'd probably be Dineen.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
This is the hardest one for me. I view POJ and Hayton as pretty much even. I voted Hayton because that’s who I was feeling at this moment. I can see him eventually developing into a Daymond Langkow type center, and that’s pretty valuable.

Reactions: Kyle003p

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is the hardest one for me. I view POJ and Hayton as pretty much even. I voted Hayton because that’s who I was feeling at this moment. I can see him eventually developing into a Daymond Langkow type center, and that’s pretty valuable.

Hayton's absolute upside is higher than POJ. That's reflected in their relative draft positions. Didn't like Hayton's camp and loved what POJ showed, still went with Hayton.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Hayton's absolute upside is higher than POJ. That's reflected in their relative draft positions. Didn't like Hayton's camp and loved what POJ showed, still went with Hayton.
Completely subjective. Draft position is the worst way to project a prospects potential considering they all have different development arcs. Draft position indicates we have a sure fire number one center in Dylan Strome.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Completely subjective. Draft position is the worst way to project a prospects potential considering they all have different development arcs. Draft position indicates we have a sure fire number one center in Dylan Strome.

Absolute upside =/= likelihood to reach that upside. Strome was BPA at 3, isn't really off track, and still has incredible absolute upside. That's why he's #1.

Draft position is actually the best consensus on prospect potential we have. That there are outliers, busts, and players that don't go the way GMs envision is part of the process but it's about as close to an objective ranking of prospects as you'll get. This is reflected in the results - 1st rounders have the best chance of being NHLers with a decreasing probability after that.

It was entirely possible for POJ to drop into the 2nd round his draft year. It's likely Hayton would have gone top 10 even if the Coyotes passed. Hayton is the stronger prospect. For POJ to overtake him, he'd have to jump his developmental track into a higher gear, which he hasn't really done. I like his game and his progress so far, but he's merely on track. You also can't credit guys for developmental time that others haven't had, otherwise you end up doing silly things like ranking Kyle Wood as a better prospect than POJ.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
This isn’t even really close in my opinion...Hayton should be winning this poll with like 95% of the votes. I love that Chayka and the staff value quality people just as much as they do talent. Look at every successful organization in sports for the most part and find what’s common between them...one thing is lots and lots of quality, high character, smart people. Look at the Patriots and see what they do better than everyone else...they coach better, they develop talent better, and they pick out people that are smart that they can mold and teach. If Zadina has more pure raw talent than Hayton, but Hayton (who is also very skilled and talented) has a better work ethic, is a better teammate, has a higher hockey IQ and is a smarter more teachable person...I’ll take Hayton all day over him.

Reactions: PuckLife

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This isn’t even really close in my opinion...Hayton should be winning this poll with like 95% of the votes. I love that Chayka and the staff value quality people just as much as they do talent. Look at every successful organization in sports for the most part and find what’s common between them...one thing is lots and lots of quality, high character, smart people. Look at the Patriots and see what they do better than everyone else...they coach better, they develop talent better, and they pick out people that are smart that they can mold and teach. If Zadina has more pure raw talent than Hayton, but Hayton (who is also very skilled and talented) has a better work ethic, is a better teammate, has a higher hockey IQ and is a smarter more teachable person...I’ll take Hayton all day over him.
Why? Because he was picked 5OA? Merkley has done more in junior and has played very well in the AHL. He and Strome were neck and neck in scoring with Tucson last year and Strome was picked as #1 prospect. Why no love for Merkley? For the record I think Hayton will be a more valuable player, but if Merkley can lose the injury bug, he might surprise.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Why? Because he was picked 5OA? Merkley has done more in junior and has played very well in the AHL. He and Strome were neck and neck in scoring with Tucson last year and Strome was picked as #1 prospect. Why no love for Merkley? For the record I think Hayton will be a more valuable player, but if Merkley can lose the injury bug, he might surprise.

You’re right, Merkely could surprise and he definitely has some talent. I just think he is a bit of a long shot at this point because of injuries. I would be interested to see what that Crouse-Strome-Merkley line could do at the next level. All that being said, I think Hayton is just in a different category and will bring a lot more to the table on the ice and with his intangibles.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
You’re right, Merkely could surprise and he definitely has some talent. I just think he is a bit of a long shot at this point because of injuries. I would be interested to see what that Crouse-Strome-Merkley line could do at the next level. All that being said, I think Hayton is just in a different category and will bring a lot more to the table on the ice and with his intangibles.

He needs to show that he’s the clear cut best player in Juniors for him to move up for me IMO

Reactions: Kyle003p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad